dafi

HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

Thank you very much Sirs!

While preparing the next input, just to keep you amused, a picture of yesterdays modeling exhibition in Stuttgart Germany:

Alex, Joachim and myself enjoying ourselves with nice chats at the booth of the Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau (Workgroup for historical Shipbuilding)

800_Dreierpack_1085.jpg

Alex:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/410-hms-sphynx-by-alex-m-scale-148-english-20-gun-frigate-as-build-1775/

Joachim:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/?hl=amerigo

Cheers and enjoy as we did, Daniel

Herewego, Dr. dafistein coming straight from his lab ...

... breaking little bones of little people ...

Victory_Frankenstein_1501.jpg

... and reassembled, on the right, the poor lad before being transformed ...

800_Victory_guncrew_0842.jpg

... in his new life as gun captain, holding a leather bag against the vent  to air seal it, for that no smoldering ashes is pushed upwards, while the barrel is sponged.

800_Victory_guncrew_0848.jpg

Two of the Misters got funny tails ...

800_Victory_guncrew_1002.jpg

... a bit of paint applied ...

800_Victory_guncrew_0991.jpg

.... and the crew is complete :-)

The lieutenant, the gun captain, loader 2 with the bullet, sponger 2 with the wad pads, powdermonkee, the marine (at ease, the crossbelts off and the button opened). Sponger and loader are already at their place, waiting for the rest of the gang, the second gun captain and the 7 auxiliaries to pull the strings ...

800_Victory_guncrew_0977.jpg

800_Victory_guncrew_1100.jpg

Cheers, Daniel

Let the show go on :-)

The full crew was up to 14 men for both guns on each side of the ship. Strictly numbered, 1 gun captain, 2 second gun captain, 3 loader, 4 sponger, 5 sec. loader, 6 sec. sponger and 7 - 14 auxiliaries to pull the strings.

First picture for clarity without the auxs. One can see nicely, loader and sponger within the breeching ropes, sec. sponger and sec. outside bringing the next items as wad pads or balls. The gun captain is pressing a small leather bag against the vent, for that it is air sealed, for that no smoldering ashes are pressed by air pressure into the vent and that for by retrieving the sponge a vacuum is created that will put off all smoldering bits.

The second gun captain is here shown organising the tools like worm and the bars, his time will come, if he has to take halve of the crew to work the opposite gun if battle on both sides is required.

As one lieutenant was always taking charge of several big guns, Lt. Williams of course is present here at this excercising the great guns.  

800_Victory_guncrew_1546.jpg

And it gets really packed, once the auxiliaries are added to pull the strings

800_Victory_guncrew_1111.jpg

Also nice to be seen is that sec. loader and sec. sponger have to stand outside the side tackles. Also see the stick of the sponge protruding largely outboard.

On the capstan one can see the powder monkee, having prepared already the next cartridge. He is supposed to stay as far as possible for security reasons and to only handle the cartridge to the loaders and to nobody else. Also this was not a job for jung boys as generally thought, in fact Captain Duff of the Mars strictly forbid this as his log states. For the boys was to clean loose powder with a wet swab.

I like the two marines that were stationed on each big gun, gives a nice touch of color :-)

And also if I was a sponger and loader, I really would look out for that the man on the back tackle had a good lunch and that he makes sure, that there are no 3.5 tons coming towards oneself if a big wave is moving the ship ...

Some more pics to enjoy ...

800_Victory_guncrew_1564.jpg

800_Victory_guncrew_1118.jpg

800_Victory_guncrew_1110.jpg

800_Victory_guncrew_1114.jpg

... or a bit more inside the melée :-)

800_Victory_guncrew_1579.jpg

800_Victory_guncrew_1574.jpg

800_Victory_guncrew_1566.jpg

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

Wonderful Daniel just wonderful. It is hard to imagine what it must have been like on this gundeck with 15 x 32 pounders firing during an action. A medieval vision of hell comes to mind :o  

regards,

Dave :dancetl6:

all I can say .......is congrats Daniel!  you've recreated something that many have wondered so much about............imagine if all the cannons were in operation........thick in the heat of battle.    that deck would be swarming with people!   very nice work!

Hi Daniel

Love your crew in there action poses all painted up, they sure look real, Great job, keep the pictures coming,  Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

Thank you very much Sirs!

While preparing the next input, just to keep you amused, a picture of yesterdays modeling exhibition in Stuttgart Germany:

Alex, Joachim and myself enjoying ourselves with nice chats at the booth of the Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau (Workgroup for historical Shipbuilding)

800_Dreierpack_1085.jpg

Alex:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/410-hms-sphynx-by-alex-m-scale-148-english-20-gun-frigate-as-build-1775/

Joachim:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/?hl=amerigo

Cheers and enjoy as we did, Daniel

Hi Daniel

Great picture of you and your friends at the model show, I am just not sure but I think you are the fellow on the left, am I correct. Enjoy.

