HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

Thank you Sirs, very appreciated, just trying my best, sometimes it works out fine :-)

As we had in interesting discussion in Kevins build log, my curiosity was drawn to the storage of the spare spars and the fore stun´ sail booms.

So I took my spare Vic to check the spare spar businesses ...

Plenty of sources state that the spare spares were stowed over the waist, but what does this mean place wise? Something I always suspected, that those two half rounds in the rail at the front were to support those ...

Victory-130804_9008.jpg

... but I never really realised the openings in the aft rail.

Victory-130804_9007.jpg

Like this the main and the fore topmasts fit in properly. (Note: the main could be moved back a tiny bit still)

According to Goodwin in Nelsons Ships the Vic received spare topmasts and booms in between the 15 and 19th of April 1778

Victory-130804_8985.jpg

Victory-130804_8986.jpg

Victory-130804_8988.jpg

Victory-130804_8987.jpg

Also to be seen, the main and fore yards on the gangways are far to long. As they were made yards, can it be that they were still taken apart?

This also means, that the middle boat most possibly was sitting on the spars.

Victory-130804_8990.jpg

Victory-130804_8991.jpg

And on the last one I still added the fore stun´ sail booms to check out this length too

Victory-130804_8993.jpg

PS: There still is the smallest boat missing, it would sit port aft.

Cheers, DAniel

Edited by dafi

how does the possibility of the spare spars (including stun booms) fitting on the channels

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I knew the french did sometimes so. I think the english mostly had the bits on the waist. Also AOTS of the Vic states this.

Daniel

Dafi me again

why is the whole area open - the skids are there to supports the ships boats, but why is it not all enclosed in the first place

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

It was always considered an open deck - even though the decks above. Living was one deck lower. That is why there are also no bulkheads front and aft the waist and no gunport lids in this area.

Daniel

i understand that, but unable to understand, or read why it is an uncovered deck, 

im not suggesting that a couple of cabins were built in that area and the ships boats stowed on top of that, but it would have given a better opportunity for stowage, im sure i will find an answer one day

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 2 weeks later...
So, finally some more easy tinkering was done.

Anchors and hammock crane interaction :-).

800_Victory_focstl_9063.jpg

800_Victory_focstl_9073.jpg

XXXDAn

what do you have the rigging tied to?..........I'm sure it not perminant.......if it were,  you would have done the dead eyes / lanyards.  is this something your going to add at a later time?   .....very nice hammock set up......your little doirama looks great!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hy Popeye,

thank you, and your guess is hot - these are mere preliminary guides just to see where the shrouds are situated.

Have a good time, Daniel

in real life the anchor stowage position with the netting must have been a pain, but i dont see how it can be avoided

i love watching your work

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Thank you Kevin,

but I do strongly think, that dealing with the netting was the smallest task in the whole process ...

:-)

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

And one more thing ...

;-)

I do believe it was not sliding the anchor into the hole in the netting ...

... it was much more opening two ropes that were holding the hetting, swinging the netting back, handling the anchor without obstruction and putting the netting back.

Also, this was an anchor, that was not in constant use.

Love and peace, Daniel

Edited by dafi

-fail-fail-fail-

Was waiting already but nobody mentioned so far the missing side tackles on the guns ;-)

But lazy dafi was trying to avoid work and was looking for easy-easy-easy way of cheating: casting he believed would be the easy option, making two halves and glueing them together in the required length ...

... 30 times lashed and 6 times in position ...

... lazy bastard ...

So made very fastily blocks out of Evergreen rods ...

Victory-130802_8963.jpg

... went fast, drilled with 0,5 mm after setting a centre punch, fastily drilled  ...

Victory-130802_8964.jpg

... and cut to length on a double sided tape.

Small tail in the end ...

Victory-130802_8968.jpg

... some wire rope into the blocks ...

Victory-130803_8969.jpg

... and we got some cute sado-maso-killer-sperms :-)

Happily made some wire lashings around ...

Victory-1308010_9052.jpg

... did the castings ...

... and cried my eyes out as the resin needed for those tiny bits was pure waste ...

... and the parts too small and flimsy for mass production ...

... and on top of it the cleaning of the parts ...

... then realised that I need to paint them ... 

... and the looks were not what i had in mind ...

... so got out the big chopper and reduced some parts ...

Victory-1308010_9030.jpg

... to fit a nice fresh meal for the poor little sailors, sittings for weeks already in front of their empty plates ...

800_Victory-meal_9034.jpg

... and the rest ...

Victory-1308010_9039.jpg

... went into Tar Jack´s box of the dead hallows, where all discarded parts end up.

And so much for the wasted brainwaves, material and time to make it easy and fast ?!?

And then I realised, how easy it could have been ...

... more soon.

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

I wouldn't call it "wasted"...  Learning never is.  :)

I'm waiting for what you realised...post-76-0-00422800-1376437214.gif  Photo-etch?  Gnomes working with tiny pieces of wood?  Magic munchkins dancing in the woods and casting spells?   The suspense is terrible......post-76-0-28196800-1376437213.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I dunno......I was thinking about the diorama.......there really isn't that much deck there to do anything with....let alone gun carriages and rigging.  you have me at a loss.......I'm resigned to sit back and watch all this unfold.   it was kinda cool to see you make those blocks.....I have a small bin with a bunch of blocks from past 1:96 scale builds....I don't have the heart to throw them away  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Your scrap box looks better than my build

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Your scrap box looks better than my build

LIAR!!!

:-) :-) :-)

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

I don't know Daniel......another man's trash is another man's treasure.   I mean.....you got a couple of capstans in there that are even making  me envious.   but I'm sure Kevin was exagerating.  LOL!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

lol

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Somewhere, somehow, sometimes I was wondering what I was doing ...

... and tried to remember, how things should look like, took some Evergreen, drilled some blocks, took 2 of my etch parts hooks (ATTENTION: Product placement), took some line, and after some hooks and turns ... 

800_Victory_9029.jpg

... that easy, so easy, so lessens learned: No more cheating attempts!!! (Message to myself: Write this down a 100 times to never forget again)

So produced new blocks, punched some holes with the scriber on the 1 x 2 mm rod for the double blocks ...

800_Victory_9045.jpg

... and on the 1 x 1 mm rod for the single blocks ...

800_Victory_9044.jpg

... drilled with 0,5 mm ...

800_Victory_9049.jpg

... and roughened the surface with a abrasive fleece.

800_Victory_9050.jpg

While cutting to length I used the scalpel to round the surface and out came an amount of itzy-bitzy-teeny-wheeny extra small blocks.

800_Victory_9051.jpg

Instead of painting I remembered tinting, a trick I once used successful while my studies on polyamide spheres: Tinting powder for synthetic fiber. But does this work for polystyrene? 

So the powder with vinegar and the parts into the pot and boil well and long :-)

Victory-1308010_9022.jpg

The toughest was to find the itzy-bitzy-teeny-wheeny extra small blocks in this mess in between the remains of undissolved color powder ...

800_Victory_9040.jpg

... and it really worked! Not as well as I thought it would, but well enough for my needs.

On the bigger parts one can see how much the color was absorbed and on the smaller ones particles of the powder even gave darker spots.

800_Victory_9082.jpg

Fixed the drill upside down ...

800_Victory_9092.jpg

... used it to hold the block, knotted a thread onto one of my blackened hooks and attached it with some CA onto the block.

800_Victory_9093.jpg

Then knotted the backside and fixed all well with CA. The single block was done accordingly, just one side of the thread was left long  ...

800_Victory_9099.jpg

... to serve as lanyard, the ensemble put to length and secured with CA. Then the lanyard was wound round on the serving machine, checked ...

800_Victory_9101.jpg

... and fits  :-)

800_Victory_9103.jpg

800_Victory_9106.jpg

A tad too short for this place, but this one will fit aft, where there is difference in lengths because of the curve of the hull. :-)

Cheers, dafi

Edited by dafi

No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! 

