The Journal is now Digital Read more... ×
dafi

HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

When the gun recoils (jumping or not :) ), do both breachropes have the same amount of slack,

or is the thinner breachrope slightly longer, and just the safe guard if the thick one fails?

Jan

I made them both for the same length, respecting some a tad shorter if fixed on the hanging knee :-)

The given dimension is three times the length of the barrel, and this really is just about the right length as I could see on the model. Both have the same diameter.

The positioning of the ring on the side is very clever, as it keeps the rope clear of the hind wheels. But even with both ropes I managed to find an arrangement, where both ropes can be kept clear of each other and the wheels, as looping around the back of the truck or fouling the wheels would have had very unwanted effects ...

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

Hi Daniel

You sure are doing a great job on your build the HMS victory, keep up the great work and ENJOY.

Daniel on the etch sheet  # 5 you have a positioning template, what is the best glue to use, CA would sure hold but I think it would be very hard to use in this case, ma by you can help.  

Regards   Lawrence

Hi Daniel

Thank you very much for the pencil tip, yes I was afraid of the glue sticking to the template is why I ask.

Regards   Lawrence

This week was week to remember, because of ...

*please fill in your own guesses*

XXXDAn

modeling: all your cannons are rigged :)

How do do. you know me that well ?

Quite close - all guns finally fixed on the lower deck :-)

Dan

Edited by dafi

Daniel, After a long hiatus, I still marvel at your intricate details. And just when I think I've solved a conundrum, you challenge us with more questions and insights.  Great fun to follow your log. Cheers, Gil 

Thank you Gil :-)

And some tinkering was done too ... 

First replaced the parcel strings aka side tackles by a better suited rope and reworked the pullies to get them into the right dimensions now.

800_Victory-guntackle_0424.jpg

Preassembled outside the hull and a small thread around for not getting tangled up and in we go. For the back hooks I use fine electro pliers, they give more control than tweezers ...

800_Victory-guntackle_0431.jpg

... but for the front hook no other way than the tweezers for space reasons.

800_Victory-guntackle_0432.jpg

In the end everything ended on the right place aka hook ...

800_Victory-guntackle_1342.jpg

... and time to pull the strings :-)

800_Victory-guntackle_1336.jpg

And now usually come the nice coils on the deck, but like the drawing looks already a bit naughty, I wanted to look for a spiritual salvation for those sailors not to get into ideas ...

Often seen too that the rope leads in a straight line from the pulley down to the coil. 

800_Victory-guntackle_0439b.jpg

This made me think ...

First: How can a rope be pulled straight down to the coil? The coil just lies on the deck and it is not fixed. The only way would be the rope to fall loosely from the pulley to the deck and is lead there to the coil.

Second and more important: Why are the tackles not stopped/belayed? It is possible to show a unsecured tackle in dry dock like the V. in P., but on a real ship, the first wave loosens the tackle and soon one has a lot of stray guns on the deck dancing samba ...

First consequences for my build, either one holds the tackle or it should be belayed :-)

For the next guns to be worked on, battle stations should be already prepared, but crew occupied on the guns of the opposite side.

So the tackles got secured by a half hitch (or a overhand knot with draw-loop) behind the rear blocks.

800_Victory-guntackle_1358.jpg 

800_Victory-guntackle_1372.jpg

And something surprising but logical: As I used the original lengths of rope, the back tackles do not need a coil or something alike, as there is almost no rope left :-)

800_Victory-guntackle_1352.jpg

I letted the free end on the deck, even though it could have been arranged nicely otherwise.

XXXDAn

What brings up the next question: What to be done with the length of the side tackles running side ?

My usual way, take a length of rope and check the options. The coil was not in my mind for several reasons, that is why I did not try it here.

First loosely placed beside the gun - over the breeching rope that lies on the deck - as seen on V. in P. on several guns.

Victory-131102_1395.jpg

I do not like it as ropes could get tangled up easily. Second try, put behind the gun where usually the coils are placed ...

Victory-131102_1388.jpg

... gives a nice trap to fit the back tackle.

And here my personal favorite, also seen on several museum ships, loose loops put over the barrel. 

Keeps the floor free, no messing, easy to grap.

Victory-131102_1397.jpg 

As Captain Hardy was sad to have been was some kind of etiquette freak here a more "ship shape" or "Bristol-fashion" style of: the loops secured in the middle.

Victory-131102_1451.jpg

Victory-131102_1455.jpg

And this is my personal winner :-)

XXXDAn

Daniel,

As always, fantastic detail work.  Your passion for getting things right shows through!  Attached picture shows one of Victory's guns secured and you can see how the falls of the side tackles are secured.  When at sea and not cleared for action the guns were very tightly secured to prevent them rolling around.  In your fantastic depiction of the guns, they are cleared for action with all tackles and breech ropes in place.  The train tackles were removed when the guns were secured.  Hope this helps.

Patrick

post-470-0-55141800-1383489275_thumb.jpg

Daniel,

Of course I just went onto the HMS Victory Ship Modellers Forum site and there you are with posts on the guns...and many other topics.  So I'm telling you stuff you already know way more about than me!

Patrick

For the background of this display: The guncrew is busy excercising on the opposite side, so these guns are run out for symmetrical reasons and ready for combat with all tackles set. As they are left alone for the time being, the tackles are secured by a half hitch (or a overhand knot with draw-loop) and the length of the rope put over the barrel for easy grabbing. Like this the gun could go into combat within the second.

So keep on dreaming ...

Victory-131102_1439.jpg

Victory-131101_1415.jpg

Victory-131102_0794.jpg

Victory-131102_0799.jpg

Here just for the scales sake :-)

Victory-131102_1425.jpg

Victory-131101_1423.jpg

And my favorite shot for today :-)

Victory-131102_1471.jpg

XXXDAn

wow ok now i know what i got to do much later not looking good for me popeye  but i got to say really nice clean work u have done there

That tictac is really out of scale!

I like your 'minidiorama's' in the context of the larger build.

Are you going to put all 850 crewmembers onto your ship?

Jan

Thank you Popeye, dragzz, Jan, Patrick, Matti and Nigel :-)

But as shown before, this could be just one way of displaying the tackles. The hint of keeping not needed ropes on top of the barrel is something, that is displayed on both Vic and Consti, Just the bow-tie I had to add as the rope was a little to stiff to get an even result otherwise. But the coils are not fixed, so I still have space for improvement.

@ Jan,

yeah it took ages to produce such a big Tic-Tac, that´s why I was slow in the build lately ...

... and I do not think to produce 850, I think 820 will do the job ...

;-)

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

Hi Daniel

Great work on your cannons, they sure are looking great. Your little hooks that you use on your blocks are very nice and look very realistic, wish that I had ordered your brass etched sheet to add to my build. But it's to late for that now, but I will on my next build, that is if I ever finish the HMS Victory, Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence 

Thank you Lawrence, but they should be handled with care as they are highly addictive!

Never thought about using them that much when I designed them, but as they were there - a small trial - and crack - you are doomed and highly addicted from the first consumption on ...

XXXXDAn

Anyway, no something completely different ...

... re worked the anatomic side of Sponge-Bob as my son calls him and Dr Tentacle also got his wild brothers put into custody.

800_victory_guncrew_0374.jpg

While the starbord side is deserted as we know from previous posts, we can slowly start populating the port side. As everybody was given a number, n# 4 is already swapping the barrel with his sponge while n# 3 is helping with the cartridge.

800_victory_guncrew_1263.jpg

Still looks quite spacious ...

800_victory_guncrew_1264.jpg

800_victory_guncrew_1258.jpg

800_victory_guncrew_1261.jpg

800_victory_guncrew_1260.jpg

... but with the training in place it is getting tighter and tighter. Also I would not like to stand there without somebody holding the back tackle - if not one wave and some tons of iron and wood jump towards you and no way to jump out of this tackle bondage.

800_victory_guncrew_1272.jpg

800_victory_guncrew_1276.jpg

And now imagine 5 guys on the tackle left and 5 guys on the tackle right, pulling the strings, helping with the handspikes, reaching for worm-hooks, wad pads and cannon balls and the guncaptain touching off the hole with his thump - THAT will be hot. And then the same to the gun on the left and the same to the gun on the right. Better than the tube at rush hour ...

... seen from the top, one really can imagine.

800_victory_guncrew_1277.jpg

Soon more,

XXXDAn