gerty

Willie L. Bennett by gerty - Model Shipways - First Build

Thanks so much for the kind words; Mike, Kurt, Bob and Popeye !  - its much appreciated .  -and thanks for the info Ron.

The Davits completed  -  *Check that - a new Edit:  the Davits are not completed ( I removed pics ).

I wasn't happy about how thick and heavy the braces for the Davits supports looked - so rather than keep looking at them  - they are off and being built again.   The brass strip I used for the braces was too thick and I will be using a thinner piece for the second attempt - Fortunately, the Willie L Bennett is still intact after removing the Davits....phew :) .

Edited by gerty

Hi Gerty

Great job you are doing on your skipjack, I have been caught up in my own little corner of the old ship yard for to long now and decided to take a look around.   Your little ship sure has grown since my last visit to your build log. I do love so very much to see a lot of detail added to a model ship and you are doing such a great job at that, very well done,                                                                                                                ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Thanks so much Lawrence !

The Davits are done - The Davits are done.  Phew.   Nice step to complete as gives view of overall length of the model.

The second pic shows the Davits before being added - the braces on the supports arent sodered to the Davits at this point -for ex, one slid up to end of the Davit in placing for the pic.

Next up - the metal work continues with work on the Dredge Winder, the A-Frame and the solder test with the Dredges.

thanks for looking - 

post-872-0-67151400-1456324159_thumb.jpg

post-872-0-31796500-1456324168_thumb.jpg

post-872-0-36060300-1456324175_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerty

I love Skipjacks and your looking great. I bet all the metal work is fun. I really enjoy working with brass tube and solder. It's fun coming up with jigs and fixtures.

Edited by alde

Hi Gerty

Great job on your iron works for your winder, it sure is looking very nice,                                                                   ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Thank you so much ; Matt, Craig, Alde, Popeye and Lawrence !   & for the Likes.

Have done some work with the Dredge Winder. Looks like the Winder Engine Cover will soon be permanetly attached to the deck. Will be away from the workbench for the next two weeks but look forward to completing work on the A-Frame and Dredges upon my return.

thanks for looking ! 

post-872-0-68294600-1457111107_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerty

Hi Gerty

Just catching up on your great build, my but you sure are turning your little Willie L Bennett  into a beautiful little ship, WELL DONE,                                                                             ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Gerty:

Your metal work is really very nice. I wish mine looked half as good. Great work.

Russ

Gerty,

Great job, just took a look at it this morning.  I built the H A Parks years ago from, scratch bread and butter.  I never completed the winder and got started on something else.  Think this may inspire me to finish the winder. 

Hi Gerty

Just out looking around at all of the great ships here on the MSW Form and dropped in looking for an up date but alas it looks like I am just a bit to early,                                                                             ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Thanks so much Lawrence, Russ,Jack, Bill  and Shoule for the kind words !

The summer months have again taken me away from the workbench - but have been looking at the plans of late - specifically how to tackle the A-frame construction - and hope to have an update soon . 

Hope everyone is doing well -

Hi Gerty

Just looking around the form and checking on for another of your great update, but alas it looks like I am just a bit to early, will check back in a few days, ENJOY.

Regards. Lawrence

Thanks so much for the nice comments ; Popeye, Michael, Lawrence, Jack, Steve and Bob !  

Haven't been to the workbench in awhile but look forward to working on the Willie L. Bennett !

Thanks for looking.

Wow  - time has certainly flown by but now thrilled to have cleared the workbench for the Willie L. Bennett !

I continue to enjoy and learn from the beautiful builds here & thanks to all who have followed along and hope all are doing well ! 

Very early work on the A-frame  - prior to further additions, cleaning, filing and blackening.

Rod used to hold Iron block is tubing which is flattened and drilled at its end.   Angled brass strips are used for the top bars & legs. 

Time to move towards getting the Willie L. Bennett out to sea, I mean ..on the shelf. 🙂

My first attempt at posting a pic via my phone versus my camera - we'll see how it works.

Thrilled to add a progress pic and thanks for looking - 

WLBAF.jpg

Edited by gerty

Phew ..... a few pics of the completed blackened A-Frame.

Currently the Wheel box & Cabin are attached to the deck.

Thanks so much for looking -  

WEBAframe2.JPG

WEBAframe5.thumb.JPG.9fc63c03848e657ebf493d234d6f0f41.JPG

Edited by gerty