XXXDAn

NOW CLASS..........uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jimmy...........Now give me that knife!

KA...................................<THUNK>

thank you!

Awwwww,  no need to punish yourself :)   we've all done thing to try and speed up a process or two.   sometimes it turns around and bites us,  but if it works......all the better!    I was thinking of your diorama..........I did look back in the thread as well.....figured I missed something.   I did give thought to the actual model........but that was way back there,  in the log.   you know...it's funny,  but for a long time,  I never knew that there was more rigging to the cannons than met the eye.   Revell never showed this added bit of rigging detail,  they just showed the breech ropes.  I come here.......and boy,  my eyes were opened wide....the things I never saw.  this is the reason why I like your build log here so much.......you expose so much to the light......shine on you crazy diamond!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Daniel....... you sir, are amazing!!!....... and thanks for your likes  :D

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thank you Popeye, Lawrence, Frank, Mark, Kevin, Dubz and Davy :-)

No more cheating attempts! No more cheating attempts! No more cheating attempts ...

And one more reason why ...

... as the cheat was already planned for a long time, when I assembled the carriages, I omitted the eyebolt for the side tackle ...

... and fixed the guns ...

... yes the ring was meant to be faked ...

... meant ...

... yep ...

...and now ???

So learn it the hard way dafi.

Luckily the Flying Spaghetti Monster made me do the holes for the eyebolts at the times that the carriages were assembled, so with pointed pliers ...

etch_Victory-bolts_9239.jpg

... the CA-hardened breeching ropes were slid beside and the ring pushed in. Unfortunately just makable in the wrong vertical orientation ...

etch_Victory-bolts_9241.jpg

... so it still had to be turned with a pointed scaler :-)

Luckily I did some ships in the bottle when I was young ...

And after being in a teeny-weeny-mode, I decided to want to have the rings for the back tackles done the right way, so I took some of my smallest etch eyebolts (attention product placement for dafis smaller than life etch parts), combined with the next size ...

etch_Victory-bolts_9244.jpg

... and got something that just fitted the purpose :-)

etch_Victory-bolts_9249.jpg

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

Nonononononononononono, I swear!

It was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psated

;-)

XXXDAn

Thank you Jan :-)

... and here I go again ...

... the blocks ...

... as discribed before punched with the scribing needle, drilled ...

800_Victory-blocks_9214.jpg

... one side already rounded ...

800_Victory-blocks_9220.jpg

... and after putting to lenth trapped underneath the finger´s nail to get the opposite side rounded ...

800_Victory-blocks_9222.jpg

... and like shake´n´bake we got some nice great little itzy-bitzy-teeny-weeny sweet blocks :-)

BUT! Stop Press!

First I was not in a mood for the messy story with the dying stuff and second, isn´t there a better way ?!?

Tja ... that´s dafi ...

... didn´t dafi already make these nice little blocks from wood !?! No messy dying and so on?.

So I tried a simplified version. Prepared two wooden battens accordingly in  1 x 1 mm und 2 x 1 mm - made a distance holder into the drill stand for the distance to the edge and pushed the batten upwards (green) and then moved according to the red mark to the side. 

800_Victory-tackles_9230.jpg

For the double block still turned 180° and did a second round. Works rather fast :-)

800_Victory-tackles_9232.jpg

Then some bondage with Sello-Tape ...

800_Victory-tackles_9235.jpg

... and lenghtened with grinding disk which does not create splintering ...

800_Victory-tackles_9212.jpg

... and unpacked.

Then empaled the blocks on a old 0,5 mm drill ...

800_Victory-tackles_9195.jpg

... and cleand and rounded the corners ...

800_Victory-tackles_9197.jpg

... bound a thread onto one of my etch hooks and glued it well centered onto the back side.

800_Victory-tackles_9198.jpg

Then a knot and some glue on the other side ...

800_Victory-tackles_9200.jpg

... shortened the short side of the tread ...

800_Victory-tackles_9202.jpg

... and ready the single block :-)

The same for the double block, just both ends cut.

800_Victory-tackles_9206.jpg