HMB Endeavour by DaveRow - FINISHED - Corel - Scale 1:60 - First Build Kit

This is my first build of a model wooden ship.

I chose the Endeavour as it is part of our nations discovery, and plenty of others being built to see gather tips and trips for the build.

I am using 2 pack epoxy glue(no nails) for all the timber to timber joining.

From what I have seen, the build may take years, and just as well I have started now, plenty of time to finish in retirement - when it comes.

Enough waffle, some pictures and see where this goes.

:dancetl6:

post-13593-0-03950800-1407757542_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-64684700-1407757548_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-98868600-1407757556_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-56956200-1407757562_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

1st Planking:

All 1st planks glued onto the framing, sanded smooth ready for the 2nd planking. Fun begins on the more important, and visual planks.

I learnt a lot fitting the first layer. Found some information on "planking rules" which I practiced on some of the final planks.

I was pretty happy that I got a fair shape in the end. A few mistakes on the way, but hey got to learn.

post-13593-0-05112400-1407758116_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-67504200-1407758120_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-78161800-1407758123_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-19926500-1407758127_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Planking 2nd Layer:

So I made this crane jig up so I can use clamps to hold the planks onto the hull whilst the glue dries. A combination of pins and the clamps(I use packing to protect the hull) seems to work ok. 

post-13593-0-94965900-1407758344_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Planking 2nd layer:

I was game and glued 5 planks to the aft deck side in one go. After this I only do 1 at a time. Too nerve racking wondering if the planks were compressed enough so no gaps !

Picture of a slot for the channels(3 off per side) in the Sheer Strake.

post-13593-0-54829300-1407758496_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-86982100-1407758504_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Fixing errors:

I extended the 2nd planking through to provide the cover to the Quarterdeck steps.

I am going slow. I check between the kit plans(and build notes) and the detailed diagrams in Marquardt's Endeavour book. The more I delve into the Anatomy book, I realise I will be building the Endeavour to Marquardt's details. Much better than the Corel plans and basic details.

post-13593-0-91984600-1407758788_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Hi Dave,

looking good so far.

I'am following the AotS rather than the kit drawings on my Caldercraft build too.

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

Le Coureur 1776 - CAFmodel 1/48

VOC Retourship Batavia

Boston Typhoon steam trawler 1/32

Research/Side Projects/On Hold:

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Welcome ( a little belated) to the Endeavour build club Dave; you've made good progress.  Another reference you may wish to pursue if you can get your hands on them are the plans (volume 2) of Ray Parkin's book also; I have found it useful for some items but there are significant differences between Marquardt and Parkin in some areas (rudder post trunk, stern windows and bumpkins as a few to highlight).  I have stayed with Marquardt mostly and use photos of the replica as my fallback.  Also, s Shipaholic has pointed out in some of his posts, the original plans are also very useful.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you all for your kind words.

I have had a good look and the logs on some of your builds, the details you guys go too ! Wow it encourages me to do great things.

Planking 2nd Layer Pic:

Progress to date, slow going on these, trying my best to get no gaps and no chines (ha, very hard). Thank god for sandpaper.

An hour or so a day, usually enough to fit a plank and glue in place, leave 12hrs to dry.

This is my first wooden model build. As a kid I remember assembling dozens of plastic model kits. Dabbled in some real size boat building somewhat during my yachting days(some time ago now).

I'll hunt the Ray Parkin's book down. Thanks for that tip Pat.

post-13593-0-03647900-1407797949_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Great start Dave.  Thats quite the contraption you've built there for the planking!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 2 weeks later...

Planking update - this will seem to go on forever.  :piratetongueor4:

Second layer:

Now I have not done a lot of research to how to add plans onto a first layer. At the moment I am getting away with gluing and holding each on the side with drawing pins. On the bends is another matter and I either use my contraption(that help hold the cramps in place) or craps to hold the plank in place while the glue dries.

Speaking of glue; I am using a 2 part Epoxy called "Compset 121 Gel". Gives me a 30min wet time then goes off semi-hard in 1 hour, but fully rigid in ~12 hours. I got it from a boat builder mate who uses it on full size boats. Works very well and the whole boat to date is glued/held with this glue.

A pic. of how I use a small length of plank below a glued plank joint to get a good line for the next row below.