Regards Lawrence

Hi Daniel

Great picture of you and your friends at the model show, I am just not sure but I think you are the fellow on the left, am I correct. Enjoy.

Regards Lawrence

I'm putting my money on the gentleman to the right...   There's a look in his eye... :)

And the winner is ...

... Mark - you got the point!

And Dave and Popeye off course  :-) :-) :-)

I hope you still will talk to me Lawrence ;-)

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

800_Victory_guncrew_0842.jpg

... in his new life as gun captain, holding a leather bag against the vent  to air seal it, for that no smoldering ashes is pushed upwards, while the barrel is sponged.

800_Victory_guncrew_0848.jpg

Sometimes, if one knows what to look for, one can identify the bits easily. I first discovered the leather protection to seal the vent in the literature, but when closely looking at several live fire films, one can detect it even in use, here is one example of that :-)

Canon LIVE FIRE test - 18th century canister shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMILWzE9f0k

Nice to see the loading, at 0:37 the leather protection on the finger, picking the cartridge through the vent, putting the powder onto the vent, the slow process of ignition down to the charge and a relatively minor recoil. Also nice to be seen in the slow motion the remains of cartridge and wad flying out, always a hazard to the wooden ships.

post-182-0-95975200-1385579221_thumb.jpg

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

Hi Daniel

Looks like I was wrong picking you out of the fun picture, I was trying to remember that distorted picture you posted some time ago, not to worry, it's is all just in fun,  Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

Hi Daniel

Great detail on your gun crews, I may even try to use a bit of your great detail in my build, if that is ok with you and that is if I can even come close to your great skills.  Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

... if that is ok with you ...

... have to think about that ...

*think*

*think*

*think*

*enlightment*

... of course! You are welcome, what a question :-)

Cheers and thanks, Daniel

Edited by dafi

sorry Dafi - just catching up, those photo of the gun crews are brilliant - people also need to remember that there is not a lot of room in there and another gun crew would be right next to them doing exactly the same procedure, must have been hell, especially if in rolling seas in battle conditions

both my builds are to one side at present, as i am doing another project - which is non ship related - but does involve a kit, in fact it is some warhammer scenery i am doing to improve my painting skills,

Hope you are well

kevin

Hi Daniel

I want to thank you for all your help over the year and My Admiral and I want to wish you and your family a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New year,   Enjoy.

Regards   Lawrence

Yeah some are stuck for a fortnight in the ice of the Antarctica, but nobody tells about dafi, being confined for 3 weeks in the austrian mountains, far off his beloved ship yard ...

But also the mountains sometimes surprise with maritime content, as to be seen with the SMS Trinkstein ...

Also this time dafi had his maritime moments and that was not surprising ;-)

There in the deepest valley, where the sun refused to shine, there she was lost, the proud Stixtenstein, lost long ago in the dark days of lost tales, lost in the rigid hardness of the towering mountains beside, just in the wake of the safe harbour of the fortress. Deeply sunken into the elements only the topgallant of her once sky scraping proud masts still was greeting the sea-farers ...

... and of course, dafi had to follow immediately his primal instincts, sending himself aloft ...

Austria-140103_1547.jpg

... and putting in two reefs of clouds to make the sun shine again :-)

Austria-140103_1545.jpg

And now greeting happily as dafi finally learned, that there is no problem to climb up overhanging ratlines like the futtock shrouds and wishes a happy 2014 to everyone!!!

Edited by dafi

May you soon be out of the mountains and back in the safety of your shipyard.   Will there be an attempt to raise the Stixtenstein?????

Hi Daniel

I am glad that you have survived your mountain training trip vacation and that you are back in your shop yard again, so I will be expecting some more of your great pictures,   Enjoy.

Regards    Lawrence 

Papa got a brand new toy :-)

Until now I used a low-cost-solution: 7 Euro from the supermarket 3 dioptrien with LED!

Victory_glasses.jpg

But then the fam saw me  looking at those magnifiying glases at the optitian ...

... and surprise!

Got them for X-Mess :-)

Victory-140112_1582.jpg

Restartet doing some micro-surgery ...

Victory-140112_1580.jpg

... and therfore: Big Grin !!!

Victory-140112_2.jpg

With 130 Euro a bit more expensive then my old one, but much more comfortable than the ones that go around the head, almost no weight, no destroyed hairdo and to be worn over the normal glases and better vision than my cheap glases.

Cheers, Daniel