Puritan by johncole - Mamoli - 1/50 scale - 1885 America's Cup

Please follow along! It was your earlier posting (August I think) that jump started me to build my kit. We probably have the same kits. I elected to try a single planked scheme using bass wood, but the double planked way will also work really well. I was trying my hand at single planking to help develop some skills.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any Q's.

BTW, I'm progressing along with masts and rigging, but I'm having some photo software issues. More soon, I hope.

John

Any idea what year your kit is?   My box is definitely different, and the parts laser cut but still within the original boards, not parted out like yours appears to have been.   

Anyhow..   first question.   Did you do all you your early stages without any kind of keel holder or vise?   Ive unpacked all the plans and started adjusting my workspace to accommodate the build but cant quite figure out how Im going to work with this thing.   The plans indicate building a plank and block keel holder (assuming you have the parts already),  just wondering if you did this or if not how you dealt with this.  Ive got a keel vise, but am not sure if it will work well with this size build.  

Any initial tips before starting the build?

Edited by maturin

I bought my kit in the late '80's, so it's machine cut (routed). I would think the laser cut parts would be more accurate to the drawings?

Anyway, I did put together a base board and bonded six small blocks (three pairs of two each) to hold the keel upright and straight. The middle two blocks are set apart a bit wider to accommodate the keel pocket doublers. You may not *need* a keel holder like this because of how the deck is installed.

The deck slots key into the bulkheads, and it's important that everything fits well before gluing it down. I did quite a bit of trimming on the deck slots to get the frames to fit correctly. The top of the frames should be beveled too so that the deck lays down against them.

One more thing; I added 3/16" sq. hard balsa under the deck edge, between each frame. I did this because later, you will remove the temporary frame stanchions and install the 2x3 permanent stanchions. These will go through the deck and into the balsa for a bit more integrity. 

I hope this helps. Have you considered starting a build log on your project? Hope you do!

John

Well you did it.   This was my fall/winter build and your log lit the spark.  Ill put together a build log soon enough,  but first wanted to run a few things by you.  

I put my keel together and have so far gotten to the first shaping stage where your thinning out the overall piece at the bow and stern.  The directions do not indicate to what degree one should thin so Im just gonna go for it and shoot for about a 1/3 reduction.  

post-13870-0-57821400-1413216009_thumb.jpg

One interesting bit was the smallest piece of the keel construction did not fit at all so I had to shim it some to get it to match the profile of the plans.  I think it came out ok.  

post-13870-0-16088300-1413216023_thumb.jpg

One last thing.  When you say you had to bevel the frames to get the deck to lay down what exactly do you mean?   I assume you mean shaped to meet the deck more smoothly...   Or do you mean beveled?   Sorry if Im confusing things.  

There is a slight curve in my keel, so Im planning to straighten that and add some rigidity with supports running parallel along the keel between frames.  

post-13870-0-22083000-1413216042_thumb.jpg

Ill have to think about your deck edge reinforcements.  If Im being honest, Im not exactly sure what you mean.   Anyway...   thanks for the help.  Time to get sanding. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi John, 

Noticed you havent posted in awhile and wanted to check in.   Ive put some time in on my own build here.  Pop in and let me know if it looks like Im headed in the right direction.   As always, pointers are appreciated.

Thanks. 

Check out post #1, 6th pic from the top. You'll see the 3/16" sq added under the false deck and between the bulkheads. I'm not sure these were even needed, I just wanted to give the stanchions a bit more to adhere to.

I had to take a break from my model due to other obligations, but I'm back at it. Standing rigging continues. Ratlines are next, then on to some sail work.

John

post-14438-0-56444100-1414790207.jpg

post-14438-0-10895200-1414790216.jpg

post-14438-0-35203400-1414790242.jpg

Your workmanship is great! Great job on the planking. In process of building same kit, hull completed,deck furniture also.

Discovered one problem with this kit! It does no represent the actual Puritan America's Cup defender! Scale of kit shown deck furniture and actual

components are wrong. It has and is difficult to find historically correct info on these details. I'm still in the process, but about to give up and just finish her with what i know now.

Bridgman Bob

The spredders in your last photo appear to be 90' out of line for and aft rather than port to Starboard I hope this is just a bad angle shot

Beautiful build 

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Your workmanship is great! Great job on the planking. In process of building same kit, hull completed,deck furniture also.

Discovered one problem with this kit! It does no represent the actual Puritan America's Cup defender! Scale of kit shown deck furniture and actual

components are wrong. It has and is difficult to find historically correct info on these details. I'm still in the process, but about to give up and just finish her with what i know now.

Bridgman Bob

Im curious to know what info you have found regarding this.  I've looked as much as I know how to find anything related to the original boat, but have only found a few photos.   John seems to have found photos that I haven't located and Ive done as much as I could to find plans, or descriptions.   So far nothing. My nautical research skills are pretty limited...

Thank you Bob and Andy! Yes Andy, bad angle. Looks like I was drinking while installing the mast..

The kit has some (ok, a lot) inaccuracies, and I was able to locate some old pictures online. Mayflower was built immediately following Puritan, so some of her details can be adopted. Study the pictures closely, because these boats changed their sail and furniture setups often. 

See link:

http://www.jsjohnston.org/index.html

Also, do a google image search for 'Puritan yacht'

I believe there are some bow problems too, the kit likely has the wrong profile. No matter, and I don't mean to sound so critical of Mamoli. It's still a fun build.

John

Edited by johncole

Here's another good Puritan link:

http://america-scoop.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=701:les-photos-de-puritan&catid=67:puritan&Itemid=893〈=en

You can scale the parts from the photos. It's not an entirely accurate method, but will give you a nice representation.

Hope this helps.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Initial research, 2009, resulted in a response from fellow NRG member, and professional  modeler,  who had built the ,

model and had redrawn the deck to the correct scale and detail. He was unable to share all his research and his system

was not currently compatible to his current system. Also found copy of plans from another kit, Bluejacket, possibly, that is no longer made.

Found the same photos you did, plus something from MIT. No good details of the deck lay out, except for the Bluejacket plans. Meet grandson of the founder of Edson, who supplied some of the equipment for the original Puritan, winches and mainsheet traveler and others. He shared copy of that eras catalog showing some equipment. Mainsheet traveler was an unique design from Edison and not as shown in the kit. 

More later if you like, Im' not doing much with the model now due to time constraints.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

I sure would like to see those deck drawings your talking about. Especially as there is still so much time before I (personally) get to that stage on my own build. Ive tracked down about as much as I can, and like youve indicated, noticed the same differences in detail (such as the mainsheet traveller). John in this build I think goes outside the scope of the kit to deal with this same issue. That is... if I understand what the mainsheet traveller is the same way you do. John also pointed out in a post on my own log that there is some profile differences in bow shape which Im currently investigating. Thanks to him for pointing that out before I got any further. Sure illustrates how much one can glean from just really looking at photographs.

Im currently in communication with the folks at Mystic Seaport who are having a look at a few things in their own collection for me. A search of their catalogs lead to a few potentially high value items specific to Puritan. Unfortunately the catalog descriptions are rather simplistic so Ive asked them to put eyes on these materials and send me whatever they can in way of description. Im really hoping they have something descriptive (vessel) and just descriptive (Americas Cup). Im hoping to get copies...

We shall see... Ill of course share whatever I find out with the folks here.

Someone just sent this to me.  I have not had a chance to review it but from just skimming.  

Great Resource Here:

http://america-scoop.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=410&Itemid=649〈=en

Thanks for passing on the website.  It a good breakdown of the Americas Cup boats and the chalengers.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I remember reading about the race and the shenanigans used and the amount spent on the boats and the side bets.  I could have retired at 20 and never have to worry again.

David B

I just realized that John had also supplied that link...  FYI.    Somehow I missed it.   Anyway...  you are all right.   Great resource.  

• 2 months later...

maturin:

Find a source that has a copy of F. Chevalier's "America's Cup Designs, 1851 -1986". Suggest a mariners museum. The chapter on the Puritan

has drawings based on the originals. Book is larger format and expensive, why the library suggestion. I used the Mariners' Museum in Newport News VA.

They weren't to expensive.

More later. 

Bridgman Bob

• 2 months later...

Note that the Puritan plans from Bluejacket are available for $15 per sheet (2 sheets). If anything like the America, you may find them very useful. Once i recieve them, I will comment on them directly. This is going to be my next "scratch build" as I substitute most material and prefer to build my own hardware anyways (jewelers background),  though things like blocks and pins etc., I  use liberally  LOL- I'm not crazy!

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...

John:

Still struggling to finish my Puritan, how did you handle the rigging, plans,

plans call for "o.5mm metal', I've never worked with material and am looking for methods,

procedures to do so.  Came across some beading wire of various sizes, that is actually stranded and flexible

enough to knot. 

My be easiest to revert to usual fiber material.  

Bridgman Bob

• The title was changed to Puritan by johncole - Mamoli - 1/50 scale - 1885 America's Cup