HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

I am sooooooo sorry ...

Victory-fore-top_2064.jpg

... not ;-)

XXXDAn

Yes new research shows ...

... willtellyalata ;-)

XXXDan

PS: Yes, no masts - almost - late afternoon October 21st 1805 ;-)

XXXDAn

In March 2012 I did the fore top to try out the first material for the nettings.

And also a small provocation. I placed the lantern not in the main top but in the fore top as indicated by Lavery as Nelson was only Vice Admiral. But by now I have enough contemporary sources that indicate the "classical" version.

By now it was time to do the two missing tops. Also I was using the new netting that I deliver together with my etch parts. 

So I did the wire frame, glued the netting onto it, brushed the paint onto the material and sticked it into place.

Victory_fighting-tops_2057.jpg

To get the length of the holding line I used a tooth pick and a cheap thread :-)

And then, the surprise, the new netting appears even thinner than the old material, an effect that I liked a lot.

Victory_fighting-tops_2061.jpg

Victory_fighting-tops_2062.jpg

And yes, that is why the old netting had to go. And in the box with the discarded parts we go :-)

Victory_fighting-tops_2065.jpg

XXXDAn

PS: And yes, the opportunity was taken to bring back the lantern onto the main top :-)

Yes, completely.

I was affarid that you would not model nelsons place of death.

Would be an ommision to this otherwise great build :)

Jan

this is a very interesting thought.   have you given any though to it?   I have something here I thought you might enjoy 

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/lordnelson.htm

wonderful bit of progress Daniel.....great way to make belaying pins  ;)    the netting was a scary moment.......I thought to myself  "boy,  Daniel doesn't need little ones or animals around.......he's his own worst enemy!"............but you proved once again,  that there is a method to your madness.  this is why I enjoy watching your build.......you add so much to it  :)     the above entry..........don't read a lot into it.   your such a whiz at dioramas,  when Jan made the comment,  it was the first thing that came to mind.   there is a picture there.......it would be interesting to see your interpretation of it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

@ Jan

This is material to do with flower decorations, parcels, wedding dresses and this kind of stuff. A forum mate in the german forum found it and I got a whole role for use with my etch parts.

@ Thank you popeye :-)

But I think that would be too emotional for me ;-)

The belaying pins are on base of Phillip Reed, always worth to have a close look at his technics.

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

Actually ...

... some parts out of this box already ended up on other builders Vics :-)

XXXDAn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One could almost build another complete ship out of the discarded parts!!

As long as your having fun along the way. Good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

That Avatar of Foxy made me think  - Isnt it about time we had a fresh new series film on Nelson and his life. :) :) :)

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thank you Sirs!

As a small sign of life, I did some parts that look easier than the way I wanted them to do :-)

The gunwale from fo´castle to waist, the on-molded partners needed to be replaced. In P. they have to rolls for some running rigging incorporated, so that was a "wannahavethat2" ...

...ok, once in the mind, never to leave again.

Victory_161001_2052.jpg

Made a green master, that far that good, but ...

Victory-161027_2454.jpg

... to get 2 fitting holes into that thin structure proved quite a task. Some pre drilling in 0,25 mm and finalizing with 0,3 mm and the holes were through ...

Victory-161109_2561.jpg

... and still fitting a base underneath the circular section that houses the spare spars ...

Victory-161112_2568.jpg

... and then the exciting moment ...

Victory-161120_2657.jpg

... of the mock rigging, and it worked, the rope went through.

Victory-161120_2658.jpg

XXXDAn
Edited by dafi

And following the disaster end of August I proudly declare that Captn Hardy ...

Victory-161113_2569.jpg

... has the ceiling of his cabin finally repainted  :-)

And the forecastle is done too :-) :-)

Victory-161113_2570.jpg

... and some more beauty shots from the kitchen  :-) :-) :-)

Victory-161112_2565.jpg

Victory-161112_2566.jpg

The pikes are only on one side of the mast as the main stay is passing on starboard.

XXXDAn

this could also be applied to other vessels with multiple railing belayment!  :)   great idea Daniel!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Daniel

Could not hit the Like Button so many times, just phantastic (as ever) :cheers:

Regards

Gerhard

Problems just mean: solutions not yet found

Models in progress

SMS DANZIG

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12842-sms-danzig-1851-by-gerhardvienna-radio-150-scale/

USS CAIRO

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13282-uss-cairo-by-gerhardvienna-live-steam-radio/

Baby Bootlegger 1/10

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13625-baby-bootlegger-110-radio-by-gerhardvienna/

Swiss paddlesteamer RIGI 1848 1:50, after plans from the Verkehrshaus Zürich, rescaled to original length

Anchor tugboat BISON, 1:50, plans from VTH, scratch

Finished models

See-Ewer ELBE, Constructo kit 1:48

German fastboat after plans from german Reichskriegsmarine measure unknown (too ugly to show up!)

German traffic boat for battleships WW2, 1:50, after plans from Jürgen Eichardt, scratch

German Schnellboot TIGER P6141 VTH plans, scratch

Thank you Sirs for comments and likes!

After the model makers meeting in march I originally wanted to tidy up the anchor handling presentation, in the meantime stumbled over the top-tackle scutles, so it is time to link the both. For this I need the pendants from the tops, so time to look for that ...

So first step to worm, smart and serve the rope ...

Victory_hanger_2684.jpg

... bound the loop, threw it over the mast top ...

Victory_hanger_2686.jpg

... and let ot a big scream as the binding was on the half round chock and not underneath ...

Victory_hanger_2689.jpg

...AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH...

So a longer loop was done and a picture taken for that nobody can say they did not see it properly.

Victory_hanger_2691.jpg

And really this time it fits underneath the chock :-).

Victory_hanger_2697.jpg

Victory_hanger_2694.jpg

Making the cringles is a mostely easy task and already documented some time ago ...

Victory_hanger_2698.jpg

... oup there the 1 mm tube from the old tests, now the slight thicker one of 1,3 mm :-)

But then turning the cringles in, thaaaaat is something different ...

Victory_hanger_2701.jpg

Left the first trial, right the newer one, I think some more 2716 pieces and the result will be fine

Victory_hanger_2706.jpg

And the pendants in place :-) :-)

Victory_hanger_2709.jpg

XXXDAn

Amazing work, Daniel.  Even more amazing when one thinks about the scale.   Yikes..that's tiny.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

A tad longer my dear Jan, a tad longer :-)

That is how the gun deck looked in 2010!

640-victory-innen2.jpg

As my dear wife says: Did not change too much, did it?!?

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

And then still, the kit was bought on 02 November 2001 and started not too long after, but had a 6 year hiatus due to missing working space.

XXXDAn

considering the road you've taken us on Daniel........I'd say it's been a very informative trip so far  ;)   all roads do lead home sooner or later.  besides,  don't you have one that the gun deck is partly,  {if not fully} filled out?   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Not quite right yet, my dear Jan, not quite right. Too two-dimensional.

Much more ups and downs, much more like this :-)

1600px-Takabisha_roller_coaster.jpg

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi