Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

Hello Michael,

I worked me trough all te pages and I enjoyed your buildinglog very much. It is amazing how you build everything to the finest details.

Kind regards, Kees

Russ, Albert, Patrick, and Kees thanks for your kind words, i have been busy this summer sailing my yawl on the lake, working on some watercolours and other summer related activities.

I will be back on the model soon enough.

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for your comment, Michael.  We worry when we don't hear from our friends often enough.  We're glad you're having fun but don't forget to check in and say, "Hi"' once in a while.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hi Bob and Lawrence, Thanks for your thoughts and concern. With so many different avenues of interest I sometimes feel a little divided, Almost like a lack of focus.  I can focus intensely for a period on one project, then get sidetracked and follow its course before remembering something on the original project, and so go back to it and the cycles repeat, and so it goes. If only there were 48 hours in each day....

Then there is house maintenance, and visiting, the afternoon nap... you understand.

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

I know the feeling...........;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Michael

I was worrying about getting the fold neat (sheet metal work wasn't my best apprenticeship experience) so I came up with a slightly different plan which I will try when I am next home - Friday. If it does not work I will try your method. 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 3 months later...

What a treat!

I don't know if I've ever seen a cleaner build Michael.
You have got to be very proud.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

• 1 month later...

Well thanks to everyone who have pressed the like button on this rather slow build.

I took a break from all the other stuff today and did a bit more reworking of the cabin I am still working out the shape and size of the companionway into the hull.

The underside of the forward section of the cut up cabin was a bit weak and so I added a thin reinforcing strip to keep things together until the rear cross timber is added

Capture2135.JPG.8ee4c80b056858683a6e55a3f5e526d3.JPG

I shortened the rails and the hatch and also cut the rear section of the old cabin top in half along the line of the front of the new structure (temporary blocked up to see if this shape and size feel right)

Capture2139.JPG.5a8c9979811d5f2477801d6595a462f2.JPG

Capture2140.thumb.JPG.1d4f390ce65b05578353a05efab08894.JPG

Capture2141.thumb.JPG.c23fb10d6c3e6384b0468aaa37e53956.JPG

So I will sit with this for a couple of days and then if it still feels about right I will finish up the structure and it will be fixed permanently with the rear section to the deck. Access to the interior will still be adequate through the two forward sections in order to load and unload the ballast weights.

Michael

Good to see your work moving forward again.  Always an inspiration.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

good to see you working on her again........I enjoy your work ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

It's nice to see more of such a beautiful boat.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 2 weeks later...

One can't appreciate the detail and expert craftsmanship in builds such as this unless they take a walk through the process, or have walked that path themselves.  Every time I see your work, Michael, I think I am in a boat yard watching the master shipwright ply his craft.  Beautiful work, Michael!

Julie

First and only build: Endeavour - 1934 American's Cup, UK Challenger, J-Class - Amati 1:35

Thank you all for your support and encouragement.

Since it seems that winter does not want to let go in these parts I might be able to spend a bit more time working on the cutter alongside the restoration work which I should technically working on diligently in the day time hours.

But it is evening.

I am also beginning to get back to the compass and am working on the glass viewing and access port. the first task is to cut the foundation ring for the oval support that the lid will hinge off.

IMG_1366x800.jpg.1f04b4937a9692c085f8e380417216b6.jpg

The copper dome was inverted onto a scrap of  .031" (.8mm) brass sheet by inverting the dome and scribing a line to mark the inside diameter of the ring.

Next will be to fret out the hole and then use the hole as a guide with an odd-leg divider or caliper to scribe the outside of the line parallel to the inside hole.

Michael

CaptureDSCN0017.JPG

Hi John the compass works properly one of the things I need to add are a pair of iron balls I have a little cast iron that I salvaged from a BBQ Grill it is just a matter of turning them up

Michael

Michael. Nicely done. I'm looking forward to the next instalment with anticipation.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

After my afternoon nap a little more progress.

first I set up the plate to drill a hole for the fretting out of the central portion.

DSCN0026x1024.jpg.67f33410a3299dce18ec5d76a1db172a.jpg

And while looking for a couple of wrenches to tighten the collet I came across my very first tool that i made in school metalwork class an adjustable spanner, a great project that included all the major hand tool operations from cutting with a hacksaw to filing, bevels and holes, also draw filing  and lathe work for the adjusting nut, tapping and threading, riveting and also case hardening by heating up the main body to almost white heat in the forge and then plunging it into a tub of carbon powder. All before I reached the tender young age of 14.

DSCN0027x1024.jpg.24f669ccb63ee80b8aea47673dd4b240.jpg

The next picture shows the bow compass ready to mark the line for the next cut with the jewelers saw.

DSCN0032x1024.jpg.cbd480b8d6c2b630a92aedae629aaa23.jpg

And cut out ready to file to finish size.

IMG_8691x1024.jpg.14f1f8f27e20b5729360ee71d9a5c060.jpg

Temporarily balanced over the hole for a test to see how it will look.

IMG_8693x1024.jpg.3541295ce37c477f1f7aba2f83ed74d4.jpg

I found the picture of the cast Iron from the BBQ grill that I will use to turn up the iron balls, the bar is machined from one of the grill to eventually to be fitted as a firebox grill in a steam locomotive.

IMG_6354x1024.jpg.1d42b78e5937be6ef1f925498a58e1ae.jpg

Michael

Michael. Re first tools.

I remember those days well. All nuts came with acres of space around them and no obstructions in sight. Perfect for accommodating the pride and joy of our schoolboy and apprentice exploits. My first product was a pipe wrench, hack sawn, hand filed, drilled, turned, reamed, riveted, case hardened and lovingly polished. Alas it is no more, its teeth gradually fell off and it was consigned to that great scrap yard in the sky. I bet these days kids make them on 3D printers and wonder what all the fuss is about.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

1 minute ago, KeithAug said:

All nuts came with acres of space around them and no obstructions in sight.

Ah yes engines that you could actually fix without needing to completely disassemble the whole front end to get to a nut that adjusts the alternator. LOL

Michael 

Thanks Julie, and thanks for all those who pressed the like button.

I used an old Watchmaking tool as a go no-go gauge to file the ring down to a constant width.

IMG_8694x1024.jpg.974b23cb7f23e1196cd2a9667770cb5f.jpg

Then set up the copper dome in the third hand in order to solder the brass ring to it.

IMG_8697x1024.jpg.28a182a346f450ad08f88e0f2b519aaa.jpg

temporarily reassembled

IMG_8702x1024.jpg.73fbaf2fc35be476c062faf6a46f5866.jpg

IMG_8708x1024.jpg.e3f4f21d533a13630cb6fa2160862776.jpg

time for bed

Michael

That is really quite brilliant!  Soft solder I assume?

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Michael,

I`m with john and the others....

super detail compass....;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50