dafi

HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

Univers played crazy - it concentrated lust, leisure and time in one single small space and as this happened to be my tinkering corner there was no more way to say no ...

I was busy for quite a while understanding the real construction of the fighting tops and researching the relating measures in between mast and topmast and so on. Found the Heller parts in acceptable tolerances so made up a plastic dummy to set things straight for a wooden replacement later on.

A long missing piece for the puzzle was the small wooden chock, that sets the distance on the lower end of the topmast and defines the distance from the mast head to the topmast. Difficult to spot in the plans, not easy to spot it in the descriptions as it was too easy as a solution ...

Victory-170930_6482.jpg

So I shortened the rubbing paunch to fit in the chock, shortened the bolsters in the front side, detailed the main cap ...

Victory-170930_6526.jpg

... build in the sheaves, the fid and the iron loop ...

Victory-170930_6527.jpg

... and also worked the top.

Victory-170930_6519.jpg

Nice to see the chock that sets the distance and the rake of the topmast.

Victory-170930_6490.jpg

The main cap got its splitlines.

Victory-170930_6515.jpg

Another question arose: The cleat for the jeer block lashing are shown in Portsmouth as a clamp, but most of the literature shows a shoulder piece. What is the correct setup?

Victory-170930_6498.jpg

Here both of them together for comparison ...

Victory-170930_6503.jpg

... and here the shoulder its the right place.

Victory-170930_6508.jpg

Then made he functional tryouts ...

Victory-170930_6530.jpg

... pushing the topmast through the trestletrees ...

Victory-170930_6534.jpg

... placed the fid ...

Victory-170930_6513.jpg

... and fits :-)

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

I hopscotched through another member's (who had visited my build) history log and found your highly intriguing build of the Heller Victory.  I so like the excellent modifications and scratch-work on this main top, that I'm going to go back and read through your whole log.  It seems that much of what you are doing might be really helpful to me, even if we are building in different centuries.

So nice to see such excellent, clean work.  I'm looking forward to catching up!

Thank you folks!

Some more remarks/questions:

- Lee writes on page 56, that the top mast pendants were unrove after the mast was topped. Does this mean that before that date the topmast pendants stayed in place?

- Lee writes and contemporary drawings show that the port side pendant went through the lower sheave.

- According to Lee large ships - like Vic - had tripple blocks lashed to the pendants instead of the usual double blocks.

- In the pictures is shown a top made of two halves as by Admiralty order from 1802. (Just a splitline in the middle missing as I saw in my pictures). That is why there is not the usual axial pattern of the rips, but a version according to Lee, Nares and Brady.

- the octogonal heel does not necessitate a groove for the pendant as there is enough space to move freely.

- the bolsters of the lift blocks on the cap need to be pushed more forward, as they need to be wrapped around the cap and collide with the mast head in this setup.

- still to be confirmed the octogonal heeling and the jeer clamps.

XXXDan

Edited by dafi

It is my understanding that the top rope was always unrove once the top mast was hoisted and fidded into place.  The end of the top rope had a hook spliced in and the top rope blocks were stropped with a hook in order to facilitate them being sent down.

Regards,

Edited by popeye2sea

Okay Daniel, I'm only on page 3 of your build log - and I'm going to stop hitting the like button, so that you are inot completely innundated with notifications, but...

I am completely BLOWN AWAY by your attention to detail and your willingness to re-work the smallest details until they are RIGHT.

My German half is crying meticulous tears of joy!

Gonna keep reading

Edited by Hubac'sHistorian

Beautiful work Dafi, one thing I've always been curious about was the purpose of the yellow 'pillar' at the front of the topmast between the top and the cap.  doesn't really seem substantial enough to perform a significant purpose and I haven't seen similar examples on other ships.  Only thing I can think of is to provide a little additional support to the front of the mast when the weight of the topmast is .being hoisted - maybe similar to the use of a triple block on large ships vs a double.

You got it Jason :-)

But not only while being hoisted, also once the topmast is in place, there is nothing else that helps counteracting the weight, as the topmast is not linked/fixed to the main cap.

XXXDAn

The fid is sufficient to take the weight of the entire rig above the partners! It seams impossible but this is the mechanism that does all the work of holding that load. once the fid is put in place, the weight of the Topmast is settled onto it by easing the top rope and from this point on you don't need the toprope in the rig, its performing no function. In fact, if you leave the toprope in place, it only suffers weathering and deterioration. Topropes are carefully labeled and carefully stored and they are never allowed to be used for any other jobs onboard, the point being that all possible measures are taken to make sure this line will never be weakened or compromised. Few lines in the rig are as crucial when they are in use. A toprope that parts can cause the sinking of the ship when the Topmast arrows down through the deck like a giant battering ram.

Daniel,Jason,

That item is called the Cap Shore. It was fitted to take the strain of the weight of the forward overhang of the Cap from the shoulders of the Mast Tenon. It was tenoned into both the Cap and the Top and was usually only fitted on 1st and 2nd rate ships.

Dave :dancetl6:

Hi Daniel,

One question about the guns:. The scale of the barrels looks really good.  While I have this kit, it's siting in a basement in PA and I can't readily look at it.  Are these the stock cannons, or did you make/buy something closer to scale?

One of my issues with Heller's Soleil Royal is that the muzzle/barrel width, and bore diameter are too narrow and spindly looking.  I will have to do something about this, and am searching for a way to perhaps recycle the kit's stock barrels by, perhaps, dipping them several times in some sort of resin, in order to increase their breadth.  I could then drill out the appropriate bore diameters.  I am wondering your thoughts on this subject.

thanks,

Marc

Hy Marc, the barrels from Victory are the original ones from the kit, just some etch added. The Heller kit often surprises me, as many parts are quite close to the original. Most actions necessary come from the limitations in making the moulds some 40 to 50 years ago. Here is a link to the instructions of the etch parts that deal with the guns:

http://www.dafinismus.de/bilder/Platinen_ab_2015/Etch_Victory_en_5_V12.pdf

http://www.dafinismus.de/bilder/Platinen_ab_2015/Etch_Victory_en_4_V12.pdf

http://www.dafinismus.de/bilder/Platinen_ab_2015/Etch_Victory_en_7_V12.pdf

But even the Soleil guns look much better if some simple modifications are done: replace the trunnions and the axels and bore the hole for the breech into the carriages´sides. In the back the original, in the front the pimped version.

800_soleil-cannons_0653.JPG]

Edited by dafi

Thanks Daniel!  As far as Soleil is concerned, the shame of it is that they do an incredible job of copying the ornamental details from one of the existing original cannons, but as I say, they do not capture the appropriate sense of girth that is so evident in every Van de Velde portrait ever drawn.

For carriage and rig updates to the guns, I am looking very closely at Popeye2Sea's excellent build log.  His carriages look amazing.

I'll have to look at those links for photo etch; thank you for the info.

Hi Dafi, I don't remember you saying how you were ultimately going to be 'finishing' the overall model.  Are you going to leave some part of the decks open, or will the live action scenes be lost to photographic record?  Looking awesome, but that goes without saying :-)

Hello Thomas

most of the figures date from mid 2015, see here for an example Film Crew

@Jason, for the rest, nothing is decided yet :-)

And Dave, no need to be sorry, that is one of the companion ways, situated in the middle.

XXXDAn