Channel Slots:

I created 3 slots in the Sheer Strake(rail) for the side channels. Picture below of how each will slide in. When glued each should hold really well.  :)

It works for me !!

post-13593-0-41956600-1408575978_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-92678200-1408575981_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-34373900-1408575985_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Research Materials:

I managed to source and purchase a First Edition 1997 including all 15 plans of "H.M. Bark Endeavour: her Place in Australian History" by Ray Parkin.

Thanks Pat for guiding me to find this book.

Need to set some time aside to do some reading.

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Great job Dave are you sure it's your first wooden ship?.Everyone's Endeavour will be differant whether you follow the books or replica and all the kits as well.I just do what i think looks o.k.Nice work.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Dave, that's a good idea with the channels, much more strength but I would also be tempted to use wood pins (dowels) into the hull (2 or 3 along the channel length) to provide additional strength when gluing them in.  The other mistake I made with these was to glue the outside capping strip on too early.  Since then while doing the shroud rigging, one or two of my chains (soldered joints) have parted under stress and I now have to prise off these capping strips to replace the chains with their deadeyes - oh well lesson learned - leave this until you have rigged the shrouds completely :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

A couple of members have asked whether this is my first wooden ship build. Honestly it is. However, I am a design draftsman, attention to detail is part of my trade. I also spent nearly 30 years sailing on many types of sailing vessels, fixing and modifying many of them. I have also completely rebuilt our family house - and yes it is out of timber. See where I get it from... !!

Hi Pat,

Yes I plan to add the tree nails and pins - good idea me think, all to lock in the 2nd plank layer to substrata. Have been reading up on how it make them tree nails, and install(wow something to test out for me - a while off to get something working).

Thanks for the tip on the capping strips, I plan to construct new channels as the kit ones have too many holes along the length and from ply ? I prefer to us solid timber for these. or I could glue on a slightly thicker capping strip around the edges ? fake it ? something to mull over.

Back to planking ! slow going down to the Wales. I think I should of started from the wales and went upwards. ! :huh:

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Hi David,Following your Endeavour build with interest as the Caldercraft version is on my C.......M..! wish list along with the Mary Rose. I looked up the Ray Parkin book on Amazon. £456.88 new to £150.00 used! Is it really that good as I already have the Marquardt Anatomy  of the Endeavour? Keep up the good work,your model is looking really good. All the best, Geoff

As Greg stated the Parkin Book is a 2 Volume Set, Book and 15 Plans in a case.

I was interested to see the details in Parkin's plans and inside the book. I confer with Greg, that the AotS is more detailed.

As a resource, I hope it allows some good reading alongside the ship build.

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

• 2 weeks later...

My boatyard has completed 2nd layer planking(1mm) down to the wales - both sides.

Picture - close up of the Starboard Bow is before a slight sand.

Picture - Starboard side after I lightly sanded the planking. Came up pretty good I thought considering. Didn't pay any attention to position of light or dark planks, random as they came out of the stock.

I did physically break each plank run at least once(1), and other breaks I will score the plank to indicate a join. Hope that is sufficient to indicate the joints. Joints bit add hock > at the start went a bit haywire, then started a 4 way pattern.

Next task is to add the wales !

1 x 1.5mm thick plank(thickstuff above the wales) then a series of 2mm to make up a 12mm wide band for the wales.

So this will provide a 2 steps on the top of the wale and 2mm to 1mm step below.

I've decided my boatyard will follow the AOTS by Marquardt as close as it can. ^_^

post-13593-0-63756200-1409471761_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-33978600-1409471765_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Hi Dave,

very nice planking!

I have started on my wales as well already, I'am using 1,5 x 4mm wide for the thickstuff above and 4 Planks 2 x 3mm wide each for the wale.

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

Le Coureur 1776 - CAFmodel 1/48

VOC Retourship Batavia

Boston Typhoon steam trawler 1/32

Research/Side Projects/On Hold:

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Very nice build Dave,

The anchoring Slots for the channels (through the second planking) will give good secure and strong hold to the hull

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks fellow shipmates; Udok, Mirabell61 & shopaholic.

Trying my best to get those planks fitting snug. Wrapping and holding a plank in place around the bluff bow is a challenge. I actually did each as a 2 stage process.

First pre bend the plank to the shape of the hull line, glue it from the stem to frame 2, let it dry(Picture below)

Then glue the rest back to the rear. joint.

Takes time eh !

post-13593-0-31774400-1409485712_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.