HMS Prince of Wales 1/200 card model

ON one of the card model forums theres a pretty good translation sheet I'll see if I can find a link. I think its fun to try to figure stuff out. ALso be sure to se the symbols page that tells you what to do and where. BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

What I have done in the past is typed the polish text into Google Translator then copied and pasted the translation into word.

What I now do is scan the Polish instructions and save as a pdf file then use the OCR function of Adobe acrobat professional to convert the pdf into text.  Then copy the text to Word and then use Google translator to again translate into English then copy back into Word.

It is possible to miss the Google translator step by getting Word to convert the Polish to English directly but I have found Word doesn't translate nearly so good as Google so I do the extra step.  Luckily I have Adobe Professional on the work computer but there my be free OCR software out there if you haven't got Adobe.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

• 1 month later...

Thought I would offer a hand here, I am and have built many GPM Card kits, there are ways to translate, but the way it translates, leaves too me much to be desired.  In other words, the sentence sometimes does not make any sense.  So with that said, I study all drawings and there is a format f/sizes of card, wire and anyother noted detail, study them closely.  Follow the drawings to the letter and take your time and before you know it, a completed project is before you.

I just received a order from GPM and a future project will be the Graf Spee w/all the goodies.  Good luck and I will be watching for your build.

May I make a suggestion as well, go with a much easier kit and as you progress thru the builds, you will not need written instructions to build.  Hope this has helped.

Rick ;)

Edited by Shiphyte

I just received a order from GPM and a future project will be the Graf Spee w/all the goodies.  

Hi  Rick,

I hope you will start a build log.  I am fully immersed in card modelling now. I just need more spare time to do it.

Cheers

Slog 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

card models are a lot of fun but they are time consuming. I got a pile of them to build among them are the Fuso, Saint Basils Cathedral in Russia,a six foot DC-3, and I think an Iowa class battleship. I want more its almost as fun to go thru the parts books page by page as it is to build. BILL

Bill, in Idaho

card models are a lot of fun but they are time consuming. I got a pile of them to build among them are the Fuso, Saint Basils Cathedral in Russia,a six foot DC-3, and I think an Iowa class battleship. I want more its almost as fun to go thru the parts books page by page as it is to build. BILL

Halinski’s Fuso is on my must have list. 

I know what you mean I have a list as long as my arm of kits I want to get. I also enjoy going through the pages looking at the assembly diagrams and finding the parts and running through how I would build it in my head.  LOL

What I like about card modelling for me is due to my current modelling area (read kitchen table) I can set up and pack away very quickly with minimal mess to clean up!

Slog

For me it is a fold away coffee tv table in the corner of the living room.  I am getting hooked by now but some the models I would like to try my hand at are a little pricey at the moment or the size is a little on the large size. 

David B

I think the ultimate paper kit is the one offered by Marcle models of the SD-14 cargo ship. At around 7 feet long it would be a beast. Still ,it'd be a fun build if a person has time. Hmm,maybe if they made a laser cut kit.   BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Hi  Rick,

I hope you will start a build log.  I am fully immersed in card modelling now. I just need more spare time to do it.

Cheers

Slog

. Great to always hear of another cut an paste builder. It is very easy to get addicted to Card Models. I have had and built many. Now I am a bit more deliberate on what I build. I am working on a completely laser cut

Santa Marie @ this time.

Will post photos soon.

As for kits, there is no limit to subject matter. And yes, I agree, SD14 is the top dog of the kits.

I have found myself down sizing on the ships scale.

1/200 is a great scale to build in, I find myself buying more and more of the 1/250 and 1/300 scales. Is great to see such an interest in card modeling.

Rick 8)

Bill, have you thought about a ship model............I have seen some that rival museum repilcas made from card.........there is also a lady from across the Big Pond, her name is Doris, you should see what this artist does in card along with a few other fellas from the same neck of woods.  Her Victory, a real piece of art and all hand made from card!

Rick :dancetl6:

Wherever I am at...........there I am

KARTONIST in the making.......... B)

Doris has put her builds here on MSW.  An exquisite modeler.  Her ships are beyond works of art.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

There is a build log of the SD14 on the papermodellers web site.

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ships-watercraft/17103-sd-14-cargo-ship.html

Card modeling is not for everyone.  But if you do get bit by the bug, you are in for a ride.  People across the Big Pond from us have a way head start on this form of modeling.  But I have seen a steady increase of people interested in this form of modeling and if you look around, I have seen card models that rival other forms of modeling.

I started working with card models while stationed in FRG back in the 70's and I have messed with them ever since.

I like all forms of and types of card models, but ships are my fav.

I will not go into the kits I have, I will say this, I will not get all built until called home in the Bye and Bye.

But I am for sure going to give it a go.

I have started a thread and will follow along the others who are posting threads for this type of modeling.

Rick B)

Wherever I am at...........there I am

KARTONIST in the making.......... B)

Now, whats up w/that Prince of Wales........photos man photos.

Hopefully they'll show up in a build log. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 7 years later...