HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

Thank you Mark and Popeye!

I will put some further remarks*** and details over there ...

It is getting tighter ...

Victory-140508_3341.jpg

XXXDAn

*** sorry MArk, no pun intended ;-)

Edited by dafi

Daniel,

I believe Henry has your answer.  I was going to dig out Lee's in a bit, but Steel is pretty definitive.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I already digged the usual suspects and will soon give an account :-)

XXXDAn

Other question:

I see that you rig the tackle of the backstay startting from the upper block, resulting in the running end going upwards were you belay it tot the backstay. Istn't that a bid uneasy when using: it would seem to me that strarting from the lower block results in a tackle for whcih the runnin gpart goes downward and can be secured at deck level of on the lower block.... 

(or isn't it the backstay tackle?)

Jan

Yes it is the tackle :-)

I fixed as shown in McKay and Marquardt with the double block on the channels. The running end is shown in both going away horizontally. Could make sense if the tackle was shorter, because then there is no way of pulling the running end down effectively. 

In Portsmouth those tackles are quite long. And it appears to me that this one was hauled tight and then secured on the top, but could not make it up for shure. What other posible places to belay the running end could there be? Foot of an deadeye?

The only one I saw with the running end coming down from the top was Petersson (but with two single blocks).

XXXDAn

I finally found the detail:

post-182-0-29164300-1399883254_thumb.jpg

They took the running end up, through the loop over the deadeye and down again. Is this normal?

Look at the small lashings.

Cheers, DAniel 

Edited by dafi

ROFL 

:-)

Hy Jan, you are talking to a professional landlubber!

XXXDAn

Slowly but steadily: it is getting tighter up there :-)

Victory-140517_3436.jpg

And please enjoy the exquisite collection of clamps ... 

Victory-140517_3437.jpg

XXXDAn

Dafi - yr work never fails to amaze me

well done

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks Kev!

Here coms the good night goody ...

... changed the orientation of the z-twist-ropes, used the heavy tools to fiddle the bits as ship shape as possible ...

Victory-140517_3457.jpg

... got happy about the results ...

Victory-140517_3464.jpg

... and my favorite picture of the day :-)

Victory-140517_3442.jpg

XXXDAn

top notch work Daniel.........you do know that the weather is getting better......the misses will want her clothes pins back  :)  you never fail to surprise though.....I like the way you rigged them.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

... the hardest still comes ...

... cleaning the pegs before I have to give them back ;-)

Admiral´s orders ...

XXXDAn

don't feel bad.......I have the same problem :D    I haven't  'rigged'  the lines yet ;)   there's still time.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

... YES I confess I stole them ...

... and have to give them back ...

... the good thing is, the order did miss the date of return ;-)

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

And off we go ...

Victory-140518_3470.jpg

... trying ratlines in different sizes and colors.

Victory-140518_3471.jpg

Seen by scale, the one in the middle it should be. But done out of 2 x Caenis 20/0 it is a bit too stiff for the job and only available in deepest black.

Underneath for comparison my usual 4-thread- 8/0 yarn, good to mix color and great to put in form, but too thick for my taste.

The two lines on top are 2-thread-8/0and fits much better size wise, ok to fit but more restricted color wise.

Still having the old discussion in my ear about the tarred ratlines, I believe most of them are either to dark or too light, I would personally expect in this case a much lighter brown from the stockholm tar. Already my shrouds have a dark brown touch for that reason, the lines should be more light.

So still have to try a bit to get the right tan ...

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

• 2 weeks later...
Continued my small bric-brac and made 2 more colour trials on the top ...

Victory-140527_3476.jpg

... finally was able to use my new clamps ...

Victory-140527_3486.jpg

... and finished the first two big dead eyes.

Victory-140527_3492.jpg

Ship shape und Bristol fashion enough for the scale?

Cheers, Daniel

nicely done Daniel.........I know others have asked......do you have a catalog or booklet you send out?   really like to see a price list on some of this wonderful etch!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thank you Popeye :-)

Here is a site with all the etches I did so far

http://www.dafinismus.de/plates_en.html

Those clamps are part of the new Plate 7, that I revised. The old version is to be seen here:

... more ...

New pictures of this plate will come soon, as the official release will be this weekend.

The new version has shorter hooks, small eyebolts refined and the clamps with the foot as seen on the picture.

For the details go to the order-page:

http://www.dafinismus.de/order.html

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

Dafi - those ratlines look fantastic.  I've always felt that the line used for ratlines is typically too large, your photos show a real contrast in the sizes which looks very realistic. 

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thank you Jason,

now just remains the question of the colour ...

... in last case I throw the dice ...

XXXDAn

consider it bookmarked.....thank you !    they look great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

And of course, who did the diabolic 666th entry - myself :-)

Just realised, thanks you all for watching!

XXXDAn

gotta love the man and his demon  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

There is the easy road and there is dafi`s way ...

... could have adjusted the clamps so easily before putting the shrouds in place ...

... so had to fiddle the eleven clamps in on the display ...

... to make it sufficiently hard, I too replaced the first two ones by the smaller size ...

Victory-140528_3498.jpg

... easy way - kiddies way ...

... I´m no kiddy!

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

New pictures of this plate will come soon, as the official release will be this weekend.

The new version has shorter hooks, small eyebolts refined and the clamps with the foot as seen on the picture.

oh.. goodie.. this weekend!!!  <rubs hands together and gets HMS Visa ready><maniacal laughter><Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D-Minor rising in the background>

Obligatory musical interlude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho9rZjlsyYY

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Today we have fathers day in Germany. This means, all man and fathers (the ones to be included) take a small hay cart and 3 dozen bottles of beer (for each person) and stroll off into the wild to get comfortably numb.

I love fathers day :-)

And this year dafi alone at home, so I take my small hay cart and stroll with my 3 dozen bottles of beer from one room of the flat into the next.

That´s why I love fathers day :-)

Also I claimed my fathers day present: A hair clamp that I shortened so it is less heavy and less lever action is taking it´s toll.

Victory-140529_3517.jpg

The foremost shroud is served but unlike the Vic in P. the serving stops atop the deadeye so it fits better the literature.

Victory-140529_3547.jpg

The clamps are fixed with a drop of CA and then bound with fly fishing yarn.

Victory-140529_3533.jpg

And here I have a small stage win :-)

Victory-140529_3531.jpg

Victory-140529_3525.jpg

Cheers, Daniel

Your Good Greatious, mylord Dubz :-)

And, do they fit?

XXXDAn