HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

PS: @Kevin:

Thank you for the link!

XXXDAn

• 3 weeks later...

Not too much time for tinkering, it is high season in the office :-)

And then I had the ingenious idea to make castings of the bitts, as I somehow feel, that I could still use them on other situations ;-)

So I took the green  Pricosil and casted and sworn my a.. off as I tried for hours to get this highly slot-intruding rubbery mass out off the slots again...

So lessons learned, text trial was with inlays of the firmer kneading silicone ...

Victory-bitts-cast_1395.jpg

... and it worked :-)

Victory-Beting-160822_1465.jpg

Cleaning up a bit, some touches of paint and ready for the first family shots.

Victory-Beting-160822_1468.jpg

Victory-Beting-160822_1471.jpg

Victory-Beting-160822_1476.jpg

Victory-Beting-160822_1475.jpg

Victory-Beting-160822_1472.jpg

That is already going the direction I had in mind :-)

Cheers, Daniel

so...these are made from the molds?........must have been tough to clean out the shieve holes.   really nice work Daniel!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Kirby and Popeye :-)

The clearing of the cast pieces went rather fast and easy, the slots only had to be drilled open for the ropes later on. Getting the rubber silicone out from the original parts after the first misdone form cast was much more tiring, as one cant simply drill or pull the material out as it proved to be too small.

XXXDAn

You remember?

New poopdeck?

Victory-poop-deck_0251.jpg

With the deck beams on the right place?

Victory-poop-deck_0246.jpg

For this I took the Heller kit piece as a basic part, as camber and sheer suited quite well.

But me stupid cupid did not think that the amount of not precurved deck beams would flatten up the piece that much ...

Victory-160827_1485.jpg

... bolt straight.

That was no good so it had to be changed.

Made two templates on the side to support the forming.

Victory-160827_1486.jpg

A wet cloth and a hot iron to soften up wood and plastic ...

Victory-160827_1487.jpg

... and pressed it in between two planks.

Victory-160827_1489.jpg

As for the antiartic temperatures at the moment the whole thing was transferred into the fridge ...

Victory-160827_1492.jpg

... and great, the missing camber was really there :-)

Victory-160827_1493.jpg

But also a negative curve in the sheer :-(

Victory-160827_1494.jpg

Also the parquet suffered a bit :-( :-( :-(

Victory-160827_1495.jpg

Tjo ...

... what does the dafi think at these moments?!?

GREAT!!! The planking pattern had anyway some flaws and around the mast there were a lot of patched holes from misplaced eyebolts ...

Victory-160827_1496.jpg

... so got out a new deck, relocated the hole for the skylight in the already documented fashion and started scraping of the wood grains ...

Victory-160827_1498.jpg

... and the best anyway - as a result of the procedure, the old deck beams already had the right curve ...

Victory-160827_1499.jpg

... and some paint and the underneath was already done :-) :-) :-)

XXXDAn
Edited by dafi

If things go wrong then do it at least consequently ...

Victory-160828_1500.jpg

XXXDAn

Do not worry, I had worse than that to sort out :-)

XXXDAn

THAT my dear Jan made my day!

For those not knowing german: The Iron states "kein heller Stoff" means "not for white cloth" as it may leaves marks, it is only a workshop iron. 

With all the marks on the writing one could read instead "Not for Heller Stuff".

NOW I now what went wrong :-)

XXXDan

Edited by dafi

I had somewhat the same problem with my United States decks,   but my problem was I left them stagnate for too long,  and they warped.  another problem was which way I had the grain going.    what I've done with the new decks,  was to clamp them to the plastic decking before putting them in the closet.   it's been some time since the model has come to the table,  but I do check on them periodically...they still look good.   I also changed the direction of the grain so they would bend more easily.

I planked the decks and sprayed them with semi gloss lacquer........I kept getting the 'white'.   temp + humidity  ÷ by the drying time between the temp and thinner saturation.   perhaps you added too much thinner to the paint?   it appears grainy,  like the paint is drying as it's coming from the nozzle. it's also true that heat can play a part in it...cracking due to shrinkage.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 2 weeks later...

Now I know why you call it "Ship of the Line" ...

Victory-line-160831_1547.jpg

XXXDAn

I think that would definitely leave a lasting impression on the nostrils  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just prior to go on a business trip, I managed to finish the new deck

Victory-poop-deck_1574.jpg

Left old, right new, the planking pattern is much more even now.

Then got small pieces of wire, moulded on a head with diluted PVC glue in multiple layers to level up the still appearing unevennesses ...

Victory-belaying-nails_1575.jpg

... splashed some paint on it and put them in place.

Victory-poop-deck_1578.jpg

And then the exiting part: Try it out in situ :-)

Victory-poop-deck_1588.jpg

Victory-poop-deck_1591.jpg

Victory-poop-deck_1601.jpg

Victory-poop-deck_1610.jpg

Heyho, you won´t believe this, now the world looks much brighter again :-)

XXXDAn

• 3 weeks later...

No Jan, before I can do the upper gun deck, I have to solve the middle one :-)

But now see the return of the weevil.

After some absence due to work trips, I managed to do some small things.

Does any one remember this piece? 

Victory-focastle_2030.jpg

This was tiller v1 until January 08 2012 before tiller 2.0 took over the helm.  So the recipe says to steer some pinches of tiller v1 ...

Victory-focastle_2031.jpg

... chop it in pieces and use it as construction beams to get a feeling for the fo´castle. The layout of the beams was taken from McKay as it appears to be plausible. Here the resulting corrections in the placement of the gratings as a result of the changes:

Victory-focastle_2033.jpg

Then trow in some planks ...

Victory-focastle_2038.jpg

... and compare with the kit(d)s parts

Victory-focastle_2044.jpg

Victory-focastle_2043.jpg

Victory-focastle_2046.jpg

Victory-focastle_2037.jpg

You may guess which is which, here a better hint ;-)

Victory-focastle_2035.jpg

So and then the double bill on the poop takes its toll: I was running out of planks ...

Have to cut new ones, that might take time.

XXXDAn
Edited by dafi

@Jan

DO! NOT! TEMPT! ME!

XXXDAn

Make sure you cut enough for the middle gun deck :)

(Assuming the lower one will ever be finished)

Btw did you ever consider the thought of rippi g out the lower deck in order to install the orlop deck?

Jan

oh no, another project for Dafi to work on

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

@Jan + Kevin

Anyway too easy ;-)

I wait until the middle deck is done, then I decide to do the orlop and after this, once lower, middle and upper gun deck is done, I will decide to do the hold :-)

So, everybody happy now ?!?

:-) :-) :-)

XXXDAn

Yes Jan, I agree, that would drag the build down completely ...

XXXDAn

I believing that there's more deconstruction in your future?  Amazing work on her, Daniel.  Just amazing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I believing that there's more deconstruction in your future?  Amazing work on her, Daniel.  Just amazing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

ROTFLHO!!!

:-) :-) :-)

XXXDAn

By contrast to what Lil´Wife says, the dafi is teachable.

In deed!

This time the deck beams for the fore castle are prebent :-)

Victory-forecastle_2047.jpg

A simplified deck pattern, looks good immediately.

Victory-back_2048.jpg

Still found some material for two rows of planking ...

Victory-back_2049.jpg

... and the two small scuttles that can be seen on the 1765 model.

Victory-focastle_2051.jpg

XXXDAn