HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

very nice work Daniel........who makes the photo etch?   love your work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

So dinner is served, the official start is done, the sets are available:

Or straight from the source:

home

the parts:

to order:

Simply write an e-mail to
webshop@dafinismus.de

Enjoy it, Daniel
Edited by dafi

Daniel,

As always, not only a wonderful build but informative and fun.  By the way, that man at the end of the table.  Why is he sleeping instead of eating? :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think he only is upset, the messmate fetching the food is late ...

XXXDAn

Thanks Jan,

you know I treasure your critical eye :-)

But this is the difference that one step more in development can do. By now I have to say, that they became a great alternative for the builds to follow even to my self made ones  and are a gigantic time saver and are in some respects even more crisp in appearance.

Daniel

Hi Daniel, just now went thru your log, your build is just outstanding!!... and your presentation is "above and beyond" :) 

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

... I never know what you are about to come up[ with next, ....

... neither do I ...

Thanks Lawrence and Frank

I have always known that there is photo etch out there for plastic builds........but I am seeing more and more for plastic ships,  as well as wood.  very interesting work Daniel......I enjoy every new installment ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

The glueing onto the test hull now was rather boring to me apart from the thrill if things will work out, but the developing and fiddling out the drawings and production was a too tempting task :-)

The even more exciting task is bringing life to them on the real build, looking forward to it.

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

...hihihihihihi...

... today someone of a german forum contacted me to "my wonderful wooden model" ...

...hihihihihi...

... wooden ...

... just to put the record straight and to jump back in time ...

... the starting phase, classical oob ...

Victory-0406-26.jpg

Victory-0406-19.jpg

...           ...

...           ...

...           ...

... plastique au goût du chef ...

XXXDAn

PS: That was in 2004, I just glued in the lower battery deck ...
Edited by dafi

was he embarrased to hear that the hull was plastic?  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I do believe not, as we did not bother, as I always say, no matter what material you use, if the model has a soul, nobody bothers anymore about the material :-)

Daniel

PS: That is why I am thankful, that there is no separation of plastik and wood here in MSW as in some other places - it IS nonsense to me.

Edited by dafi

very well spoken Daniel!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very well spoken, and very well done, my friend.  Your ship has soul and it got it from you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Mark and Popeye!

Soemething small went ahead. 

That is why the etch orgy originally started: I could not find enough Xs and Vs ...

... still needs a touch of copper paint.

800_Victory_ahmings_8192.jpg

The upper ones prebent ...

800_Victory_ahmings_8187.jpg

... and used a new technic to fix them: Glue the parts face down onto tape and use spray glue for the back ...

800_Victory_ahmings_8185.jpg

... prefixed on place and finally fixed by applying extra liquid CA with a tooth pick.
Thanks to Bosco/Nicolas and his  Richelieu for this tip.

XXXDAn
Edited by dafi

Now that's a great idea... Like doing transfer lettering (for a signs or vehicle or whatever).... Only much smaller...

Wish I'd thought of that when I put the name on my build... Well maybe next time...

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

that would have been great fore my Cutty Sark build........that's what got me to buy the decal maker program.   the only problem I faced was that ink jet printers don't do white.   if I could have found something like an ALPS printer.....all would have been right with the world.  they are around,  but the price is through the roof!

the decal sheet for the kit was no good,  so I ordered a new sheet from Revell........I got that and two of the three sail sheets.  when I went to use these decals,  I was dismayed to find that even those decals had micro cracked.   I tried to find a place to have them made,  but I got the brush-off instead.   that's when I found the Testor's  'basic'  decal maker kit.  in the kit was a can of decal bonder.......if I knew of this stuff ahead of time,  I could have saved the rest of the decals......especially the waterline markers.   to get those markers,  I printed off about six copies of the decal sheet  {clear film},  and traced over them with a white paint marker.   took about that many tries to get a passable set of markers.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Oh year the Revell Cutty,

did this one too when I was twelve. I was proud like a pair of socks in those days because of the painting I did and which I found IMPACCABLE ...

xPandorasBox_1243.JPG

... and some Vic-business from those glorious days ...

xPandorasBox_1244.JPG

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

ahhhh.....memories....they bring you back,  don't it  :)   I have three ships that are still around since I picked the hobby back up.....before I got into wood kits.   I always say that they are the best barometer of your experience level.....I can see my paint has improved  :)

sometimes I miss plastic.......I have the United States,  that I need wood for,  and I have the Lindberg Jolly Rodgers.......I look forward to fooling around with these some day soon.........got to clear the smoke I created first though ;)

one of my biggest problems with the decal maker is the transparency issue.  I think I need to find a printer that will go over 600 DPI.  I have an HP deskjet F2480 w/ scanner.   I have the Testor's  'decal it'  decal maker standard edition {I sent out for it}.   the basic one will not allow you to import images into it.  the standard edition will allow you to do that.   I've been scanning all kinds of stuff....stencils and the like,  import them in,  and size them down.   it will even bend the text and you can change the font to anything you want......get some really fancy placards and stuff that a way ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I think I will still have to come to the decals topic one day too - the fire buckets on the poop are still waiting ...

Something I did not show yet properly that could be beneficial too for other scales and ships are the plate of eyebolts and hooks ...

Etch-Master_130601_7812.jpg

... and one with extra fine gratings for the launches ...

Etch-Master_130601_7810.jpg

... the backside of course with the visible battens ;-)

Etch-Master_130601_7809.jpg

Cheers Daniel

Daniel,

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous! Look forward to more pictures!

Eddie

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde</strong></span></p><br />

<p> </p><br />

<p><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2720-elsie-by-4whelr-modelshipways/#entry73752</a>'><span style="font-size:12px;"><strong>Current Build - Elsie</strong></span></a>

Thank you Eddie your wish is my command :-)

In the meantime I did some more shots for the assembly instructions, that I don´t wont you to withhold from you ..

The flaglockers ...

Etch_Victory_130706_8214.jpg

... the new bucket holders with longer handles ...

Etch_Victory_130706_8232.jpg 

... and the buckets in place.

Etch_Victory_130706_8313.jpg

The funnel has a better appearence by now ...

Etch_Victory_130706_8257.jpg

... as the new gratings have :-)

The gunport fittings were fixed with double sided tape onto the table. The fittings were glued on using the connection bit ...

Etch_Victory_130706_8259.jpg

... a needle pricks the hole  ...

Etch_Victory_130706_8260.jpg

... for the rings ...

Etch_Victory_130706_8263.jpg

... and here all versions with the required number of inside rings.

Interesting are the lids in the very front and back ...

Etch_Victory_130706_8270.jpg

... very tilted :-)

Holding the lid inside the port, sliding slightly downwards, using the needle to mark the holes, drill them with 0,5 mm, plug in ...

Etch_Victory_130706_8282.jpg

... and done :-)

Etch_Victory_130706_8279.jpg

The fittings need to be shortened on the top, but I needed it for the open versions.

Etch_Victory_130706_8283.jpg

And now the two top decks, once closed ...

Etch_Victory_130706_8298.jpg

... and once opened with the gun behind.

Etch_Victory_130706_8307.jpg

Have a good night, Daniel

superb work Daniel........lots of delicate work!  those gun port lids look especially nice.   are you going to flip the grates over,  so the printed pattern will show?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks Popeye, and Dirk

it is quite interesting and intriguing to see the difference on the gun port lid fittings as soon as you look closer.

That each lid has his own and unique form is quite well known: the curve of the deck, the cutting though the whales and the doubling of this planking in combination with the vertical frames.

Also the Navy-Board defined the size of the gun ports by the calibers. But just the intended ones while building so that a later change in ordonance was leading to inconsistencies in the caliber/size ratio.

Also the details are interesting. Todays Vic in P shows five different versions.

- The lower deck has the small build in vent scuttles. For practical reasons I do believe, that the hinge should point forwards, for that waves slamm this small lid close and no open. So we have a starboard and port version. Two lanyards and two eyebolts on the inside for good and secure lashing when shut

- The middle deck is much the same, with no vent scuttles: Also two lanyards and two eyebolts on the inside 

- The upper gun deck had much smaller ports, here we have two lanyards and just one eyebolt on the inside

- The Lids on the quarter deck cabins have two versions:

- the classical lid with just one lanyard and also one eyebolt on the inside

- and the half lids opening sideways in the area of the channels too protect the deadeyes from the fire (if I understood right)

Yes Dirk, thank you, no matter the material one uses, with a little bit of soul applied it could look like this:

deep17_130530_7617.jpg

deep17_130530_7620.jpg

deep17_130530_7640.jpg

Cheers, Daniel
Edited by dafi

Hello All,

This is only my second post. I have a question not only for Dafi, but also for all of you who have built this model before. Have any of you had problems with the styrene plastic in this kit simply disolving and breaking apart when you hit it with some glue? If so, how did you solve the problem?

My own problem here is that I was installing the Head Rails to my model. They were already painted because I had only a little bit of the Humbrol paint I needed left over ( I have been unable to find any more of it.) Everything looked good and as I installed the head rails I applied the glue (Tenax) and the plastic parts simply began to break apart in my hand. Keep in mind that I was very careful not to get the glue anywhere except the places I wanted to glue. I have had the same problems occur in the past with other Heller kits. I am not sure if it is because of the age of the model kit, or because of the type of styrene the kit is made from. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers!

William

tenax is a very volitile cement.......hope you read the label.   I would say that it depends on how old the kit is that your working on.  I have had some problems.....pretty sparse though.........the plastic being stringy when cut,  and the hardness of the plastic.    it makes me think that this points to a batch issue.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

If Tenax is giving you issues, try Ambroid ProWeld. Slightly different solvent, not quite as volatile as Tenax. To be honest it sounds like you have other problems than your glue. If you'd used too much, the pieces would have turned into a gooey mess... Not fallen apart. I agree with Popeye, you may have an issue with the styrene itself breaking down (rare... But it can happen)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy