HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

What brings up the next question: What to be done with the length of the side tackles running side ?

My usual way, take a length of rope and check the options. The coil was not in my mind for several reasons, that is why I did not try it here.

First loosely placed beside the gun - over the breeching rope that lies on the deck - as seen on V. in P. on several guns.

Victory-131102_1395.jpg

I do not like it as ropes could get tangled up easily. Second try, put behind the gun where usually the coils are placed ...

Victory-131102_1388.jpg

... gives a nice trap to fit the back tackle.

And here my personal favorite, also seen on several museum ships, loose loops put over the barrel. 

Keeps the floor free, no messing, easy to grap.

Victory-131102_1397.jpg 

As Captain Hardy was sad to have been was some kind of etiquette freak here a more "ship shape" or "Bristol-fashion" style of: the loops secured in the middle.

Victory-131102_1451.jpg

Victory-131102_1455.jpg

And this is my personal winner :-)

XXXDAn

Daniel,

As always, fantastic detail work.  Your passion for getting things right shows through!  Attached picture shows one of Victory's guns secured and you can see how the falls of the side tackles are secured.  When at sea and not cleared for action the guns were very tightly secured to prevent them rolling around.  In your fantastic depiction of the guns, they are cleared for action with all tackles and breech ropes in place.  The train tackles were removed when the guns were secured.  Hope this helps.

Patrick

post-470-0-55141800-1383489275_thumb.jpg

Thank you Patrick!

Dan

For the background of this display: The guncrew is busy excercising on the opposite side, so these guns are run out for symmetrical reasons and ready for combat with all tackles set. As they are left alone for the time being, the tackles are secured by a half hitch (or a overhand knot with draw-loop) and the length of the rope put over the barrel for easy grabbing. Like this the gun could go into combat within the second.

So keep on dreaming ...

Victory-131102_1439.jpg

Victory-131101_1415.jpg

Victory-131102_0794.jpg

Victory-131102_0799.jpg

Here just for the scales sake :-)

Victory-131102_1425.jpg

Victory-131101_1423.jpg

And my favorite shot for today :-)

Victory-131102_1471.jpg

XXXDAn

fantastic work Daniel.........very in-depth  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

wow ok now i know what i got to do much later not looking good for me popeye  but i got to say really nice clean work u have done there

this is Daniel's build Dragzz,  I'm merely a spectator ;)     but.....yes,  this is some of the aspects you can do........mind boggling,  isn't it.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

The gun rigging looks really awesome. You have put in some incredible detail.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Thank you Popeye, dragzz, Jan, Patrick, Matti and Nigel :-)

But as shown before, this could be just one way of displaying the tackles. The hint of keeping not needed ropes on top of the barrel is something, that is displayed on both Vic and Consti, Just the bow-tie I had to add as the rope was a little to stiff to get an even result otherwise. But the coils are not fixed, so I still have space for improvement.

@ Jan,

yeah it took ages to produce such a big Tic-Tac, that´s why I was slow in the build lately ...

... and I do not think to produce 850, I think 820 will do the job ...

;-)

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

Thank you Lawrence, but they should be handled with care as they are highly addictive!

Never thought about using them that much when I designed them, but as they were there - a small trial - and crack - you are doomed and highly addicted from the first consumption on ...

XXXXDAn

Anyway, no something completely different ...

... re worked the anatomic side of Sponge-Bob as my son calls him and Dr Tentacle also got his wild brothers put into custody.

800_victory_guncrew_0374.jpg

While the starbord side is deserted as we know from previous posts, we can slowly start populating the port side. As everybody was given a number, n# 4 is already swapping the barrel with his sponge while n# 3 is helping with the cartridge.

800_victory_guncrew_1263.jpg

Still looks quite spacious ...

800_victory_guncrew_1264.jpg

800_victory_guncrew_1258.jpg

800_victory_guncrew_1261.jpg

800_victory_guncrew_1260.jpg

... but with the training in place it is getting tighter and tighter. Also I would not like to stand there without somebody holding the back tackle - if not one wave and some tons of iron and wood jump towards you and no way to jump out of this tackle bondage.

800_victory_guncrew_1272.jpg

800_victory_guncrew_1276.jpg

And now imagine 5 guys on the tackle left and 5 guys on the tackle right, pulling the strings, helping with the handspikes, reaching for worm-hooks, wad pads and cannon balls and the guncaptain touching off the hole with his thump - THAT will be hot. And then the same to the gun on the left and the same to the gun on the right. Better than the tube at rush hour ...

... seen from the top, one really can imagine.

800_victory_guncrew_1277.jpg

Soon more,

XXXDAn

thats looking so sweet great job that u are doing keep the pic comming wow wow wow  :dancetl6: p.c thats true master peace of work

Fantastic Daniel!  I'm still wondering what is going to happen when you decide that there really is nothing else to do on the lower gun deck...surely this can't all get hidden?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I'm sure that all this effort can be seen through the opening in the spar deck,  when you go topside........ :)      it looks very life-like....no two cannons are in the same position.......active realism.    nicely done!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ah... love it.  The realism, the mass confusion, the smell of gunpowder in the morning because it smells like Victory....  Incredibly wonderful work Daniel. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Daniel, I like these scenes where you have the figures involved. It gives us all a small sense of how things actually worked in a visual way. Please keep up with the excellent progress and detail.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Sometimes, yes sometimes I hat me for what I am doing to myself ...

... example needed?

The worm hook to extract cartridge remains ...

... already I glued a nice long spiral onto a stick and just then looked into the literature ...

... bloody mental cinema ...

... it is not one long spiral but two short opposite spirals, which makes sense for the purpose.

First soldering trial with the 0,3 mm copper wires went bad until I remembered that there is a protection around :-(

Once removed, results became better, but still quite breakable, but then realised, the spiraling method does not work ...

... okokokokokoko ...

... back to start, rethink and resolder ...

800_Victory-guns_0857.jpg

... but how to do the double helix?

Took a fitting drill with the right lead ...

800_Victory-guns_0864.jpg

... and carefully embedded the wire into the grooves.

800_Victory-guns_0867.jpg

The lead still being too high, respaned the opposite way against a 1 mm mandral, and carefully readjusted the lead.

800_Victory-guns_0869.jpg

And here we are, it finally worked ...

800_Victory-guns_0874.jpg

... even fits for the bore :-)

800_Victory-guns_0871.jpg

That is why I sometimes hate myself, took me days to work this out until it fitted ...

... so I got really time enough to hate myself ...

... deeply contrited ... 

...yours dafi

what comes to mind here...is all the little things that can get over looked.   you certainly fill in  the gaps ;)    I'm certain that this would not be left this way........would they tie cloth or burlap over this to create a swab?   I also would think that an oil would come into play here as well.....would it then also be dipped into a bucket to give lubrication?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

This worm stays as it is. Its purpose is to get powder cartridges out if the charge did not ignite (lovely job this must have been) or to regularly clean the bottom of the breech from possible remains of extinguished or even smoldering cartridges after a shot. That is why it needs hard and pointed ends.

The swabbing was done with a different swab, this possibly was fur and was used really wet, that is why a bucket with 9 parts water and one vinagre was always nearby. In my small diasplay you see the loader (known as number 4) is just inserting/retracting the swab, 9 tenths of the rod being outside of the hull ...

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

hmmmmmm.......so,  they weren't concerned with scratching the bore.    considering how accurate they were........rifling the bore didn't come into play until much later in the munition's race.......cannons were more accurate than their cousins,  the mortar.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: