I can't find any scale nautical figures for a 1:90. Are all ships lifeless? (edited by admin)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Part of the problem is the rather odds scales, like your 1/90th scale, that model companies make their kits in. Marketing tells manufacturers that the average ship kit-builder is looking for something about "x" inches long that will fit a display table about "y" inches long. Therefore, they scale their vessel down to fit the desired size, and in so doing, they end up with some pretty strange scales, to be sure. (This I got from the manager of the long-gone Sarasota Model Expo Store.) That also makes it hard to find replacement cannon, etc., should the kit be lacking.

But you're close to 1/87th scale, which I believe is a common railroad modeler scale, (HO Scale - yes?), so you might find conductor and townsfolk figures to start with, should you want to modify them to look like sailors. 

Edited by uss frolick

Hi Mike,

you may want to look into scale 1:87 (common H0 model Train scale), search for sailors or ships Crew. I have not found figures in 1:87 for historic 18th century on the web yet.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

At the request of my son I am going to try to crew the HMS Surprise I am building. Had locating anything but found a company that does 20 mm war gaming naval Napoleonics. At 20 mm that should roughly be around 1/87. Not convinced that the look quite right for the size of the build but the figures themselves are pretty well made and have posted some.

Web site

http://newlinedesigns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=410_415_428

post-2873-0-70226300-1407182948_thumb.jpg

Edited by Waitoa