We will be cutting up and disposing of a large fallen poplar tree at the school where I work next week. This is the European poplar - very tall and slender - not the North American variety also known as tulipwood.

Does anyone have a view on whether it is useful for ship modelling, case construction or any other purpose related to our hobby?

Rob

Rob,

The Janka Scale hardness for Tulep is 540 where as the poplar that we commonly see in the US is 500 and bass is 380 for a comparison.  English box is 2840 and  Holly is 1080.   Best way to find out if it can be used  is to try a few pieces and see how you like working with it. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Poplar is a good replacement for bass wood.  A bit harder than bass.  I find it glues well and takes a nice finish.  One thing I like is that poplar does not get near as fuzzy as bass wood does when sanding.  Poplar can be milled into very thin strips on a circular saw with a hollow ground planer blade.  Good wood for framing and planking.

Edited by grsjax

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Poplar is a good replacement for basswood.  After drying it works great.  It is alittle harder than basswood and hold and edge.

David B

I have used poplar for larger projects like finish carpentry and furniture making and the like.  It is a very nice wood to work with and I see no reason why it would not work well for smaller parts and projects like our hobby. If anybody has any insight, I'm sure fellow readers would like to know

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

You guys have sealed the fate of a poplar that has been sending out runners and threatening some drains!

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

I have used poplar a lot for various wood working projects. I am now starting to use it for the frames of my next model.

To see some details, go to http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2191-hms-pelican-by-modeler12-per-harold-hahn%E2%80%99s-plans/

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

• 3 months later...

American Poplar has a great deal of green pigment in it.  It also has very similar grain as Cherry and takes a cherry stain well. 

It's excellent for painting and doesn't warp or twist, making it great for door panels and buildups. 

as far as modeling, I think it would be perfect for framing and bulkheads.

Warm Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Poplar is also very popular material for solid hull models, many of solid hulls in museums are poplar.

The finish is amazing, both for painting but also for planking.

Good wood for carving.

You can't go wrong with poplar. I have some waiting for a scratch built.

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Care needs to be taken with the name Poplar.

The accolades for the wood are most likely for - Liriodendron tuuipfera - Yellow poplar, Tulip poplar,Tuliptree, Canoe wood.

This is an excellent wood, especially if you like working wood with a hardness similar to Basswood.

Poplar is also the name for a different family of trees - probably closer to tall growing weeds  -  some of these

Populus nigra - Lombardy Poplar | alba - White Poplar | deltoides - Cottonwood | tremuloides - Quaking Aspen | x canadensis - Carolina Poplar.  

These tend to be "dirty" trees.  Rapid growing, weak-wooded,  fragile in wind storms, and drop a lot of junk.  I think the wood is soft and subject to splitting.  I am not sure which was the actual species, but I grew a row of "Siberian Poplar" - I think advertised on the back of Parade Magazine (never a good omen).  It did grow fast,  was dirty, brittle, and did not even make good fire wood - burned too fast with little heat.  Might as well use cardboard as that wood.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers