HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

looks like you had a lot of fun........some very nice eye candy there ;)  thanks for sharing !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

No, this is no broadside ...

Victory-140306_2390.jpg

... nor fire alarm ...

Victory-140306_2389.jpg

... only ...

Victory-140306_2409.jpg

... one of the easiest ways to prevent things falling inside of the ship. Cheap, easily placed, easily taken out without danger for paint or flimsy details :-)

Cheers, Daniel

... only wanted to do a cast from the figure head ...

Victory-140317_2689.jpg

... but after taking down the form, I was wondering about the itzy-bitzy-teeny-weeny letters in the casting form ...

... grrrrrrr...

XXXDAn

Oooh! That can't be good Daniel - but I'm certain you will have a fix in mind! ;)

Thank you all :-)

@Dubz

The hooks next generation are already on the way, rest is in preparation :-)

Cheers, DAniel

I wouldn't hit the like button on that with a ten foot pole!  sorry to see that Daniel........if anything came from that,  it show us how little glue you used on them {shrug}.  it does peak my interest as to why your doing the casting........resin parts perhaps?  ;)  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

That casting was not planned ...

The letters where just fixed with clear varnish, that allows good positioning and leaves almost no trace. 

As I still opt for the 1920 Vic, I thought it could save me some work, as the figure head was already heavily overworked compared to oob.

Cheers, Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes, yes sometimes I love my employees ...

... they were meant to buy new tea for the office - guess what brand they brought especially for me :-)

post-182-0-28535600-1395945096_thumb.jpg

...hihihihihihi...

XXXDAn

Did anyone play "Rule Britannia" while giving you the tea??? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Aye, Aye, sir! post-76-0-73676800-1396071709.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Aussie, very appreciated :-)

Hy Lawrence, it is a berry flavor, good for working!

Aye Mark, finally one that understands, I think I should change the code book in the office - perhaps the official book of the Cat of nine Tails would work better.

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

All the time :-)

... to understand the others and for me to be understood ...

XXXDAn

Some seek understanding.  Some seek illumination.  I seek the Holy Grail:

Bridgekeeper: Stop. Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.

Sir Lancelot: Ask me the questions, bridgekeeper. I am not afraid.

Bridgekeeper: What... is your name?

Sir Lancelot: My name is Sir Lancelot of Camelot.

Bridgekeeper: What... is your quest?

Sir Lancelot: To seek the Holy Grail.

Bridgekeeper: What... is your favourite colour?

Sir Lancelot: Blue.

Bridgekeeper: Go on. Off you go.

Sir Lancelot: Oh, thank you. Thank you very much.

Sir Robin: That's easy.

Bridgekeeper: Stop. Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.

Sir Robin: Ask me the questions, bridgekeeper. I'm not afraid.

Bridgekeeper: What... is your name?

Sir Robin: Sir Robin of Camelot.

Sir Robin: To seek the Holy Grail.

Bridgekeeper: What... is the capital of Assyria?

[pause]

Sir Robin: I don't know that.

[he is thrown over the edge into the volcano]

Sir Robin: Auuuuuuuugh.

Bridgekeeper: Stop. What... is your name?

Galahad: Sir Galahad of Camelot.

Galahad: I seek the Grail.

Bridgekeeper: What... is your favourite colour?

Galahad: Blue. No, yel...

[he is also thrown over the edge]

Galahad: auuuuuuuugh.

Bridgekeeper: Hee hee heh. Stop. What... is your name?

King Arthur: It is 'Arthur', King of the Britons.

King Arthur: To seek the Holy Grail.

Bridgekeeper: What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

King Arthur: What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

Bridgekeeper: Huh? I... I don't know that.

[he is thrown over]

Bridgekeeper: Auuuuuuuugh.

Sir Bedevere: How do know so much about swallows?

King Arthur: Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

:-) :-) :-)

Thank you!

XXXDAn

@mtaylor

... was this from the DVD or the Blueray?

... auuuuuuuugh.

:-)

XXXDAn

Good question... I saw it in the theater when it came out and repeated endlessly on PBS here in the States. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I have the DVD..........a classic!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to update the assembly instructions for the resin parts that I provide for the 1:100 Vic:

Cheers, DAniel

Hi Daniel, I found your build log and have read every post religiously. Most impressed with your build. Your imagination and techniques are unbelieveable.  I am interested in obtaining a set of your photo etched parts for my own build. I live in the U.S. and wondered how to go about it. I have tried to contact you through your site but to no avail. If you could let me know how to proceed I would appreciate it. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Dennis

Hello Dennis,

thank you for your kind words.

Sorry to hear that your contact did not work, strange but here is the address: webshop@dafinismus.de

And yes, it would be a pleasure to provide you with parts :-)

I also send you a PM.

Cheers and thanks, Daniel

• 4 weeks later...
Finally - finally - finally!!!

Looks like you sensed the force growing Lawrence, I really found time for my sweety :-)

First some hanging trials for the anchor ...

Victory-140503_3269.jpg

... just to realised that it is the point and not the fluke resting in the shoe.

Then finally some rigging :-) 

*enjoy*

Prepared some deadeyes this time not using toothpicks but using thin battens from the draw plate ... 

Victory-140502_3262.jpg

... drilled and painted. Tried something new for the rigging procedure ...

Victory-140504_3273.jpg

... a round stick with the external diameter of the deadeye with a slot ...

Victory-140504_3280.jpg

... 4 times round and secured, taking down the ring ...

Victory-140504_3283.jpg

... and forced over the deadeye.

Victory-140504_3289.jpg

Then prepared a new template ...

Victory-140504_3294.jpg

... stuck the deadeye into the hole and clamped it ...

Victory-140504_3299.jpg

... and made the two seizings.

And what for ?!? Simply for that the last shroud does look good beside topgallant backstay, shifting backstay and royal backstay :-)

Victory-140504_3316.jpg 

And this is how it looks ...

Victory-140504_3331.jpg

Victory-140504_3324.jpg

Cheers, Daniel

wonderful update Daniel.......great idea on rigging!   makes my technique look like a monkey doing the  'mad passionate' to a football! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

After some lenghty but fruitful discussion in our german forum about the orientaion of the free end left or right, forth or aft we found that almost all literature shows it the way that it is displayed:

- for the cable-laid shrouds - Starboard pointing foreward, larboard aft :-)

- for plain- or hawser-laid shrouds - Starboard pointing aft, larboard foreward :-)

The opnly one showing it vica versa is Marquardt in his Eighteenth Century Rigs and Rigging, funnily, his other book Schoner in Nord und Süd shows it the "common" way.

Some other information coming the way was incorporated immediately
- Max. distance of the big deadeyes twice diameter
- Tackle about half the diameter of the shroud
- Shroud not too tight around the deadeye
- free end of the tackle passes through the gap of deadeye and shroud
- free end shorter

And here we go Mark 2:

before:
Victory-140504_3316.jpg

After 
Victory-140508_3335.jpg

Still have to clear and belay the tackles to look less messy :-)

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

Just added the difference inbetween cable-laid shrouds and plain- or hawser-laid shrouds in the entry upstairs :-)

This leads me to some further question:

- The top-mast shrouds were plain laid? This means the ends are pointing the other way than on the lower shrouds.

- The distance of twice diameter of the deadeye looks good on the lower shrouds lanyards. Is this applicable too for the topmast shrouds? There the distance usually looks much longer in comparison?

- When was the batten on top of shrouds introduced to maintain their orientation? Marquardt only makes a small remark in the picture section telling "about 1800".

- Was this also introduced for the topmast shrouds?

Cheers, Daniel

You ask some tough questions, sir.   ;)    I'd take your last two posts #637 and #640 and put them in the rigging section to ask the questions.  Might get a different set of eyes.   My simple answer is:  I have no idea.   Do you have Lee's Masting and Rigging book?  The answer might be in there.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: