The Journal is now Digital Read more... ×
dafi

HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

Somewhere, somehow, sometimes I was wondering what I was doing ...

... and tried to remember, how things should look like, took some Evergreen, drilled some blocks, took 2 of my etch parts hooks (ATTENTION: Product placement), took some line, and after some hooks and turns ... 

800_Victory_9029.jpg

... that easy, so easy, so lessens learned: No more cheating attempts!!! (Message to myself: Write this down a 100 times to never forget again)

So produced new blocks, punched some holes with the scriber on the 1 x 2 mm rod for the double blocks ...

800_Victory_9045.jpg

... and on the 1 x 1 mm rod for the single blocks ...

800_Victory_9044.jpg

... drilled with 0,5 mm ...

800_Victory_9049.jpg

... and roughened the surface with a abrasive fleece.

800_Victory_9050.jpg

While cutting to length I used the scalpel to round the surface and out came an amount of itzy-bitzy-teeny-wheeny extra small blocks.

800_Victory_9051.jpg

Instead of painting I remembered tinting, a trick I once used successful while my studies on polyamide spheres: Tinting powder for synthetic fiber. But does this work for polystyrene? 

So the powder with vinegar and the parts into the pot and boil well and long :-)

Victory-1308010_9022.jpg

The toughest was to find the itzy-bitzy-teeny-wheeny extra small blocks in this mess in between the remains of undissolved color powder ...

800_Victory_9040.jpg

... and it really worked! Not as well as I thought it would, but well enough for my needs.

On the bigger parts one can see how much the color was absorbed and on the smaller ones particles of the powder even gave darker spots.

800_Victory_9082.jpg

Fixed the drill upside down ...

800_Victory_9092.jpg

... used it to hold the block, knotted a thread onto one of my blackened hooks and attached it with some CA onto the block.

800_Victory_9093.jpg

Then knotted the backside and fixed all well with CA. The single block was done accordingly, just one side of the thread was left long  ...

800_Victory_9099.jpg

... to serve as lanyard, the ensemble put to length and secured with CA. Then the lanyard was wound round on the serving machine, checked ...

800_Victory_9101.jpg

... and fits  :-)

800_Victory_9103.jpg

800_Victory_9106.jpg

A tad too short for this place, but this one will fit aft, where there is difference in lengths because of the curve of the hull. :-)

Cheers, dafi

Edited by dafi

No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! No more cheating attempts!!! 

XXXDAn

NOW CLASS..........uhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jimmy...........Now give me that knife!

KA...................................<THUNK>

thank you!

Awwwww,  no need to punish yourself :)   we've all done thing to try and speed up a process or two.   sometimes it turns around and bites us,  but if it works......all the better!    I was thinking of your diorama..........I did look back in the thread as well.....figured I missed something.   I did give thought to the actual model........but that was way back there,  in the log.   you know...it's funny,  but for a long time,  I never knew that there was more rigging to the cannons than met the eye.   Revell never showed this added bit of rigging detail,  they just showed the breech ropes.  I come here.......and boy,  my eyes were opened wide....the things I never saw.  this is the reason why I like your build log here so much.......you expose so much to the light......shine on you crazy diamond!

Hi Daniel

Your tackle gear for the cannons sure looks good, nice and tiny, yours is a lot smaller than mine, but seams to fit in better the little space around the cannons.  No more cheating attempts!!! I thought this was neat.

Regards   Lawrence

Thank you Popeye, Lawrence, Frank, Mark, Kevin, Dubz and Davy :-)

No more cheating attempts! No more cheating attempts! No more cheating attempts ...

And one more reason why ...

... as the cheat was already planned for a long time, when I assembled the carriages, I omitted the eyebolt for the side tackle ...

... and fixed the guns ...

... yes the ring was meant to be faked ...

... meant ...

... yep ...

...and now ???

So learn it the hard way dafi.

Luckily the Flying Spaghetti Monster made me do the holes for the eyebolts at the times that the carriages were assembled, so with pointed pliers ...

etch_Victory-bolts_9239.jpg

... the CA-hardened breeching ropes were slid beside and the ring pushed in. Unfortunately just makable in the wrong vertical orientation ...

etch_Victory-bolts_9241.jpg

... so it still had to be turned with a pointed scaler :-)

Luckily I did some ships in the bottle when I was young ...

And after being in a teeny-weeny-mode, I decided to want to have the rings for the back tackles done the right way, so I took some of my smallest etch eyebolts (attention product placement for dafis smaller than life etch parts), combined with the next size ...

etch_Victory-bolts_9244.jpg

... and got something that just fitted the purpose :-)

etch_Victory-bolts_9249.jpg

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

Looks wonderful!

(btw I assume your 'no more cheating'-lines were mass-produced, almost in a cheating-like way)

Jan

Nonononononononononono, I swear!

It was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psatedIt was nat copy-psated

;-)

XXXDAn

Thank you Jan :-)

... and here I go again ...

... the blocks ...

... as discribed before punched with the scribing needle, drilled ...

800_Victory-blocks_9214.jpg

... one side already rounded ...

800_Victory-blocks_9220.jpg

... and after putting to lenth trapped underneath the finger´s nail to get the opposite side rounded ...

800_Victory-blocks_9222.jpg

... and like shake´n´bake we got some nice great little itzy-bitzy-teeny-weeny sweet blocks :-)

BUT! Stop Press!

First I was not in a mood for the messy story with the dying stuff and second, isn´t there a better way ?!?

