HMS Surprise by Waitoa - Mamoli - Scale 1:75

On 25/06/2017 at 1:12 PM, S.Coleman said:

Looking real sweet.  The red on the gunport linings really picks out the look.  Nice :)

Thanks for the feedback,started painting the hull this week so will post some more photos later, will have to scratch build the stern which I am not looking forward too

Will be interesting!  Hopefully all will go in your favour.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

On 30/06/2017 at 1:33 AM, Rossi46 said:

Its fun seeing a boat youve built yourself, and consequently become quite intimate with, being built in a different scale by someone with a different vision. Great job!  Thanks for sharing your build🍻

Thank you for posting yours as I will be borrowing some ideas from it, I am enjoying this build even though I have made a number of mistakes.  Each one though I have learned some new techniques or really had to think my way out of a self inflicted issue.

• 3 months later...

Just saw your note on stern windows problem. I think it’s going to require some ingenuity. There are seven windows going across so you will need to find the center and then place the three columns evenly across each side to create the gaps for the windows on each side. The columns are at a slight angle. Once you delineate the gaps you can add decorative trim painted gold on top vertically or maybe cut out the metal from the kit to lie on it to create a 3D effect?

Then you can build individual windows. I used microscope coverslip glass to get the effect I wanted but have seen cellophane used. I hinged some of my windows to open. 

See bottom of page 1 of my build. Sorry, I’m on vacation using my phone so can’t transfer pics in...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi,

Making slow progress and started to rig the guns that will be visible.  Trying to live a more minimalist lifestyle and that doesn’t really work when you like making models and have a number of half finished projects lying about.

Also found when I started this hobby I went for the cheaper end and smaller end of the kit set market.  In hindsight with a limited skillset and thick fingers think it will be worth paying a bit more and going up in scale.

Waitoa

4D48B817-67BD-4B47-9C23-57FE07417C59.jpeg

B56D5A06-898F-4DD6-9C9A-B368FD59291E.jpeg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished the carronades that I intend to fit.  Trying to get slowly more accurate in terms of rigging guns but the scale and my incompetence works against me.  The real Surprise was rigged with carronades but the having read the books I don’t see any reference to them being used other than ballast but I could be wrong.  I just like the brute look of them so thought a few at the bow would look good.

14D9F9A2-9109-4F51-8D25-7A17DA74155C.jpeg

4B0DC2BB-3AFA-422A-8C85-F9F5CDEF480D.jpeg