dgbot

What happens when you get old

397 posts in this topic

That's right guys, one 1 bit at a time. * 1024= kb, * 1024 = Kb, * 1024 = 1 mega byte. * 1024 = 1 megabit. * 1024 = 1 gigabit. So, correct me if I'm wrong Carl, but...

A "bit" is 1. * 1024 is a byte. * 1024 is a kilobit<SP?> * 1024 = 1 kilobyte,  * 1024 = 1 megabit, then, megabyte, gigabit, gigabyte...

Ha! MY fist rant! You're Internet Service Provider advertises 100 MB/Sec. Another says 100 Mb. What's the difference? From an advertising stand point, nothing. They don't now a bit from a byte. YOU will get the same speed as the next guy.

Byte me :champagne:

Omega1234, mtaylor and donrobinson like this

In either case you won't get the 100MB/sec nor the 100MB (per hour?) as you depend on the slowest server within the nodes, besides another ship load of things which influences your spead as you very well know

That's right guys, one 1 bit at a time. * 1024= kb, * 1024 = Kb, * 1024 = 1 mega byte. * 1024 = 1 megabit. * 1024 = 1 gigabit. So, correct me if I'm wrong Carl, but...

A "bit" is 1. * 1024 is a byte. * 1024 is a kilobit<SP?> * 1024 = 1 kilobyte,  * 1024 = 1 megabit, then, megabyte, gigabit, gigabyte...

Ha! MY fist rant! You're Internet Service Provider advertises 100 MB/Sec. Another says 100 Mb. What's the difference? From an advertising stand point, nothing. They don't now a bit from a byte. YOU will get the same speed as the next guy.

Byte me :champagne:

A "bit" is a binary 1 or 0 - a "byte" is 8 "bits"; the value 1024 is the number 2 raised to the 10th power e.g. 210

The value 1024 is represented by the letter K (meaning Kilo) - lower case b indicates bits; upper case B indicates Bytes.  the value 1024 multiplied by 1024 is Mega   (or 1024 squared or 220)  Giga is 1024 Mega (or 1024 cubed )

All of the values are powers of the number 2 (binary)

100 MB/sec is 100 Megabytes/sec ; 100 Mb/sec is 100 Megabits/sec - two vastly different speeds.  100 megabytes would be equivalent to 800 megabits since there are 8 bits in each byte.

<spent too too too much time programming mainframes  - these are probably permanently etched in my brain :o:rolleyes: >

So, then, it occurred to me, surprising though that may be to some, as I was reading through the posts on this topic that so many of the things you have shared are reminiscent of events and occurences that, over my many years, I have had the opportunity to experience. It also occurred to me, as I was typing this, that I started with a clear purpose and stiry which, regrettably, has somehow mysteriously wandered off. Please disregard the above - when I remember what I meant to say I'll be back.

badams_ios, cog, Omega1234 and 5 others like this

As they say at some of the senior communities.

I belong to the CRAFT club (Can Remember A #$%^&*1 Thing).

Hope I didn't offend anyone

Medically, it's CRRS or Can't Remember Stuff Syndrome.    I know this as I have it written down on sticky note and put somewhere so I wouldn't forget.  Now if I can just remember where I put it.....   :(

So, then, it occurred to me, surprising though that may be to some, as I was reading through the posts on this topic that so many of the things you have shared are reminiscent of events and occurences that, over my many years, I have had the opportunity to experience. It also occurred to me, as I was typing this, that I started with a clear purpose and stiry which, regrettably, has somehow mysteriously wandered off. Please disregard the above - when I remember what I meant to say I'll be back.

Just a helpful reminder, to guide you back to this forum, once you remember what you were going to discuss. :D

Canute, mtaylor, Omega1234 and 4 others like this

I'm sitting here trying to remember where I was going, can't remember where I came from, the kicker is I can't remember where I am, I really cannot accept getting older when a stranger at least 65 years old stops and says can I help you old man you look lost. (only in my mind)

Went to the movies a couple days ago to see "The Founder". The ticket person casually announced "One senior discount ticket for The Founder".

That is the first time that has happened to me, it was like the first time I bought booze, and was not asked for my ID card;  except with the reverse emotion. It was kind-of depressing.

They usually asked something like "are you a senior?" At least then I can say something snarky like "Senior to what?"  The only consolation I had, was that the ticket person was no spring chicken herself.

mtaylor, cog, Jack12477 and 7 others like this

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories.

Stephan Wright

Like telling the age of a tree by the number of rings, you can verify how old someone is by the number of operations and missing parts. Lord I thought I was younger. Calculating my age by that formula I must be 97. :(

mtaylor, cog, thibaultron and 6 others like this

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Stephan Wright,, I love that guy

badams_ios, cog, mtaylor and 5 others like this