HMS Victory by dafi - Heller - PLASTIC - To Victory and beyond ...

It took some doing to find the dialogue.    That's quite clever, Daniel.   I won't give it away.     :)  :)  :) :)    

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Miss fired again, maybe I ort to check the fire lock say's the master gunner.

No let me have another go say's the gun captain.

'Under his breath' say's the swabber, wish they would make up there minds, its near grog time.

foxy :piratebo5:

Edited by foxy

Dear Mark, clever trick from your side too ;-)

... heave ...

...heave ...

... heave ...

Five years of hard labour, the judge said to me,

or honorable service in His Majesty´s Navy.

... What did I pick? *censored*

... What are we doing in the Pacific anyway? I tell you, he´s got us lost.

... heave ...

... *the missing words* ...

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

Snappy dialog for 1951... At least the conversation wasn't:

Now, in fairness to all of you...
I'm honor bound to ask this question.
Is there anyone here who does not wish
to be a member of Her Majesty's Navy?
Me, sir.
Is there anyone else
who is reluctant to serve?
Right.
If, by chance, some of you may feel
that the discipline on this ship...
is a trifle on the harsh side of strict...
let me remind you that it is our duty
to seek out and destroy...
Her Majesty's enemies...

Give them a taste of the lash
before they've done anything.
- Preventive punishment, that's the principle.
- Yes, sir.

Hy Bob, perfect fit for the year!

HOT-HOT-HOT

Daniel

I didn't want to "Blow" anyone's chance to guess by posting more than the date...

The dialog I posted is from a different film-- let's just say "The holy grail" of sea movies...

YELLOWBEARD - that reminds me to see THAT holy grail again.

But still looking for THE other classic :-)

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

Bob: I simply LOVE it!

Heave!

(Quist:) Five years hard labor,

the judge says to me...

...or honorable service

in His Majesty's Navy.

What did I pick? Hornblower.

(Sailor:) What are we doing in the Pacific, anyway?

I tell you, he's got us all lost.

(Quist:) There's islands there

where we could have a picnic.

Brown-skinned girls, bread growing

on trees, where the Bounty went.

Why don't you ask Hornblower

to take us there?

What's wrong with our cargo

doing the asking?

Muskets and ammunition.

Who for? Why not for us?

Link: Look here at the still from about 3:00 min

Harrison: Come on, get on with your work. Get on with it.

Victory-carronade_3892.jpg

These are the things that makes a little dafi happy :-)

Dafiman_3901.jpg

XXXDAn
Edited by dafi

now .........THAT picture Daniel....really defines the scale!  :D  :D    sorry I didn't compete.......if it was about John Wayne though,  I'd 'ave had plenty!

super workmanship my friend!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

And the pressgang was in town ...

Victory-Crew-150328_9630.jpg

... and the first ones already had to report to duty ...

Victory-Crew-150331_9667.jpg

Victory-Crew-150331_9668.jpg

Victory-Crew-150331_9666.jpg

Victory-Crew-150331_9665.jpg

Victory-Crew-150331_9664.jpg

... dirty bastards ...

XXXDAn

Thank you Jan :-)

Being on holiday in Austria, I took the chance to give a little air to my sweet roundy one with the funny stripes and to visit some friends.

Of course first had to repair some battle damages ...

schad.jpg

... but then had some great fun discussing all things model making ...

erkl.jpg

... big, small ...

dio.jpg

... and medium sized.

trink.jpg

Also present was some happy metal aka armored vehicles ...

P1110388_zpsp4wihu6h.jpg

... from Walter - on the right side - and one of his wonderful planes ...

Re: M60A3 im UN-Einsatz (1:35 - Academy, DEF, Legend) - Kette 2. Versuch -

... and we had a sneak preview upon Karl´s magnificent 1:350 RJN Agaki ...

Puchivention-150402_9747.jpg

... with all the details front ...

Puchivention-150402_9759.jpg

... and back.

Puchivention-150402_9777.jpg

More from Karl tremendous work to be found here, even though in german, the pictures speak for themselves:  

Re: Japanischer Flugzeugträger AKAGI (Hasegawa, 1/350) - 28. Update

Re: Japanischer Flugzeugträger AKAGI (Hasegawa, 1/350) - 29. Update

Re: Das Titanicwrack - Teil 1: das Vorschiff (Minicraft, 1/350) - 39. Update- fertig

http://www.modellboard.net/index.php?topic=44814.0

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3406:tauchgang-zum-wrack-der-titanic-im-massstab-1350&catid=454:karl-kapelari

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

man........I wish I could see 'into' a build,  as well as you folks.........truly wonderful workmanship!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hiya some really great workmanship and with so much entertainment - Brilliant,    can i ask your oppinion please - can you recommend a deck paint for plastic that would replicate and show a good example of holystoned teak, i have seen weathered teak in real life A.K.A  - my outside garden bench, and it is a deffinate light grey in color.

Any tips as to what color paint i should get for this i would be delighted.

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hello OC,

thank you for the kind words. in my humble opinion, the best is always a priming with a pale brown or gray and then give a nic´ce wash with oil or casein paint.

As I am no expert in those technics, i Used real planking, just have a google. In this build and "by the deep 17" there is shown the casein paint for the hull.

XXXDAn

Hello OC,

thank you for the kind words. in my humble opinion, the best is always a priming with a pale brown or gray and then give a nic´ce wash with oil or casein paint.

As I am no expert in those technics, i Used real planking, just have a google. In this build and "by the deep 17" there is shown the casein paint for the hull.

XXXDAn

Many thanks for that,  it is for my 1/350 scale plastic HMS Warspite BB ship i have just brought,  she had teak decks that were regularly holystoned so i guess they would be very similar to HMS Victory's decks esp. when dry and faded, as they are plastic and of very good detail i am looking for a scale paint that is the right light shade for her.

OC

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

@Old Collingwood

I think all "simple" paints always will look flat. To get it alive the way you want, just try all different ways of aging and weathering that you can get hold on in the internet and see what suits best your skills and taste. Best is to get some cheap "test" hulls from the net and try yourself through the various technics, that is what I usually do :-)

Cheers, Daniel

It can be difficult to be on holidays with the small ones.

- Are we already there?

- I have to do pipi!

- I am Hungry!

- I am bored!

*bitchingaround*

But this has not to be like this! The trick is to get the small ones interested into the trip and get them enthusiastic about it. With a little bit of commitment it is not that tricky ...

... so I showed my small one the landcape ...

shipdad-150410_9971.jpg

...explained where I was the day before ...

shipdad-150410_9966.jpg

... and promised to take her there the day she will be big enough.

shipdad-150410_9967.jpg

Also zoos are a winner ...

shipdad-150410_9969.jpg

... she especially liked the two rheas.

Or just doing a bit of sport together ...

shipdad-150410_9978.jpg

... ping-pong was the favorite ...

... but the most important ...

shipdad-150410_9974.jpg

... was  ...

shipdad-150410_9976.jpg

... just to spend time together ...

shipdad-150410_9975.jpg

... telling stories ...

shipdad-150410_9977.jpg

... about god the universe and everything ...

shipdad-150410_9973.jpg

... and both of us already found a good and relaxing sleep together :-)

It is a tough and responsible job to be a good ship-dad, but I hope that I am on the right way, are you too?

Cheers, Daniel

Dafi......... You are a GREAT !!!! Dad.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

You are having way too much fun, if that's possible.   Carry on... I salute you.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I absolutely love it Daniel......they are our children.......they are:

spawned from imagination

born from ideas........and

Hatched from plans.........

not to mention the labor we put into them.......you must be a very proud Papa!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ok, back home, the small one is tired from the trip and sleeping already and I got already another helping more ...

victory-messenger_0081.jpg

victory-messenger_0082.jpg

... why that now ?!?!?

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

Not only the ship, but also the anchor cable needs some love, care and tenderness.

I already showed how the cable was meant to be laid out on the lower deck before letting the anchor go, how it was fastened by a whole variety of stoppers and how the messenger worked.

But now I was interested into all the diverse steps coming with that ...

First there were the 120 man on the capstan on the middle deck, easy to remember. Then there were over 60 in the orlop in the cable tier to arrange the sturdy, wet and heavy cable into a neat coil, those ones are easy to be forgotten. And on the forecastle a larger number was preparing the davits and the fishing of the anchor, also a quite relevant number of man.

But also on the lower gun deck there was quite a lot to be done.

So step by step, here is the overview:

victory-messenger_0153.jpg

Lets start at the capstan, overhead on the middle deck 120 man are turning it without danger of stumbling over some cables. As the anchor cable is too thick and sturdy to go around the capstan, a messenger cable is used as a link. And here we go with some man to guarantee smooth and undisturbed revolutions. 

Starting at the capstan we can see Mr Thor with HIS hammer, checking the messenger hitting the right place. Next three man are making sure that the messenger is leaving the drum without getting stuck.

victory-messenger_0167.jpg

Interesting are the heavy pillars with the rolls, protecting the pumps from the messenger.

The elm tree pump sucks seawater from underneath the hull and put it with pressure into sail cloth hose (witch will be seen still)

victory-messenger_0164.jpg

Left we see some men, that make sure, that the cable passes smoothly through the rolls hanging from the deck beams. As the messenger is a endless loop, it is linked by some ropes through the eyes. Two men make sure, the eyes pass through the rolls.

victory-messenger_0162.jpg

In the bow the cable shiftes direction by the help of the two rollers.

victory-messenger_0160.jpg

The manger is the place, where the hose ends. One man uses it to wetten the incoming anchor cable, two boys are scrubbing the mud off by the help of brushes. That is why there are two extra big scuppers at each side of the ship. If the cable had extra protection because of a stony sea bed, then this protection would have been taken off here too by some extra men.

victory-messenger_0159.jpg

Straight after the manger, some man are fixing messenger and anchor cable to each other, called nibbing. For that there are no open ends traveling through the ship, I positioned a man at each free end of the nibbing rope walking with it.

On the other side some men are bringing back the ropes to the bow.

victory-messenger_0158.jpg

The next tricky job is to untie the nibbing cable in time before the anchor cable disappears in the cable tier. I took out the stairs of the companion way and still should have taken out the grating too, but unfortunately me stupid glued it too well in my dim and distant past ...  

victory-messenger_0157.jpg

And now the messenger is free to travel back to the capstan to be hammered into place.

Cheers Daniel

Looks nice an clean from above, like an ant hill ...

victory-messenger_0150.jpg  

... but deeper ...

victory-messenger_0144.jpg

... and even deeper, then, yes then one can understand that it was a tough job to do ...

victory-messenger_0139.jpg

So here comes the same story, but from a different point of view:

First there were the 120 man on the capstan on the middle deck, easy to remember. Then there were over 60 in the orlop in the cable tier to arrange the sturdy, wet and heavy cable into a neat coil, those ones are easy to be forgotten. And on the forecastle a larger number was preparing the davits and the fishing of the anchor, also a quite relevant number of man.

But also on the lower gun deck there was quite a lot to be done.

Lets start at the capstan, overhead on the middle deck 120 man are turning it without danger of stumbling over some cables. As the anchor cable is too thick and sturdy to go around the capstan, a messenger cable is used as a link. And here we go with some man to guarantee smooth and undisturbed revolutions. 

Starting at the capstan we can see Mr Thor with HIS hammer, checking the messenger hitting the right place. 

victory-messenger_0137.jpg

Next three man are making sure that the messenger is leaving the drum without getting stuck.

victory-messenger_0131.jpg

Interesting are the heavy pillars with the rolls, protecting the pumps from the messenger. (picture from before assembly)

800_victory-elmtree_2987.jpg

The elm tree pump sucks seawater from underneath the hull and puts it with pressure into sail cloth hose (witch will be seen still)

victory-messenger_0124.jpg

Left we see some men, that make sure, that the cable passes smoothly through the rolls hanging from the deck beams. As the messenger is a endless loop, it is linked by some ropes through the eyes. Two men make sure, the eyes pass through the rolls. 

victory-messenger_0116.jpg

In the bow the cable shiftes direction by the help of the two rollers.

victory-messenger_0101.jpg

The manger is the place, where the hose ends. One man uses it to wetten the incoming anchor cable, two boys are scrubbing the mud off by the help of brushes. That is why there are two extra big scuppers at each side of the ship. If the cable had extra protection because of a stony sea bed, then this protection would have been taken off here too by some extra men.

victory-messenger_0112.jpg

Straight after the manger, some man are fixing messenger and anchor cable to each other, called nibbing.

victory-messenger_0094.jpg

victory-messenger_0099.jpg

For that there are no open ends traveling through the ship, I positioned a man at each free end of the nibbing rope walking with it.

victory-messenger_0091.jpg

On the other side some men are bringing back the ropes to the bow. 

The next tricky job is to untie the nibbing cable in time before the anchor cable disappears in the cable tier. I took out the stairs of the companion way and still should have taken out the grating too, but unfortunately me stupid glued it too well in in my dim and distant past ...  

victory-messenger_0085.jpg

victory-messenger_0089.jpg

victory-messenger_0119.jpg

And now the messenger is free to travel back to the capstan to be hammered into place.

Looks easy, doesn´t it? One only needs some men ;-)

These are just some 40 men, in real life I would guess the double quantity, plus some supplements for special duties, possibly some 100 men altogether.

Cheers, Daniel

Quite the busy place down there, Daniel.  And there's the crew doing gunnery practice....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Dafi... that looks just great!!.... where did you find all of your crew??

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Just brilliant Daniel. You really make the ship come alive with your figures. :)