Preussen Clipper by Chasseur - Ship in Bottle

Yesterday and today I thought about building a scale figure for on deck to ensure everything « I model is in scale and within reason. First off I needed to build a micro chisel and a micro carving knife. The chisel I built from a sewing needle and the knife from a broken off piece of razor blade. See below! Number 11 exacto knife for scale comparison.

post-10500-0-73470000-1483504015.jpg

post-10500-0-42531900-1483504050.jpg

I then mulled around and stewed in the cave trying to figure out what to do. Following ideas came up:

1. Carve a figure from a matchstick
  2. Carve a figure from a pencil lead
  3. Sculpt a figure from Sculpy III clay

Then it dawned on me. I`ll make one from paper and then paint it. I photocopied a figure from a file a Gent in the UK had sent to me free of charge. His scale was 1:250 so I halved it on the photocopier then halved it again to get to my scale. My figure scaled in at a 6` tall German sailor weighing in it at 195 lbs. all muscle when painted up LOL. First shot shows the paper figure glued to another piece of paper for bulk. I reinforced the figure with cyano to make it easier to carve.

post-10500-0-36250600-1483504517.jpg

Once I carved it to spec I painted the body a merchant marine uniform blue, flesh for face, white tee shirt underneath and black boots. See below. Figure is 1.5 mm tall.

post-10500-0-00561600-1483504614.jpg

For my first attempt I`d rate this figure at a 7 out of 10. When you view it with the naked eye it`s pretty convincing at this scale. I know I can do better with some practice.

Some quick comments. I tried to paint with acrylics but they dried out way to quickly. Switched to enamels which seemed better but bulked up a bit too much for my liking. I will probably go back to acrylics and add an inhibitor in to slow paint drying time down or I might try artists oils for kicks. I attached a photograph to show how I am going to model some sailors on a yard taking in the sheet before the storm hits as the Preussen will be modeled before the wind rounding the Horn. See below.

post-10500-0-10560500-1483505003.jpg

Also attached is an article if anyone is interested in making their own micro chisels from scratch.

Making_Small_Tools_Tutorials.pdf

More to come ... Jeff

A mighty fortress is our God a bulwark never failing!

A little work on the Forecastle/deck area. Got some decking on and railings installed. Fiddly work just the same. First shot below is a dime to show scale. I still have to scrap some paint off of the port holes. Amazing what the camera picks up!

post-10500-0-11769000-1483657179.jpg

Next two shots are just for kicks ... Jeff

post-10500-0-36960200-1483657239.jpg

post-10500-0-57555000-1483657253.jpg

Thanks Patrick. Yes by all means use any ideas here or elsewhere as this is the way here at MSW to share ideas, methodologies and different ways of doing things.

Glad you like the little sailor. I hope to improve my technique on making figures at this scale as I am always learning.

Have a good day mate!

Jeff

All can say is.. I'm in awe.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the compliment about being inspired, and thanks for the article about making carving tools and miniature chisels.

Your desk is looking very appealing I like the tray idea as well as the leather apron. And very neat way to do the little man.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Slow right now. Working on the two port and starboard running lights and reflectors on the forecastle. Built the bases for the lights out of 1.5 mm O.D. Brass pipe. Turned the domes for the lights on the mini lathe. I'll post some pictures when the lights and reflectors are done, painted, and mounted on the deck. Had a bunch of chores to do from the Admiral's checklist to knock off so hobby time was limited this weekend.

Thanks for asking ... Jeff

Fantastic work Jeff......I can appreciate your ingenious methods......Your home made lathe appears to be set up for a left handed worker.

Love that Great Republic picture.....places just in the right place to give you inspiration.

Your build is coming along nicely.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

I own a smaller Dremel lathe I rarely ever use...I might set it up in my workshop and use it for turning masts.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 2 weeks later...

A brief update. I am onto detailing the forecastle area. The first photograph shows what I am trying to achieve end game. How much detail I stuff into this small area will be a treat. Fabrication of the two reflectors port and starboard are built and installed. I am now working on the clearance marker lights which are located right behind the reflectors. I also have the two chicken coups built as well. Picture shows one just behind the ladder from deck to castle.

post-10500-0-97165000-1486243081.jpg

Next shot is of me turning the dome part of the marker light. 1.5mm brass here.

post-10500-0-08579600-1486243194.jpg

Next two shots are port and starboard reflectors respectively.

post-10500-0-15491600-1486243263.jpg

post-10500-0-10271800-1486243282.jpg

Next shot is a special tool I made for sanding and profiling the dome after I glued it to 1.5mm brass pipe. I had this old handle used for a hacksaw that I can't get a blade for so now it's a new tool. I used pipe to glue the dome onto as it has a hollow for the toothpick to stick into as a holder.

post-10500-0-73311200-1486243399.jpg

Next shot is a dome glued onto the pipe. Also is a notch filed into the pipe to show where the glass cover is that protects the electric light inside the dome as on the real ship.

post-10500-0-06489900-1486243494.jpg

Next two shots show the fabrication process of the lower ring being formed from soft wire Copper-Extra Fine W-C-XF.

post-10500-0-13551100-1486243618.jpg

post-10500-0-29548700-1486243641.jpg

Last shot shows the wire glued into position. "GS Hypo Cement works wonders here." Dome glued to pipe and wire glued to lower part of dome. Notice the notch below the ring?

post-10500-0-79406700-1486243838.jpg

That's it for now.

Jeff

Very nice Jeff, by the way I have about 25 miles of some AWG 42 copper wire if you need a foot or two :rolleyes:

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Well it is only .0029 in diameter a pound of it goes a long way.

Michael

You can still register those ?... i.e. imperfections. It is hard enough to see the item, let alone its finish, or one of the subparts. Still I'm glad you are at it again!

P.s. love the workbench

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Today I spent a little time on the marker lights but focused more on test fitting the seas and test fitting the hull. I made a few decisions on moving forward. I decided to build the model “Ralph Preston style” so I can get more detail into the model regarding the running rigging etc. Each of the 5 masts will be inserted separately moving from stern to stem one at a time.

This way I can reduce the amount of lines to mess with coming out of the bottle neck so each mast, yards, rigging etc. are in modules.

I had to build a special insertion tool today to test fit the upper deck section of the hull to the lower part of hull as there are two parts to this hull build. Tool fits into hole where bowsprit goes.

So there will be no folding masts utilizing the Hinkley hinge as most builders tend to do. The build will take longer however I am in no rush whatsoever.

post-10500-0-53479500-1486945536.jpg

post-10500-0-96513300-1486945560.jpg

So that's it... Steady as she goes!

Jeff

Amazing!..How you do it is besides me...... :o

Working through that little opening.

Heah..I found a ship in a bottle in an antique shop the other day...I think it is the Charles W Morgan...there is a whale along side the ship splashing.

What do you think?

post-2739-0-57761300-1486949778_thumb.jpg

post-2739-0-07330300-1486949801_thumb.jpg

post-2739-0-96623000-1486949816_thumb.jpg

post-2739-0-29092300-1486949833_thumb.jpg

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Amazing work Jeff, I like the fact that you need to build special tool in order to accomplish certain aspects of this work.

Michael

Hi Jeff

I'm with Michael and Carl on this one.  How you're able to fashion new tools and also work within that confined space is mind boggling.

You may not be in a hurry to finish her though, but I'm keen as mustard to see it all done quick smart!  

I must repeat to myself over and over - "Patience, patience, patience...!"

Cheers

Patrick

Thank-you Gentleman for peeking in.

@ Rob - Nice model a great find! Thanks for posting it's an encouragement to me.

@ Michael -  yes making the tools are not an option I am afraid but rewarding just the same*

@ Patrick - All in due time and yes patience is the key here!

Jeff

I thought of you Jeff...when I saw her in the shop....Just had to have it for the bath decore.

I'm all about nautical(Good authentic nautical)

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):