Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

7 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Soft solder I assume?

Hi Keith yes it is soft solder done with the hot air soldering gun.

Thanks ,John, Nils , Igor

I am going to see how turning up a pair of cast iron balls works today.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Oooh, nice! Also love the adjustable spanner (wrench) that you made lo those many years ago. 

Do I assume that the compass will work when completed? Otherwise you might just use brass for the balls (adolescent snigger).

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

7 hours ago, druxey said:

Do I assume that the compass will work when completed? Otherwise you might just use brass for the balls

Hi Druxey yes the compass will be fully operational.

I spent some time this morning making some soft iron balls

IMG_2185x1024.jpg.321d02e1a32688308cb5378d46a89d04.jpg

They turned out well but are way to small for the scale I am working in as i was doing this I realized that I did not fully understand the mechanism for the balls or how they worked.

To be clear on the function of the soft iron Balls.

I read a number of articles about binnacles and found the technical stuff surprisingly hard to find.

This one was one of the better ones and also a child's article on making a compass has led me to rework the innermost parts of my own.

This picture shows the parts of the compass I have made and also the tiny parts from a ridiculous pocket knife compass that showed the alignment of the pocket knife and nothing else. The pocket knife compass though has a one piece that will be able to replace the huge brass mass with the rare earth magnets. 

IMG_8709x1024.jpg.b8d85fe26b3e1efbc4bf96d224d19741.jpg

The cup hanging inside the gimbals  will need a bit of modification to hold the black cup and compass base.

I will make a new card to fit over the compass in the black cup, and rework the brass cup to have a needle for the new compass instead of the black plastic cup.

The other thing that will need to be done is a cover that will prevent the new compass from lifting off the pin, there is enough meat in the brass cup to drill and tap some holes for retaining screws on a 1/32 plexiglass cover. 

The soft iron balls will no doubt wind up in the spare stuff tray.

Looks like a bit of lathe work is in order.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Very nice compass! The purpose of the iron spheres is to help mitigate the effects of an iron hull on the magnetic compass. There should also be a vertical iron rod (the flinders bar) to offset that component of the magnetic field. I hate to break it to you, but since your hull is wood, I doubt that your compass would have been fitted with those extras, they would do more harm than good.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Andy great to hear from you.

32 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

I hate to break it to you, but since your hull is wood, I doubt that your compass would have been fitted with those extras, they would do more harm than good.

Andy this is the conclusion that I came to after all my reading today. So they will not be installed and as I noted in the last post I just edited. However I think I will have a better gimballed compass at the end of the day as a result.

Michael

14 minutes ago, michael mott said:

However I think I will have a better gimballed compass at the end of the day as a result.

Michael - 

I was going to say that your work on the binnacle is superb.  But if you are going to end up with a better one, I will hold off for now.  I am in danger of running out of superlatives.

Superb, nonetheless.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Dan thanks for the kind words.

This evening I reduced the depth of the inner cup and machined a new insert it is drilled through with a .6mm hole at the top and threaded 1/4 inch deep x 8/32 thread on the bottom.

IMG_8711x1024.jpg.7a8b291803895ba67faf1fc626984f25.jpg

This allows the needle to be adjusted up or down, the needle is in fact the end of the 8/32 screw machined down and honed to a point to hold the compass.

IMG_8713x1024.jpg.4ad5a50d239c8e8321cbf8613d0bce0d.jpg

The magnetic part placed on the pin

IMG_8715x1024.jpg.0f77dfe3a4088692a5b544b955f7c024.jpg

I tested the pivoting by bringing a pair of metal tweezers up to the compass and the needle swung to them

IMG_8716x1024.jpg.0a350cdea7745fca5da04de00916bfdb.jpg

Next to find the print that I made for the compass and mount it on the metal magnetic part. Also the plexiglass cover.

Michael

Prototypically, the bowl of the compass should be filled with mineral spirits to dampen the movement of the card. May be worth trying, you could probably get a similar effect with rubbing alcohol. No air bubbles allowed!

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Michael, how disappointed I am that I found this build too late :(  I will need to take some time to read back through.  

That compass is a work(ing) of art; a model in itself.

Very much enjoyed seeing how you did this.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

3 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

Prototypically, the bowl of the compass should be filled with mineral spirits to dampen the movement of the card. May be worth trying, you could probably get a similar effect with rubbing alcohol. No air bubbles allowed!

Andy this has crossed my mind, it would entail sorting a couple of things out, not the least of which would be testing the printed card for deterioration in the oil or spirit. also I would need to seal a few spots to prevent leakage, eliminating the air is not a problem.

I shall consider my options on this one.....

Michael

good to see your back in the workshop :)    very nice work on the compass......your metal working skills are amazing.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Beautiful work Michael. Your tools reminds me of my own machinist training - a long time ago. Nostalgia is setting in ;-)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Denis , Elmer , and Piet thanks for the kind remarks.

Did a bit more work cleaning up the compass and made the cover from some 1/32 plexiglass.

IMG_8720x1024.jpg.8b48b16fdc19b3d951d68c7cd3f36ec7.jpg

IMG_8725x1024.jpg.72d7e738fa8e155708ec1cfb0a6bcfe1.jpg

The bolts are some modified 00x90 1/4 in long hex bolts.

Capture8724.JPG.582a1ae9f2d7ef66a66cde030e4ca44a.JPG

After cutting them to length and polishing the threaded end they were held in the pin chuck to reduce the hight of the head and to round it up a bit.

IMG_8728x1024.jpg.338369d7289cf487c64c674ce67706e1.jpg

IMG_8730x1024.jpg.80c190c08af4fb7c486e2b6ef4c81e6c.jpg

All the gimbal rings were given a final sanding with some 1200 grit wet and dry.

and fitted back into the copper dome.

Capture8732.JPG.79e7908ca64bef3942020a521273da51.JPG

Michael

Hi Michael - what's the technique fro drilling acrylic sheet without cracking it?

Mark

Hi Mark

To make the front edge of the drill a scraper similar to a bit for brass.

Michael

That is simply stunning work; what is the size (diameter) of the compass card Michael?

cheers

Pat

Hi Pat, the card is 14mm or 35/64, the card rotates very nicely. I printed it up on photo paper and then coated it with CA glue. The Plexiglas  was very old I had it left over from my Architectural model building days so since 1984, the trick with removing the protective paper on old Plexiglas is to warm it up with a hot air gun. The paper then comes off as if it were a new sheet.

Michael

Thanks Michael, that is awfully good work at that scale.  Great trick to remember for the paper too - thanks

cheers

Pat

Magnificent work, Michael ... I've been sitting at my screen waiting for each new step, to enjoy all the marvelous details you create, and am flabbergasted with the result

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks for the kind words Carl, thanks also to all of you who have been visiting.

In between the hockey periods I did a little work on the companionway, and lowered the side walls by 1/2 inch 4 inches in scale which leaves them at 17 inches at the aft end and 13 1/2 inches at the forward end. I'm good with that.

IMG_2193x1024.jpg.e7df0f4fcfc89acf7df8c4744d8c5385.jpg

IMG_2192x1024.jpg.42065dc52912ed4da19e69b212dab0d0.jpg

I will shorten the hatch about 3 inches shorten the sidewalls length by 4 inches to make them 48 long and add a couple of round ports in them.

Michael

the hatch looks good.......and some amazing work on the compass.   very nice :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Michael - I have had problems in the past bolting directly on to perspex. After a while I noticed small cracks starting to grow from the bolt holes. I cured it by using rubber grommets to line the holes (slightly wider than the perspex thickness). It may be that I had a bad experience and you will get away with it.

Excellent work as always.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

On 4/27/2017 at 3:59 PM, KeithAug said:

I have had problems in the past bolting directly on to perspex. After a while I noticed small cracks starting to grow from the bolt holes.

Hi Keith I have not had this problem in all the years I have worked with plex, perhaps it has something to do with the types of Plex, I prefer to use the Cell Cast type and not the extruded type.

First I bored out a piece of 7/8ths with a half inch drill

IMG_2222x1024.jpg.98a6feef788fc6f74392e7d673fa63e2.jpg

Then using a brand new tool bit which I ground from some 5/16 HSS steel, I was pleased that I was able to take a single depth of cut of .125" for a distance .312" which is the thicknes of the side walls of the cabin.

IMG_2223x1024.jpg.d27d460cb8020582830c978a4e5b4ce7.jpg

The first three porthole shells still a lot of work to do but it feels good to make some progress.

IMG_2224x1024.jpg.841c11852b8c4a75491c2a6c3264cd8d.jpg

Michael

• 1 month later...

Hello Don,

I do not know of any Kits although at one time there was a hull that was either vac formed or glass fibre one that approx 46 inches long.

In this months Wooden Boat magazine there are some nice plans of a 29 foot daysailer along the lines of a traditional pilot Cutter.

Michael

Don

Re Bristol Pilot Cutter kit, this may be of interest http://www.kingstonmouldings.co.uk/products.html

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Thanks Keith I could not remember the name of the outfit that made the hulls.

michael