The Journal is now Digital Read more... ×
dafi

HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

Hello Popeye and Kevin,

the height is 1,5 mm, the thickness is 0,2 mm :-)

Yes there were on the stern too:

800_Victory_ahmings_8192.jpg

And here the ones from Royal George', that sank in 1782:

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/63420.html

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/102769.html

XXXDAn

So far so good, but the next part was a bit scary ...

... you remember, on the heads and in the fighting tops I already tried some netting. But it was quite ridgit and I knew not what would come out now.

So put the gaze into a cardboard frame  ...

Victory-130723_8781.jpg

... and painted nicely with beige, added some plain white and dirtied it with very diluted black ink.

Victory-130723_8783.jpg

Easy to see how the appearance became more homogenous.

Then did a test fit and realised how the holes got stuck on the hammock cranes ...

Victory-130723_8784.jpg

... but it looked ok so far.

Victory-130723_8786.jpg

Some test handling on the outside ...

Victory-130723_8788.jpg

... proved that the netting should curl outside instead of inside.

Then introduced some papers as introduction help and introducing the netting was no subject of getting stuck any more :-)

Victory-130723_8789.jpg

Got the front paper out, adjusted the height towards the rope ...

Victory-130723_8795.jpg

... and glued with CA the netting onto the rope .

Then used the hammocks to press down the netting ...

Victory-130723_8798.jpg

... pulled out the back paper and also the hammocks, used pincers to hold rope and netting together and used CA to fix.

Victory-130723_8851.jpg

Then cut the side length ...

Victory-130723_8849.jpg

... and the most tricky, cleaning up the top edge with some fine and sharp nail scissors - without cutting the top rope!

Victory-130723_8862.jpg

Looks intriguing enough :-)

Victory-130723_8863.jpg

Victory-130723_8870.jpg

And another fascinating task, painting the hammocks using my beloved casein paints with all kind of whiter shades of pale ...

Victory-130723_8876.jpg

... looking if the colors work if hidden behind the netting ...

Victory-130723_8878.jpg

... some differentiation with some more different shades of ochre ...

Victory-130725_8899.jpg

... put in place ...

Victory-130725_8907.jpg

... gently and pushed in :-)

Victory-130725_8910.jpg

Fascinating!

Victory-130725_8916.jpg

Victory-130725_8925.jpg

And as you see on the left - the Tic-Tac would not fit in :-)

Good night and sleep well,

Daniel

As always, excellent work, Daniel.  So, is this on your 'test pieces' or on the real model? 

I love the way your mind works..........I quite agree.....fasinating!  :)      this is photo etch...am I correct.....in the early pictures,  I notice the tiny holes in the weave.....so cool.   I do wonder if the airbrush would make a better delivery for the paint.   brushes tend to push the paint into gaps and places one would not want the paint to go......leaving the texture detail to remain.   I intend to do something like this on the United States........I have a good amount of tulle on hand.  I think it will work..can't wait to try it.   beautifully done Daniel......always pleasing to the eyes  ;)

Thank you Mark, B.E., Robin and Popeye :-)

Very appreciated!

Yes Popeye, those are the cranes from my own etch part series (some subliminal advertising) :-)

These are even not painted but only blackened using the normal Krick blackener. I use this one on all the brass parts (apart from assembly instructions) as it provides a good base for painting and avoids shiny gaps where the color did not end up.

All the best, Daniel

Edited by dafi

Hi Daniel

Thank you very much for your information on your great hull depth markers they sure look good. I am working on the AL model Victory scale 1:84. I have just found your fantastic etch brass  plates catalogue. I am wondering just how these depth markers and a few more things would look like on my smaller scaled model Victory?  Keep up the great work and I am enjoying all your pictures, found your version of the Hammock Cranes fascinating, what a great look you have given them.

Regards   Lawrence 

Thank you Sirs, very appreciated, just trying my best, sometimes it works out fine :-)

As we had in interesting discussion in Kevins build log, my curiosity was drawn to the storage of the spare spars and the fore stun´ sail booms.

So I took my spare Vic to check the spare spar businesses ...

Plenty of sources state that the spare spares were stowed over the waist, but what does this mean place wise? Something I always suspected, that those two half rounds in the rail at the front were to support those ...

Victory-130804_9008.jpg

... but I never really realised the openings in the aft rail.

Victory-130804_9007.jpg

Like this the main and the fore topmasts fit in properly. (Note: the main could be moved back a tiny bit still)

According to Goodwin in Nelsons Ships the Vic received spare topmasts and booms in between the 15 and 19th of April 1778

Victory-130804_8985.jpg

Victory-130804_8986.jpg

Victory-130804_8988.jpg

Victory-130804_8987.jpg

Also to be seen, the main and fore yards on the gangways are far to long. As they were made yards, can it be that they were still taken apart?

This also means, that the middle boat most possibly was sitting on the spars.

Victory-130804_8990.jpg

Victory-130804_8991.jpg

And on the last one I still added the fore stun´ sail booms to check out this length too

Victory-130804_8993.jpg

PS: There still is the smallest boat missing, it would sit port aft.

Cheers, DAniel

Edited by dafi

how does the possibility of the spare spars (including stun booms) fitting on the channels

I knew the french did sometimes so. I think the english mostly had the bits on the waist. Also AOTS of the Vic states this.

Daniel

Dafi me again

why is the whole area open - the skids are there to supports the ships boats, but why is it not all enclosed in the first place

It was always considered an open deck - even though the decks above. Living was one deck lower. That is why there are also no bulkheads front and aft the waist and no gunport lids in this area.

Daniel

i understand that, but unable to understand, or read why it is an uncovered deck, 

im not suggesting that a couple of cabins were built in that area and the ships boats stowed on top of that, but it would have given a better opportunity for stowage, im sure i will find an answer one day

what do you have the rigging tied to?..........I'm sure it not perminant.......if it were,  you would have done the dead eyes / lanyards.  is this something your going to add at a later time?   .....very nice hammock set up......your little doirama looks great!  ;)

Hy Popeye,

thank you, and your guess is hot - these are mere preliminary guides just to see where the shrouds are situated.

Have a good time, Daniel

in real life the anchor stowage position with the netting must have been a pain, but i dont see how it can be avoided

i love watching your work

Thank you Kevin,

but I do strongly think, that dealing with the netting was the smallest task in the whole process ...

:-)

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

And one more thing ...

;-)

I do believe it was not sliding the anchor into the hole in the netting ...

... it was much more opening two ropes that were holding the hetting, swinging the netting back, handling the anchor without obstruction and putting the netting back.

Also, this was an anchor, that was not in constant use.

Love and peace, Daniel

Edited by dafi

-fail-fail-fail-

Was waiting already but nobody mentioned so far the missing side tackles on the guns ;-)

But lazy dafi was trying to avoid work and was looking for easy-easy-easy way of cheating: casting he believed would be the easy option, making two halves and glueing them together in the required length ...

... 30 times lashed and 6 times in position ...

... lazy bastard ...

So made very fastily blocks out of Evergreen rods ...

Victory-130802_8963.jpg

... went fast, drilled with 0,5 mm after setting a centre punch, fastily drilled  ...

Victory-130802_8964.jpg

... and cut to length on a double sided tape.

Small tail in the end ...

Victory-130802_8968.jpg

... some wire rope into the blocks ...

Victory-130803_8969.jpg

... and we got some cute sado-maso-killer-sperms :-)

Happily made some wire lashings around ...

Victory-1308010_9052.jpg

... did the castings ...

... and cried my eyes out as the resin needed for those tiny bits was pure waste ...

... and the parts too small and flimsy for mass production ...

... and on top of it the cleaning of the parts ...

... then realised that I need to paint them ... 

... and the looks were not what i had in mind ...

... so got out the big chopper and reduced some parts ...

Victory-1308010_9030.jpg

... to fit a nice fresh meal for the poor little sailors, sittings for weeks already in front of their empty plates ...

800_Victory-meal_9034.jpg

... and the rest ...

Victory-1308010_9039.jpg

... went into Tar Jack´s box of the dead hallows, where all discarded parts end up.

And so much for the wasted brainwaves, material and time to make it easy and fast ?!?

And then I realised, how easy it could have been ...

... more soon.

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

I wouldn't call it "wasted"...  Learning never is.  :)

I'm waiting for what you realised...post-76-0-00422800-1376437214.gif  Photo-etch?  Gnomes working with tiny pieces of wood?  Magic munchkins dancing in the woods and casting spells?   The suspense is terrible......post-76-0-28196800-1376437213.gif

I dunno......I was thinking about the diorama.......there really isn't that much deck there to do anything with....let alone gun carriages and rigging.  you have me at a loss.......I'm resigned to sit back and watch all this unfold.   it was kinda cool to see you make those blocks.....I have a small bin with a bunch of blocks from past 1:96 scale builds....I don't have the heart to throw them away  ;)

Your scrap box looks better than my build

LIAR!!!

:-) :-) :-)

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

I don't know Daniel......another man's trash is another man's treasure.   I mean.....you got a couple of capstans in there that are even making  me envious.   but I'm sure Kevin was exagerating.  LOL!