Tja ... that´s dafi ...

... didn´t dafi already make these nice little blocks from wood !?! No messy dying and so on?.

So I tried a simplified version. Prepared two wooden battens accordingly in  1 x 1 mm und 2 x 1 mm - made a distance holder into the drill stand for the distance to the edge and pushed the batten upwards (green) and then moved according to the red mark to the side. 

800_Victory-tackles_9230.jpg

For the double block still turned 180° and did a second round. Works rather fast :-)

800_Victory-tackles_9232.jpg

Then some bondage with Sello-Tape ...

800_Victory-tackles_9235.jpg

... and lenghtened with grinding disk which does not create splintering ...

800_Victory-tackles_9212.jpg

... and unpacked.

Then empaled the blocks on a old 0,5 mm drill ...

800_Victory-tackles_9195.jpg

... and cleand and rounded the corners ...

800_Victory-tackles_9197.jpg

... bound a thread onto one of my etch hooks and glued it well centered onto the back side.

800_Victory-tackles_9198.jpg

Then a knot and some glue on the other side ...

800_Victory-tackles_9200.jpg

... shortened the short side of the tread ...

800_Victory-tackles_9202.jpg

... and ready the single block :-)

The same for the double block, just both ends cut.

800_Victory-tackles_9206.jpg

Made a small scale to measure the required length ...

800_Victory-tackles_9256.jpg

... and put the blocks into my serving machine. The compass allows easy reading of the required length.

800_Victory-tackles_9259.jpg

Fitted the lanyards, fixed with glue ...

800_Victory-tackles_9263.jpg

... and wrapped around.

800_Victory-tackles_9265.jpg

Looked strange and impracticable, so decided to consult the literature again. Then tried a final wrap in the middle and ended up with no major wrapping, just a big loop and some minor wrapping in the middle. Looks much more logical.

800_Victory-tackles_9275.jpg

The the final assembly on the trucks and it finally worked the way I wanted!

800_Victory-tackles_9287.jpg

So after months of no sleep, dafi finally will have a good rest tonight :-)

Sleep well all of you and dream of me nicely ...

... that is what one could call nightmares ;-)

I notice that you didn't put eye bolts in the bulwark....not that it matters,  but i figured I'd mention it  ;)    a lot of detail.......and you still have quite a few cannons to fit out.  they will look really good though,  once your finished.   great work Dr. Dafi!

Thanks Mark and got me Popeye ...

That was the corner that was too tricky for wanted result: it will not show to apparent on the pictures :-)

This is just a omission for the lower decks, visible guns will be fitted properly, promised!

Dr. dafi

folks like us.......we'd be all over it  :)........but the normal person looking at her wouldn't think in that small a detail.  the cannons visible from the spar deck would need to be done ........I like it....looks great!  yepper.......needs to be some sort of rigging to hold those buggers in place!  ;)

Well, I guess I'll be following along another cool WIP thread here. I just purchased this kit at a price that I couldn't refuse and then I found a toy donkeys head under my pillow... :D family played a joke because we just got done watching Godfather series on TMC?? on TV. Anyway, you're doing great I'm already picking up a lot of useful information. I tell ya, this website as whole is a gold mine  :10_1_10:

Mike

Thank you very much :-)

... so easy going tackle knitting watching Sanctuary on TV ...

... goes down the hand easily ...

... or better saying the serving machine :-)

800_Victory_tackles_9290.jpg

XXXDAn

Great mods and redo's.  I love what you have done.  I use that same copper tape..have so for over 35 years.  It is wonderful.

Thanks for posting...great combination of wood and plastic. Looks superb.

Rob

*blow*

*cough*

... only been away for 57 years and already that much dust?

*think*

What was my favorite pass-time here?

*scratichingthebeard*

Oh yes, there was someting - DEMOLITION!!!

800_Victory_side-entry_0169.jpg

... okokokokok ...

... I know, that the side entry port was already "finally" fixed, but it was stronger than me :-)

...hihihihihihihi...

XXXDAn

To be honest ...

... I do personally strongly believe that there is more evidence that it was not there than those that it was. :-)

But it is a too nice feature to be omitted in the build - so I took some castings to add to my resin parts.

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

To be honest ...

... I do personally strongly believe that there is more evidence that it was not there than those that it was. :-)

But it is a too nice feature to be omitted in the build - so I took some castings to add to my resin parts.

XXXDAn

I too have thought long and hard about this. My conclusion was that I think the entry ports were there, but the top and bottom were built up to resemble the adjacent gun ports when out of harbour, and perhaps even a 'jury lid' made, ready for a lengthy sea commission. However, all the records show that the middle gun deck had 28 cannon, and not the 30 of the decks above and below. Could the captain have ordered an extra two cannons while the ship was being victualed - thus not being shown on official records?

I never had the time to do a complete research in the NMM.

It looks to me that the entry port disappeared somehow from the drawings in the 1780´s (because of wartimes - American War of Independence?) and just reappeared in the 1805´s.

A complete survey of all the three decker´s plans and models should perhaps clarify this and especially the dates. Another thing is, that the plans just show the starboard side and remember that at one point the ports were only on the port side. Does not make things easier ...

So I enjoy the bit of artistic license ;-)

The other thing is the question of how these ports was shut. So far - even with the help of the board here - no strong hint was found. All model that I found so far lack a door. 

See more:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/333-side-entry-ports-on-british-first-and-second-rates/

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi