HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

Daniel,  As always, love your build log and always learning from it. I thought the following photo was interesting.  Making chain plates for the restoration of the Charles W. Morgan (Whaling Ship) at Mystic Seaport, Conn.post-68-0-42774700-1369611757_thumb.jpg

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hmsHMS Victory by Gil Middleton - JoTika - 1:72

Thank you Lawrence and Gil!

I love the "very serious" bending jig :-)

Thank you for posting!

Here is my "very toyful" jig

640_victory-wanten_9433.JPG

Lieber Gruß, Daniel

Edited by dafi

After my small sidekick ...

... a quick return to my main project as the cap-squares arrived yesterday :-)

etch_victory_gun_7772.jpg

Immediately build the template ...

etch_victory_gun_7670.jpg

... and assembled :-)

etch_victory_gun_7727.jpg

Also the gunlocks ...

etch_victory_gun_7730.jpg

... almost to small to be pictured, but still managed to fix them easily by using the sprue to be inserted in a hole underneath.

So mission accomplished, the guns are completed :-)

etch_victory_gun_7710.jpg

etch_victory_gun_7706.jpg

etch_victory_gun_7703.jpg

And with ease I managed to triple the number of parts for each gun from 7 to 21 ...

Hurray

Best regards, sincerily, Daniel

P.E. is great.........nice work Daniel!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Gunlocks?  Capsquares?   Incredible.  Just incredible. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you David, Popeye and Mark, very appreciated!

XXXDAn

they're gonna look great when installed ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Gun completed....?

That's what you sais last year, after doing quit a bit of rope;making and rigging,and before you discovered PE....

I'm wondering: what will be the next thing you discover to enhance your already perfect guns....?

casting bronze in scale 1:100? functioning flintlocks?

Jan

... functioning flintlocks ...

... ?!? ...

...hmmmm...

When I was in Austria start of this year I had the great honor in meeting with Willi Meischl, wunderful modelmaker and weapon collector. He showed me an english marine trombone with working flints. I did not miss the chance and got a nice shot of it while flashing with both states: Arm back and the small cover protecting the powder closed and arm in front with the cover swung open and the egnition.

Fascinating as agood friend of mine would say ;-)

800_victory-flintlock_6019.jpg

Thanks Jan and Popeye!, Daniel

PS: Here is a link to Wiilis page

http://www.schifferlbauer.at/seite64.html

and his York

http://www.schifferlbauer.at/seite16.html

Edited by dafi

• 2 weeks later...
Here we went on in the lower deck, getting tighter ...

...first table dummies ...

800_Victory_7847.jpg

... followed by some real model making ...

800_Victory_7849.jpg

... first sitting trials ...

800_Victory_7851.jpg

... and tight we go.

800_Victory_7865.jpg

800_Victory_7868.jpg

800_Victory_7867.jpg

bom apetite! 

XXXDAn

simply amazing Daniel......you sir,  have quite an imagination,  to compliment your talent.  I enjoy watching how you juggle the two  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Daniel,

The way you add figures to your model brings so much life to it. Amazing and superb work. As Popeye said, the combination of your imagination and your talent is something quite special. But please Sir, may we have a little food on our plates! :P

I see cannonball racks in our future........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

... these ones?!?

post-182-0-59373900-1371232200_thumb.jpg

...hihihihihi....

Thank you Sirs, but cleared for action is the most boring one in my opinion - just guns and their equipment, everything else stripped ...

...boooooring ;-)

Daniel

yes.....I know about those Daniel....LOL!   I mean,   would that be a possiblity,  of ball racks between the guns?   what is the quickest reload of a ship's cannon?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Daniel,

It just gets better and better,absolutely brilliant work. I fully expect that you will be making scale Georgian Furniture for the Great Cabin when you get to that part of your build. Keep up the good work :cheers:

Dave :dancetl6:

Thank you all :-)

@Popeye: I do not know of racks in between the guns as this would interfere with the handling. As far as I know, extra shot was kept in nets/tarpaulins in the ships center line.

Daniel

you are such a clever person and craftsman, brilliant work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Why do I have a suspicion that there's some cups of beer, some ship's biscuit, and salt beef in the crew's near future? :o   As always, Daniel, your research aind investigation into how things worked and looked has paid off well. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Kevin and Mark :-)

Still trying to replicate the hard tacks in 1:100, a comrade in my german forum already gave me the recipe:

http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/info_sheet_ship_biscuit.htm

But where do I get original lamb for the stew and beef in 1:100 suitable for the needed small portions?!?

Fork and spoon? Did the ranks have forks? I would have guessed just knife and wooden spoon in 1805? Any ideas?

Daniel

Yep, knife and wooden spoon.  Some might have had forks, but I doubt that they were standard issue.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thank you Mark, Lawrence and Dan :-)

The officers used fork and knive, best example is Nelsons fork-knive, also known from other handicapped Sailors of the times.

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/63222.html

large.jpg

Also an example of normal table wear of 1800

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/62263.html

large.jpg

Daniel