HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

... my thinking Jan, exactly my thinking ...

XXXDAn

Thank you Sirs, very appreciated!

And before the admiralty kills the buoy believing it is a cockroach with hairy legs I prefered fixing it fast :-)

Victory-140706_4746.jpg

There it hangs on the shrouds ...

Victory-140706_4763.jpg

... the ropes in nice turns ...

Victory-140706_4752.jpg

... under the influence of modelmakers gravity ...

Victory-140706_4756.jpg

... down to where it is fixed on the anchor.

Victory-140706_4768.jpg

And lucky too I was, luckily :-)

When I made the buoy I just guessed its size using pictures of the Vic in P. and gave it 1,5 m. Then got panic and searched through the literature which would be the correct size. Took a while until I found in Lee, that it should be a quarter of the shaft´s length. Hastily measured the anchor - 60 mm so my 15 mm are just about fine :-)

Cheers, Daniel

...okokok...

... they got me, better saying my natural laziness :-)

Was hard enough to put the lanyards around the buoy so I used plain rope ...

... even though I knew better that it was meant to be served.

So they got me ...

Victory-140709_4789.jpg

... but I covered the rope with several coats of diluted white glue and splashed some black paint onto it. Perfect for the scale and thickness of the rope :-)

Still discussing the color of the buoy rope: The Vic in P. shows light rope and also plenty of contemporary models do ...

... but also plenty show dark ropes.

Also in the literature plenty of hints of serving the buoys lanyards, but no mentioning of tarring the buoy rope ...

... but still have luckily the time to research for the big model that´s why I do it :-)

Cheers, Daniel

Some more weekend tinkering.

First a small sweet part, a new tie for my little shipyard worker?

Victory-140711_4922.jpg

No a small loop for the surplus rope on the clamp behind the shroud :-)

Victory-140711_4924.jpg

The other ones were left a tad longer. But it was a tough job to place them behind the ratlines.

Victory-140711_4926.jpg

And here the new lashing of the stream anchor 2.0

Victory-140712_4937.jpg

If one looks long enough, then suddenly:  Lavery´s Arming and Fitting page 55, and this makes much more sense. The stream anchor sits neatly arm on arm, can´t rotate, easy to lash and even clears the gun port :-)

Victory-140712_4942.jpg

Victory-140712_4947.jpg

Grüßle, Daniel

Edited by dafi

Sometimes, it's the small things that are best... Great work on the lashings and anchors. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Merci Mark!

Cheers, Daniel

great work Daniel.......the small details makes it look even better! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Today was girls-out-day :-)

My sweet little Vic was seeing her big cousin Royal William from kay.

Also Edgar the ship´s cat found its way to join the meeting :-)

Victory-Madelstreffen_5117.jpg

Also both proud dads ...

Victory-Madelstreffen_5115.jpg

... were well prepared :-) :-) :-)

Victory-Madelstreffen_5116.jpg

And then also came Robert*** to join the party ...

Victory-Madelstreffen_5120.jpg

... envy and grudge started to take its toll ...

Victory-Madelstreffen_5119.jpg

... and a hard carnage about the meet started ...

Victory-Madelstreffen_5118.jpg

... just luckily there was enough for everybody in the end ;-)

Thanks @kay and @Tarjack

Truely yours dafi

*** See also Robert Volk and Peter Davies-Garner book in German:
Edited by dafi

I'm assuming that bloodshed was minimal and a great time was had???  So much talent in one place... :o

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The bloodshed was minimal - at least among the rabbits in the small house in the background of the pictures ;-)

XXXDAn

• 2 weeks later...

hello my friend - how Dafi?

i would like the upper gun deck on my Victory in a Secured from action diorama, do you have any info on if and how the upper gun deck had the cannons lined up fwd to aft, and how or where they were situated, i don't think i have actually seen this though your work

i want to have more available room on the upper deck

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello Kevin,

the guns that do not have a gun port lid are lashed in a run-out position as far as I know, as seen today on the V. in P.

The guns in the cabins are usually secured alongside the bords fwd/aft, the other ones most possibly the usual way pointing upwards.

Does this help?

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

thanks Daniel

i was hoping to run all mine on the upper deck fwd to aft, but it appears that i have no option now other than to play the game and just rig them in the secured position,

this is all because i wanted the build in a sail past diorama setting,, hence the gun port lids in a venting position , when all the cloth is set including stuns  very little will be seen anyway, 

thanks for getting back to me

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

That´s what I started in the lower deck :-)

It is nice, to look through but not having the guns run out like most of the builds. It also gives nice look-throughs with the open ports on the other side.

I like the idea that in the upper deck three different ways of lashing the guns has to be shown one beside the other :-)

Cheers, Daniel

• 3 weeks later...
So after a couple of weeks I found time for the shipyard ...

*blowingawaythedust*

... what did I find ???

Victory-140712_4937.jpg

And everything started in such a nice and easy mood ...

*gettingwetmouthbyrememberingallthedeliciousthings*

Victory-Madelstreffen_5118b.jpg

... but dark clouds started to gather on the horizon!

A certain Monsieur R. V. from A.*** already started to moan about the buoy before the meeting *lookingforthedevilsmily*

(For legal reasons we blended out his face with a red square.)

Buoy ropes should be tarred and not à la natüre and the buoy slings be smarted ...

... also the lenght of the buoy rope was questioned ...

... and-and-and ...

Back at home same procedure as usual ...

Victory-Madelstreffen_2766.jpg

... first the buoy rope tarred - not to dark - and about 20 fathoms long and thickness a third of the anchor cable - a heavy tool needed to break free the bower from the ground.

Then tarred the slings with white glue and black paint to make disappear the gaps to look like the right one ...

Victory-140727_5176.jpg

... but at least the fingers looked spectacular ...

Victory-140727_5175.jpg

... and then my misinterpretation - the buoy itself à la natüre and not tarred ...

Victory-140726_5171.jpg

... and V2 goes down the drains :-)

Then the discussion goes on about the thickness of the slings: Usually the slings and lanyards have half or a third of the superior rope´s diameter.

So new slings done, 1/3 of the anchor cable and 1/3 of the buoy rope ...

Victory-140727_5177.jpg  

... looks ridiculous :-(

Got it, the slings are not to transmit force its just to hold the buoy. Ok, discard V3.

By then Bernd showed a nice version in our german forum http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/t717f368-HMS-Pandora-scratch-11.html#msg44816

... that brought me back to the testing grounds :-)

V4 was another try with slings of white glue, thick black paint and brown casein paint ...

... but realised half way that they represnt much more a rubber duck than a buoy slings ...

... that is why I stopped and  ...

... to be continued :-)

The best results I usually got if was as near to the original as posible. So I went to try out the real serving. But as the real thin ropes proved to be to be to thin for the serving mashine I used copper wire.

Took one of my two colored ropes ...

Victory-140822_5535.jpg

... enjoyed the fancy effects ;-)

So another try with two single untwisted threads - black and brown - to get the wanted color effect, the wire was first blackened with Edding ...

Victory-140822_5530.jpg

... and bingo - here we go :-)

Another comparison in between the fake white glue version and the real served one.

Victory-140822_5543.jpg

Used V4 and the fancy colored rope to try the fixing of the slings and it proves to work far better than the rubber version seen of the bottom :-)

Victory-140822_5537.jpg

Made my now famous bacteriophage ...

Victory-140822_5546.jpg

... looks already creepy ...

Victory-140822_5549.jpg

... but this full-sucked tick, that will be V5 ;-)

Victory-140822_5552.jpg

Placed in its place ...

Victory-140823_5571.jpg

Victory-140823_5565.jpg

Victory-140823_5578.jpg

And what will remain? Only the memory remains ... of V1 up to V4 ...

Victory-140823_5564.jpg

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

Dafi,

Fascinating work - no doubt I will be trying to copy this in the near future. :)

I noted the black fingers. If ever I get blackened fingers I seem to reinvent the printing press producing nice black fingerprints everywhere (especially where they are not wanted). :o

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Daniel,

Very nice project...."This time started quite easily with a large scale model of a bacteriophage on a 0,5 mm drill" ...  Funny, I had to actually Google that word. Yes there is a resemblance isn't there.  

Cheers

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Dafi... I'm sure I've said this before , but I'll say it again....... your work is just outstanding!! in every respect, and your presentation

is most entertaining.    Thanks again for posting your talents for all to enjoy!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Daniel,

As always... amazing in detail and accuracy. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

glad this didn't result in a food fight! :D really nice work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Ian, Foxy, Michael, Hypo, Frank, Mark and Popeye, thank you for your kind words, you are very indulgent :-)

It was a fair fight - I got more sausages than Robert - so he HAD to take revenge on the buoy ...

... but to be correct, there is still room for improvement until I do the real thing on my Vic ...

... the two round loops top and bottom should be a tad more towards the middle, the buoy could possibly slide out sideways through the gap in the middle ...

... the knot to fix the buoy rope on the buoy is still to be defined properly. I had to cheat by useing a bowline knot as the bottom eye of the buoy was to small to do two rounds for the intended anchor bend ...

XXXDAn

PS: But hihihihihihihihihi...

... Robert slipped his tongue ...

... he admitted that his model of the french 74 in the Deutsche Museum München has untarred buoy ropes ...

... what a beginner he is ...

...hihihihihihihihi...

;-)-

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/collections/transport/maritime-exhibition/

Edited by dafi

Alle Jahre wieder (Every year again), also known as "every decade the dafi manages to finish something" ...

Victory-140830_5762.jpg

... my small slice of in between meal is served  ...

Victory-140830_5709.jpg

... and lives ...

Victory-140830_5691.jpg

... while you can hear the chant "By the deep 17" ...

Victory-140830_5716.jpg

... the lieutenant and his midi are listening carefully ...

Victory-140830_5724.jpg

... and whisper it further with the speaking trumpet.

In the same time the crew ...

Victory-140830_5717.jpg

... with her own calm ...

Victory-140830_5720.jpg

... and sangfroid ...

Victory-140830_5725.jpg

... brings up a new rope.

Victory-140830_5726.jpg

And as the story was so great, here the whole picture :-)

Victory-140830_5696.jpg

Now only missing a new passe-partout and some good pictures,

cheers, enjoy and have fun, the dafi

Very nice Dafi and very educational.

Are you going to turn your attention back to the complete Victory? Looking forward to that.

Edited by ianmajor

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Thank you Ian and Popeye,

me too, looking forward for the whole cake ;-)

Cheese-chokolate-layers, yummy :-)

XXXDAn