HMS Victory by robipod - Caldercraft - 1805 version - first build

Amazing what one can get done when there are few distractions. Pushing along with cannons. All assembled with larger thread. Now figuring out coils and how I'm going to secure the lines on the deck. I understand that when the crew was in battle the ropes would just be on the gun deck.  Hmmmm.  As I'm going to add sailors etc. not sure what to do at the moment.  Did my first reasonable coil tonight. Have to think more about them. Getting there. More done in a couple weeks than all of last year. :) But it's off to sunshine tomorrow for snowboarding. Maybe I will have a brain wave coming down the mountain.

Modification to the shipyard. Added a 'plan holder'. Nothing fancy. A piece of metal (something- not sure what it is - close up attached) and some magnets. Total cost $9.04.  Don't know why I didn't' think of a strip of light metal on the wall and use magnets to hold the plan. Works okay for now.    Along with three screws too.  Also added a larger tablet to view images.

Well, the images are up once in a while, mostly Netflix... LOL..

post-1276-0-28173200-1452141811_thumb.jpg

post-1276-0-17637800-1452141830_thumb.jpg

post-1276-0-81828200-1452141846_thumb.jpg

post-1276-0-38099900-1452141911_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

Thanks Lawrence. Last year was really busy. But that was last year. Am enjoying pressing forward with the upper gun deck. Chinook rolled in last night so one of those awesome mild days we get in Calgary during the winter. I am having many reservations about the modifications (however small) that I've been doing on the model.

Have placed the cannons at various distances from the bulkheads and glued them to the deck. Most of them are glued at this point.. Now I'm not sure i should have done so. But I'm not going to change them LOL I was looking and photographing in the week hours last night and no longer sure of my decisions. Maybe I'll have a case for the ship that is filled with smoke! That might help. Going to put sailors in three places now on this deck. Midship stern and bow so when one looks into the model from those points one sees sailors. With so much hidden on upper gun deck i don't feel filling the deck with a hundred sailors is worthwhile

Am stting at a nearby Tim'so on a tablet that arrived under the tree. Big difference from my two 24 inch monitors. Am saying this as I can't review what I've said LOL

I do know that the experience making the cannons for this deck is invaluable for the guns that will be seen on deck!

I consider the main item to try solving is the thread and rigging the cannons. Have not come up with a solution to having thread (ropes) lay on deck and just look natural. More reading required before last decks.

Maybe will post a picture of what I've ended up with .

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

Rob,

Enjoying following along. Mostly silent or with a "like" here and there. That said great work. Love your carriage riggings !!

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Rob

A belated happy new year.

Just realised how long it is since I caught up with your build (feeling guilty)

I'm loving some of the things you are doing, the crew look just great.

Will be a real special model when you are done.

Rope coils are a difficult decision, probably unlikely in reality but they do look great.

I have a process using a couple of small bits of clear plastic that works well.

So, back to my rigging.

It's driving me nuts trying to get hands and tweezers amongst the many lines without tearing them out. :D

All the best

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Upper gun deck almost done. Clean up and a few coils left. Looking at Quarter deck and re-reading the manual to figure out what I've missed. LOL. Went for a sail today to test the cannons.. :pirate41:

Decided to create a couple fill-in masts for the time being.

post-1276-0-05171100-1453618572_thumb.jpg

post-1276-0-83551800-1453618579_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

Nick awesome to hear from you. I am looking forward to following your lead on the rigging. :)  Keep going. You have at a least a year on me now.. I posted these two backwards didn't i? Sorry :), Two NFL playoff games tomorrow. Will have to finish the coils between touchdowns!!!

Rob in Calgary

Nice build , enjoyable to follow :-)

Only remark is the cluttering of the gratings ...

If you still have the option to move the so called "items" somewhere else it would be beneficial for the lower decks, as the gratings provide fresh air and some daylight for the decks underneath. Also they were removed on a regular base to heave in and out and up and down the "items" as the steps were not practical to carry stuff.

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

coming along very nicely, Im presently doing the shrouds on my main mast 3 pairs completed each side now

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Daniel, I never realized that the purpose of the grates was fresh air. Thanks for letting me know. Might pull the rest of the clutter off from your comment.  I actually pulled the 'clutter' off the back two grates.  I did however build in an air conditioning system for my crew in the lower decks :)

Went for a cruise today. Some of the clutter went overboard. You are right. Looks better. Thank you and the crew does need air.

post-1276-0-61064500-1453699210_thumb.jpg

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

Upper gun deck done! Even more items fell overboard today to clear the grates. :) Didn't think I would reach this point so soon. It's that same old 'just keep plugging away--it will eventually be done" or something like that. Having fun with the green cloth I hung behind the ship.. LOL... done with the graphics for a bit.

post-1276-0-35923800-1453778882_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

Skid beam assembly I've been messing around with the beams. Have assembled and been fitting etc. Instructions suggest fitting assembly after quarter deck partially glued. Has anyone attached the assembly to the quarter deck before glueing the deck in place? It seems to me that I can mount to the quarter deck before I put the decheck down. I may not be explaining this properly lol.. is there something I'm missing in completing the assembly? I think it can be installed directly to the deck pattern and then the whole unit installed. It will be easier to do the stanchions too. Thoughts?

Rob in Calgary

Looks phenomenal Rob! it brings the ship to life. I'm really going to have to learn how to paint those glittle guys.

Best, Ian

Quarter deck on! Not according to instructions. Pre-glued the skid beam assembly to ply sheet. Mounted the bitt pins. Then glued the deck into place. I could not have done the sailors etc. if I had followed the instructions. Would have taken them all out. [ :)] . It was relatively easy to do it this way. Did measure, remeasure and remeasure and fitted it multiple times..   Am happy it worked!  Going to let it dry for 24 hours. Going snowboarding!...

post-1276-0-93988800-1454641208_thumb.jpg

post-1276-0-83085200-1454641303_thumb.jpg

post-1276-0-77694400-1454641398_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

While looking for some back lighting for my TV I found this gem at IKEA. These LED lights are inexpensive and appear to make great accent lighting for the ship. Just a thought for everyone.

post-1276-0-93255100-1455130278_thumb.jpg

There are three sets of LEDs.Each easily attached so you can have one to three sets.

post-1276-0-12516500-1455130299_thumb.jpg

Not the best of pictures. The light burning on the hull does not show up when one uses eyes... :) and there are two sets of LED in the picture. Placing one string in front and the other behind might be very effective. Over to you!

post-1276-0-60014600-1455130318_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

Started to plank the quarterdeck. Have an idea for protection of the skid beam assembly and interior. Purchased a sheet of clear polyester. It is the exact length of the assembly so only one cut by scissors. Laid the clear plastic on top of the skid beams for the foreseeable future.

Here is the product and what it looks like in position. Was considering cutting 1 x 3 slots in the quarterdeck and filing with the polyester to 'see more of the upper gun deck' but shelved the idea.

post-1276-0-56194400-1455262934_thumb.jpg

post-1276-0-13977800-1455262951_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

Rob, yet another solution from the innovation master!

Best, Ian

Edited by Seventynet

Thanks Ian, but I read a lot too. Others give me the ideas. Here is the challenge I was talking about when we had coffee. Sighhh... LOL Am out 01.5 mm. Oh darn... Am pretty sure it has to do with some of the inconsistency of the width of the 1x4. Well, it couldn't be my measurements... LOL..

post-1276-0-59259000-1455488155_thumb.jpg

post-1276-0-68194300-1455488319_thumb.jpg

Edited by robipod

Rob in Calgary

Darn, time for a stealer I guess. It would probably be too much work and too fiddly but you could shave a quarter of both plank lines the rest of the way to the bow so that you'd have 3 plank lines of equal width

post-19382-0-64083900-1455506916.png

Done. Did the stealer/spacer. Nobody but me and the rest of you here will know. It is barely distinguishable. I'll put some stuff on deck to really take the eye away from it. Like a platoon of marines... LOL... all standing in line on top of it...

(I have no idea how many in a platoon btw)

post-1276-0-31951400-1455519250_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

I'm thinking of doing something a bit weird. Kinda weird. LOL... Okay here it is. If you've read my build you might remember that I've got some authentic wood from HMS Victory. Yes, all legal... My plan has been to do the beakhead deck with wood strips I have cut from the block of the Victory. Now that I am doing the final deck I am seriously considering putting two racing stripes down the deck as in the photo. (not lined up properly) No, not racing stripes but two (actually four but looks like two) strips of the real Victory right into the quarterdeck. Do you think I'm nuts????

I am not leaving the deck the natural colour and will be giving it an ever so light brushing to give it a greyed look similar to the one I did on the very first deck. Was that the lower gun deck... It's been so long. LOL...

It will contrast. Can I pull it off?  It should make for a conversation piece. Will it look way too weird?

Am 90% there to put them in just explaining this. It will really be unique... LOL..

post-1276-0-73411600-1455597851_thumb.jpg

Rob in Calgary

Hi Rob,

Yes, do it, not weird at all! I'm also building this model and through pure chance managed to get hold of a certified piece of the old girl herself and now have a complete rudder in original oak. I could smell the tar as I worked it. 

I am enjoying following your build - keep up the good work!

Graham