Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Hi Michael - 

There should be a term for that senior moment when I realize that the glasses that I am looking for are perched on my head !! 

Outstanding metal work, as usual.  When you get all your photos together, it would be great if you could post your lessons here, or maybe even turn them into a book.  Just get together with Bob Friedman at Seawatch Books and see what he says.  I know I would be at the head of the line to buy it.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Ah Michael,  she's as lovely as ever and nice to see you back.

By the way, how's the house hunting going?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks again everybody for the kind remarks and the likes.

Dan, not sure about a book, but certainly I can develop some Step by step pages for the various parts.

I did more organizing in the new work space in the house today.

this evening I did a quick pencil sketch of the section for the cabin light. it will be Mahogany and will open.

post-202-0-80995100-1446263213_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-40894700-1446263215_thumb.jpg

I was reading in my boatbuilding manual by Robert M Steward that 1/2 inch lexan is a good material for the lights. I used the basic design that is on Carlotta as there are a few good photos of the restoration of her lights in the 2006 restoration gallery here and here I am making a guess at the thicknesses of the materials for the main carcass using 1 1/2 inch thick stock.

Carlotta had a very interesting history and I believe that she is still in based Canadian Waters.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael, I think if you did choose to write a book explaining your techniques in a step-by-step way, it would be an instant best-seller. It would certainly find its way onto my bookcase!

Grant thanks for the vote of confidence. All those who added likes thanks for following along.

I laid out the skylights on the forward part of the cabin roof and realized that I needed to change the length a little to take advantage of the beams underneath.

I first marked out the hole with some blue masking tape and used a sharp #11 to knife along the ends to cut through the very top fibres the fir tends to be a little brittle and I did not want to upset any fibres during the cutting with the saw.

post-202-0-30880800-1446321791_thumb.jpg

I cut from the ends to the middle because of the size, this made it a bit easier to handle I did break one blade cutting the piece out.

post-202-0-12104700-1446321792_thumb.jpg

I used a 3 inch wide piece of aircraft ply with some sandpaper glued on with some double sided carpet tape as a large file to clean up the cut edges, making sure to only put pressure on the stroke towards the inside or bottom.

the opening is now 36" wide by 50" long. Time to add the inside framing.

post-202-0-21075900-1446321793_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

A little more work this evening, I milled the half round water channels into the bottom half of the top beam composition, this beam appears to be made of the lower channels and a curved top part that accepts the hinges and forms the top radius.

post-202-0-13461600-1446342676_thumb.jpg

the middle channel on each side will get tennoned in when the sides are dovetailed to the ends.

Off to Calgary tomorrow morning to see my new granddaughter who was born on the 16th of October.

Michael

Sweet work on the skylight.  Have a good trip and congrats on the granddaughter.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Michael, one thing to say ... your work is absolutely awesome!!! :)  Congrats on the granddaughter!!

Kind Regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

Thanks one and all for all the kind comments and congratulations

Here is the gang in the style of who's on first

My eldest son is holding my new granddaughter who was born to my youngest son and wife, right in front of me is my eldest granddaughter, born to my eldest son and his wife next to my eldest grandson who is a brother to the youngest granddaughter behind his cousin who is who is the nephew of my youngest son who is behind my third oldest grandchild. :rolleyes:

Oh I have no idea who the thin guy in the back is.

Michael

post-202-0-50383400-1446485967_thumb.jpg

Edited by michael mott

Michael,

You must be so proud and happy! Seeing that picture made me smile from ear to ear! Congratulations on having "built" such a marvelous family!!!!!!!!

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Thanks everyone for the very kind comments and for all the likes.

Yes I'm happy that the boys have great families and that they are both happy with their work.

Back to the skylight now.

Today I cut the dovetails for the corners, not as clean as I would have liked but acceptable for this one.

First the backsaw for cutting the pins

post-202-0-57994300-1446517589_thumb.jpg

followed by the jewelers saw to remove the waste

post-202-0-40751600-1446517590_thumb.jpg

all the pins cut

post-202-0-14002400-1446517591_thumb.jpg

next the side boards were marked to receive the pins

post-202-0-06444300-1446517592_thumb.jpg

these were cut out with the jewelers saw and cleaned up with some needle files

post-202-0-91830500-1446517592_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-75851100-1446517588_thumb.jpg

After the main frame carcass was dry assembled the ends were filed down with a safe edged square file, I like to sit the assembly on a sheet of sandpaper which grips the whole thing from sliding around without resorting to a vice or clamps.

post-202-0-71644400-1446517627_thumb.jpg

next the sawn rebate needed to be slanted so I sloped the side of a heavy sanding block (1 1/2 inch stock) and carefully sanded down the edge to the angle.

post-202-0-71824900-1446517628_thumb.jpg

Next will come the middle divider channel.

post-202-0-82957700-1446517629_thumb.jpg

Michael

Beautiful Work Michael, well done. Congrats on a great looking Family 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Wonderful to have your frequent updates back, Michael. Especially like the first few black and white artsy photos. Are you now dabbling in photography also?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks Pete. Patrick yest the great thing about building in this scale is being able to pretty much follow the full size practices.  I think that in many ways it is much easier especially with regard to material selection. One can get away with the out of scale grain in some places because of this.

Michael

Greg, thanks, regarding the Black and white, I saw some really fantastic black and white photographs of some early farm equipment on another model forum and thought about how rich many of the old black and white reference photographs were. The thing that I like most about them is the great depth of focus they had, even when blown up on the screen the details seem to remain really sharp. 

I wonder if that has anything to do with the difference between the old silver nitrate verses the modern digital processing. or possibly smaller  F stop and longer exposures.

The one thing that I do like about our new cameras is the ability to shoot in color or black and white, and the capability to delete and shoot again without having to send the film away and then be disappointed that 6 of the pictures were either too dark or too light or blurry.

Michael

Thanks David and for the likes that other posted.

Last pic for today of the centre beam roughed in.

post-202-0-49361100-1446529143_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow I will glue it together and finish the top edges.

Michael

Fine work.  Thanks for showing us how it is done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I agree with Cap'n'Bob, Amazing work 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

After gluing the case together the ends of the channels needed a little more work in the way of small extensions so that the water doesn't just trickle down the side and ends. This was accomplished by taking a small strip of mahogany, and milling a groove the same as the channels then shaping the outside curve to create a cup like extrusion.

post-202-0-66286700-1446666813_thumb.jpg

This end was then rounded with files and sandpaper Oh and i had some help

post-202-0-85864700-1446666816_thumb.jpg

these were then cut off with a jewelers saw and glued to the appropriate locations.

post-202-0-44774900-1446666814_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-21263900-1446666815_thumb.jpg

The side channels were a little more tricky to cut, and had first to be sanded to the same angle. I did this by placing the cup shaped piece on the side of the case and finishing the end with the sanding block.

post-202-0-92187400-1446666815_thumb.jpg

Cutting these off was done slowly with the jewelers saw with my finger underneath the end to act as a support, As the blade neared the bottom of the curve I used a micro back and forth motion  until the cut parted off the pieces.

post-202-0-93092400-1446666818_thumb.jpg

these were then glued to the sides

post-202-0-59733500-1446666817_thumb.jpg

After all the extensions were glued and set they were cleaned up with some 400 grit sandpaper.

post-202-0-22132100-1446666818_thumb.jpg

The top bar was then shaped with a block plane and files and connected to the case with a couple of brass woodscrews from below.

post-202-0-63514400-1446666819_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-14352700-1446667835_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-36106600-1446666820_thumb.jpg

Next the hinged lights need to be made and fitted.

Michael