Bristol Pilot Cutter by michael mott - 1/8 scale (POF)

I am truly in awe of your project Michael, and your craftsmanship.

I too am building a large sailing model of a cutter, but a very different project and quality. Mine is a 60" LOA copy of a sailing model of a 10-gun naval cutter built by four British veterans of the War of 1812 in the early 1830s. The original model resides in a small museum about 400 yards from where it was completed, and has never left the town. It has been altered by two well-intentioned but poorly-informed restorations and my project started as an attempt to reconstruct its original form and functionality. The model is greatly simplified, but almost everything on it once worked--including the pump and the guns! I still haven't managed to figure out how to make the elm tree pump valves. The project is as much a great dive into local and naval history as it is a modelmaking challenge. My project started with initial research in 1997; I now have my sails and hope to start rigging as soon as time and workspace permit.

5 hours ago, Runner said:

I am truly in awe of your project Michael, and your craftsmanship.

I too am building a large sailing model of a cutter, but a very different project and quality. Mine is a 60" LOA copy of a sailing model of a 10-gun naval cutter built by four British veterans of the War of 1812 in the early 1830s. The original model resides in a small museum about 400 yards from where it was completed, and has never left the town. It has been altered by two well-intentioned but poorly-informed restorations and my project started as an attempt to reconstruct its original form and functionality. The model is greatly simplified, but almost everything on it once worked--including the pump and the guns! I still haven't managed to figure out how to make the elm tree pump valves. The project is as much a great dive into local and naval history as it is a modelmaking challenge. My project started with initial research in 1997; I now have my sails and hope to start rigging as soon as time and workspace permit.

We’ll you know what they say……..

•No pictures….it didn’t happen*

Rob😏

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

On 7/4/2023 at 3:41 PM, michael mott said:

l am amazed at how nice the maple that I cut from the big log 50 years ago still works and planes up with such a lovely lustre. I’m guessing it is because it has been air dried.

Michael 

Patina is a word used to describe the finish on copper or bronze exposed to air, but I think that word also works well in describing the finish on that maple. Most attractive!

Tom