HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

You got it Jason :-)

But not only while being hoisted, also once the topmast is in place, there is nothing else that helps counteracting the weight, as the topmast is not linked/fixed to the main cap.

XXXDAn

The fid is sufficient to take the weight of the entire rig above the partners! It seams impossible but this is the mechanism that does all the work of holding that load. once the fid is put in place, the weight of the Topmast is settled onto it by easing the top rope and from this point on you don't need the toprope in the rig, its performing no function. In fact, if you leave the toprope in place, it only suffers weathering and deterioration. Topropes are carefully labeled and carefully stored and they are never allowed to be used for any other jobs onboard, the point being that all possible measures are taken to make sure this line will never be weakened or compromised. Few lines in the rig are as crucial when they are in use. A toprope that parts can cause the sinking of the ship when the Topmast arrows down through the deck like a giant battering ram.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Daniel,Jason,

That item is called the Cap Shore. It was fitted to take the strain of the weight of the forward overhang of the Cap from the shoulders of the Mast Tenon. It was tenoned into both the Cap and the Top and was usually only fitted on 1st and 2nd rate ships.

Dave :dancetl6:

Hi Daniel,

One question about the guns:. The scale of the barrels looks really good.  While I have this kit, it's siting in a basement in PA and I can't readily look at it.  Are these the stock cannons, or did you make/buy something closer to scale?

One of my issues with Heller's Soleil Royal is that the muzzle/barrel width, and bore diameter are too narrow and spindly looking.  I will have to do something about this, and am searching for a way to perhaps recycle the kit's stock barrels by, perhaps, dipping them several times in some sort of resin, in order to increase their breadth.  I could then drill out the appropriate bore diameters.  I am wondering your thoughts on this subject.

thanks,

Marc

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

Hy Marc, the barrels from Victory are the original ones from the kit, just some etch added. The Heller kit often surprises me, as many parts are quite close to the original. Most actions necessary come from the limitations in making the moulds some 40 to 50 years ago. Here is a link to the instructions of the etch parts that deal with the guns:

http://www.dafinismus.de/bilder/Platinen_ab_2015/Etch_Victory_en_5_V12.pdf

http://www.dafinismus.de/bilder/Platinen_ab_2015/Etch_Victory_en_4_V12.pdf

http://www.dafinismus.de/bilder/Platinen_ab_2015/Etch_Victory_en_7_V12.pdf

But even the Soleil guns look much better if some simple modifications are done: replace the trunnions and the axels and bore the hole for the breech into the carriages´sides. In the back the original, in the front the pimped version.

800_soleil-cannons_0653.JPG]

Edited by dafi

Thanks Daniel!  As far as Soleil is concerned, the shame of it is that they do an incredible job of copying the ornamental details from one of the existing original cannons, but as I say, they do not capture the appropriate sense of girth that is so evident in every Van de Velde portrait ever drawn.

For carriage and rig updates to the guns, I am looking very closely at Popeye2Sea's excellent build log.  His carriages look amazing.

I'll have to look at those links for photo etch; thank you for the info.

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Something I always wanted to tell:

A small portion of the upper deck laid, and one sees much better how claustrophobic the situation was ...

Victory-170808_6582.jpg

Ashes to ashes, earth to earth and top to tops ...

Victory-170810_6586.jpg

Victory-170810_6591.jpg

... business as usual.

XXXDAn

Hi Dafi, I don't remember you saying how you were ultimately going to be 'finishing' the overall model.  Are you going to leave some part of the decks open, or will the live action scenes be lost to photographic record?  Looking awesome, but that goes without saying :-)

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hello Thomas

most of the figures date from mid 2015, see here for an example Film Crew

@Jason, for the rest, nothing is decided yet :-)

And Dave, no need to be sorry, that is one of the companion ways, situated in the middle.

XXXDAn

After doing the maintop, just wanted to smarten up the foretop to make some castings, as I still need several of them for some tests ;-)
Then realised that my standards improved since the top was first done. So when trying to dissemble the top it proved not a useful base any more, so a fresh construction was a must - at least for me.

Perhaps one remembers earlier posts. The top Heller supplies is quite ok, just an old version, that was only used until 1802 (and displayed on all models I know since the 1920ies). An admiral order from 1802 states to fit a top of two halves on big ships, as they are easier to replace. As the Vic was rigged in 1803 and could be considered as a big ship, so I dared fitting one, better saying two halves ;-)

Based on Lees and other sources, there should be sleepers on the top of the top with half the thickness of the crosstrees, reinforcements on the rim and a different scheme for the battens.

So got the Heller top naked, reinscribed the planking and fitted the missing bits and made new and slimmer holes for the irons.

Victory-171026_7317.jpg

To cut the crosstrees and the sleepers, I used a vice and with a single cut it was done.

Victory-171022_7314.jpg

And then a small orgy with Evergreen and the new top was done and a bit more crisp than the old version :-)

Victory-171031_7319.jpg

Victory-171031_7320.jpg

Victory-171031_7322.jpg

Victory-171031_7330.jpg

Victory-171031_7334.jpg

Anyway, Heller keeps surprises me, as on the "original" top the complicated planking scheme, with up- and downside looking different, was faithfully done :-)

XXXDAn

Just caught up Dafi, stunning

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Finally finished the step. 

Small tip in between: If all sides are stabilised with CA, one can cut 0,25 slices with the resin saw from a wooden 4 mm batten :-)

Victory-171105_7373.jpg

What that for? For the sheaves in the mast :-)
And that brings us back on the track. Foretop and fore topmast done.

Victory-171105_7376.jpg

Victory-171105_7375.jpg

Victory-171105_7377.jpg

Victory-171105_7378.jpg

And here compared with the "original"

Victory-171105_7379.jpg

Victory-171105_7380.jpg

Especially the wrong angle is corrected :-)

Victory-171105_7381.jpg

Victory-171105_7382.jpg

And the new detailing. The cheat in the heel is corrected, sheaves and a decent lock are fitted and the cap is made smaller, as it was the same size as the main cap.

Victory-171105_7385.jpg

Victory-171105_7400.jpg

XXXDAn

super looking redo Daniel......top has a lot more detail than the original.    nice job straightening the mast  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

You are going to laugh, you are not the first one to ask this and actually there are already some left-overs spread in several builds around the world :-)

Cheers, Daniel the destroyer!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

f165t125p143770n2_eCUltGFX.thumb.jpg.2d5e1b83b3db80d1b59c408b01c274ad.jpg
I´ll be back! Watch this space!!!

XXXDAn

• 2 weeks later...

And there she stood, well packed to be shipped far off. What the hell happend? The end of this building report?

Victory-181117_2072.jpg

Yes Trafalgar day was to come 🙂

The job was to be done.

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

We wait  with baited breath................

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

So have we come to the end of the journey? or have i missed so much whilst i have been away

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

In-between some necessary private restructuring, moving place, plenty of work in the office, workshop full of moving boxes, to nice weather to stay inside and other reasons I was neglecting my dear little small one. Unfortunately ...

But then came the day, and a job, an important job was to be done and I was able to hold my small one in my arms again ...

Victory-180816_4303.jpg

... and some serious cleaning was the job of the day. Time to be surprised: "Oh how did I achieve all this? Have to read the building report in MSW to believe."

dafi-180816_4307.jpg

She needed to be look beautiful, really beautiful. The big mess was still the slots, intended for the insertion of the upper decks. So I had to protect her. 

Victory-180901_5073.jpg

But all ok, the plastic protected the lower deck from the biggest dirt from the carnage of the upper decks. Then fixed the spriketting.

Victory-180901_5076.jpg

Then engraved the planking in situ - should have done before - and bent the water ways.

Victory-180920_5867.jpg

Added sone deck beams and evened up the knees ...

Victory-180902_5854.jpg

... and splashed some color and it looked much more clean and crisp in the inside.

Victory-180902_5160.jpg

The only problem with my way of building are the breaking parts on the way, even half the complement of the heads didn´t give a **** and did **** off ...

Victory-180902_5136.jpg

Then came the moment I was able to do a dry fit of the upper deck 🙂

Victory-180922_5972.jpg

Edited by dafi

wonderful work

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished