HMB Endeavour by DaveRow - FINISHED - Corel - Scale 1:60 - First Build Kit

Hi Shipmates,

Planking on hold for a bit, as my left shoulder muscles are traumatised heaps - lifting too much.

So added the Naval Hoods at the bow. That pushed me a bit with the arm problem.

I glued 2 planks, then bent to the bow shape, trimmed and glued in place.

I am not sure if I brought the bow high enough up, as the holes only just make it through to the deck, even drilled up a ~ 30deg. angle.

Too late to change - will live with it. :)

post-13593-0-79290200-1409659626_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Dave, I think that is an issue with the AL kit as I had the same problem.  I have drilled upwards also but it did not look right so I have covered the deck penetrations with a 'margin plank'  and I will just glue the anchor cable in place but not have it run on deck - wrong but not much choice.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I wasn't at all happy with the kit stern detail. 5 metal windows - no way.

Decided to build from scratch the stern including windows, Taffarel etc. based around the AOTS details.

Progress so far in the picture - with a lot more to do(scrolls, figurines etc)

I have made the 4 Dead-light window hatches as well(not fitted). I have made some hinges, but a wee bit too wide and plan to grid them narrower. Now that I put them on the hatch, looks like I'll be changing the pin angle?

post-13593-0-86642600-1409875373_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-79878000-1409876565_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

So I have been pondering on the Tree Nails on the hull - how to do them and to get a finish look I'd be happy with.

Made a test set of planks and glued a row of sharpened plain match sticks in. 0.7mm holes.

I'll see how they finish off when cut flush and test a few stains on the end grain to see how they come up.

post-13593-0-28982000-1409876794_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Hi Dave,

Sorry, didn't notice another Endeavour build log appear. Another one to follow.

Looking real good so far.  I like how you left a space in the planking for the channels to fit in to, should provide a strong fit.  I used brass rod to 'pin' my channels in place.

I am not sure if I brought the bow high enough up, as the holes only just make it through to the deck, even drilled up a ~ 30deg. angle.

Had a the same issue with the hawse holes on my Endeavour also although the Caldercraft version.  :)

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Port and Starboard Wales finally on.

Took me while to decide how to make up the width with the timbers from the kit.

The upper hull planking is 1.0mm thick.

The wales: decided on a 1.5mm top plank, then 5 planks 2mm thick. So the wales ended up with 2 x 0.5mm steps over the top edges.

I decided to blacken the edges of the top and bottom planks with the aim to give a sharp edge(hopefully not to cut in later on) to the change in colour/clear.

Might do some planks across the stern next, before talking the lower hull planking.

Slow going  :rolleyes:

Cheers shipmates

Dave

post-13593-0-93340300-1410738889_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-48090800-1410738894_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-90002400-1410738897_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Very clean David; she will come up a treat.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

At the shipyard, been a bit slow on the actual boat.

Fitted the lower planking on the Stern. Pic below.

Have otherwise been working on the Stern window fitment piece.

Added the top curved planking - fitted neatly across under the Taffrail.

The fake central window needs a fix, the arch not central.

Wales at the Stern.

I've left the wales go past the stern planks(see Pic). I was going to trim/sand them back, however it not only(in view only) looks ok, but may of been practical to go this way to protect the stern edge ? Does this attract any comments shipmates ?

Next is to plank below the wales to the keel. The thought of getting into this, well I keep finding other things to do, sidestepping the planking. I find myself constantly going through the build logs of the Endeavour builds, many of you guys are way ahead in the builds, great work. 

post-13593-0-48832000-1411248773_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-36095500-1411248946_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-04850100-1411249202_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Looking good Dave.

I think the main wale should be just rounded off at the stern flush with tops of the stern planks. I can show you pics of how I did mine if it will help.

Steve

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Hi Shipmates.

This is a bit of a test actually to see if a pdf file I created - how it shows up in a log.

And the file is a part listing of rigging from David Steels "The Elements and Practice of Rigging & Seamanship, 1794 by David Steel". It is actually the first few pages of a Table for 400 to 450 Ton Ships.

What I wanted to do is work out how many blocks and sizes to order for my Endeavour build. I selected the 400/450 as closest.

So if this works you might be able to open the pdf file and see the contents.

If it does open:

I recalculate from the imperial measurements to metric, then tabulate by block size the number per rigging location.

I have done the Bowsprit and Fore-Mast so far.

The Endeavour may not have all the rigging listed ? I haven't got that far so far.

Makes an interesting activity while glue dries.

Dave

David Steel Rigging_v1.pdf

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

I started the planking below the Wales.

I am using the supplied planks form the kit 5.3mm x 1mm

From what I have read, it is best to follow the natural lay of the plank on the frames or 1st layer of planks. I have read through the article "Simple Hull Planking Techniques for Beginners" from the MSW. Great article to explain what goes on in planking.

So I created a graph of measurements from the wales to the keel. I'd have to say it is work in progress, because as soon as I laid a plank down naturally, I have dropped plank at the bow(see Pic blow). So recalc. the width of planks to the bow, and I may have more dropped planks ? Interesting how this goes.

At the stern, I had kicked the Wales up so I didn't need to wrap them around the kick in the hull so much. The line matches the AOTS. When wrapping the first plank under the wale laterally, it was getting very tight to follow the wale(bend it). So I started it to lay naturally some 4 to 5 stations back from the stern. I could of(should of ?) gone for a Stealer ? I wasn't sure as the planks aren't fanning out. Anyhow, I elected to let the plank lay naturally and am adding a few planks in between the wales and the first plank. The Pic below shows what is going on.

And I just realised I have forgot to taper the Stern and Bow from the bearding line to the edge to maintain a 5mm keel width. More shaping to do. 

Hope it will look ok when all done. :)

post-13593-0-58437000-1411510195_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-26468600-1411510214_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-81398200-1411510219_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Progressing on the bottom planking.

I'm cutting the planks about 125mm long, and staggering the joints, every 4th set of planks match.

The bow: I am dropping the top few planks - the covering plank I make wider by adding a short piece to make a half "arrow" head. Slow going but hopefully not only look good, but the lower planks end up lying naturally on the hull to the bow.

The stern: slightly getting thinner over to the stem 4.2mm, from there plan to thin the planks down to 2.5mm for the concave bend towards the keel. That will be challenging.

Each Plank:

Managing to glue each plank with a drop of fast drying glue at each end, and between with the 2 part epoxy. Tried a couple of different ways, but this is process is working fine.

All epoxy glue on the hull first(leave gaps at ends, and sometimes a spot in between if the plank is not sitting flat enough). Drop of fast glue on one end only, push the plank on(let it dry within seconds) then drop of fast glue on the other end, push plank on - let it dry. Then work the plank between the ends flat squeezing out excess glue, clean up and plank done.

My biggest issue is, not all the planks are same thickness and even the width varies slightly. Talk about life wasn't meant to be easy.

Rowan - thanks for your kind words, started following your build with interest.

Dave R.

post-13593-0-55307100-1411884679_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-08470700-1411884685_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-22348900-1411884690_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Update on the Planking below the wales:

Slowly going bow to stern adding the planks on.

Planks mid ship are easy(straight), just need a bit of the upper edge for the round and glue on.

Planks fore and aft ! each is planned, cut to shape, edges bevelled and placed under steam(kettle) and bent as close to the hull shape as possible > pic below. Makes it so easy to then glue in place. But each is a lot of work.

Bow: I am continuing to drop planks(5 now) to let each lower one to run up to the wales just back from the bow. These dropped planks just don't sit flat(naturally) when I tried to run them to the bow, so have dropped them. Maybe the bow in this area should be more rounded "bluffed" ?

I've spent a long time planning the next 4 to 5 planks, have decided to drop 2 more(pic # 3 below shows a small arrow for these 2 planks) then the rest will go all the way to the bow. Probably be adding in a couple of "steelers" as the planks work there way to the keel. 

When all the planks on and with a light sanding, hopefully come up a treat. ?

Dave

post-13593-0-56165100-1412124891_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-63086500-1412124903_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-63887900-1412124921_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst planking is underway and drying to the bottom, I marked out the some of the main features on the deck based on the AOTS deck plan.

Not surprisingly, was that the 3 mast positions were in the wrong position. So plugged and filled and ready for new holes to be drilled.

Dave R

post-13593-0-91227600-1413277659_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-78930900-1413277665_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-27009200-1413277671_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-77309400-1413277676_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Update to where the shipyard is at with planking

Couple of pictures of the planking to date.

I will be glad when this is completed, as each plank takes so long to plan:

- the position to plank before

- is it laying naturally flat ?

- where to start and end it

- rebate edges for smooth fit to previous

- if a drop plank, pre-plan how next plank fits over the dropped end or maybe another dropped plank ?

- pre-bend to fit as close as possible

- mark glue line, where and how many points for the super glue(to hold the plank

- mix glue then apply to all connecting surfaces

- place and check no gaps for the new plank

Probably missed some things in the process.

I have had a some clinker effect of a few planks as I forced them across the natural lay line too much. Just wanted them in a certain position, the proud edge should sand flat and we won't know which ones they are.

Also not all planks the same thickness and width which plays havoc at the butt joints.

I should stop complaining, nearly there.

Dave R   B)

post-13593-0-45653400-1413278099_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-72400700-1413278104_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-63548200-1413278144_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Nice job Dave,she will come out nice with a fine sand remember the second planks are very thin so don't get to carried away with the sanding.Easy repair if you do though.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst the shipyard(me going slow) planking is going on, took a sideline to have a go at making the 2 rear cabin window decorations.

Three pics below:

1. hand sketched the Window Deco(mirror image it) and glued onto a tight grain hardwood that I cut ~3mm thick

2. I used a new scapple blade to trace around the outer and inner lines, mainly so when I used the engraving tool it had a line to cut up to. Did a first run of carving the internal lines. I then glued the Deco to a second layer of slightly thinner hardwood that I have cut the trapezoidal window out(lined the inner edges, recessed for the hatches)

3. One(RHS) 95% completed Deco and the other - get to it soon I hope.

Back to planking.

Dave R

post-13593-0-62170000-1414450465_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-67010900-1414450470_thumb.jpg

post-13593-0-02329300-1414450476_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Nearly finished the 2nd planking layer on the hull. Getting to the last couple of plank runs on the bottom.

With the hull shape of the Endeavour, the bulges, the twisting and the curving, it has made it a very challenging task for me, one that I had never thought would take so long.

Although I am trying my best to drop and spline the planks to fan out to the bow and stern(with the 45 deg ends), just not going to happen every time(so much work). Some I enjoy doing a challenge, others get to me and I have slipped some tapered planks in(cheat style).

I see a lot of other Endeavour builds way ahead of mine and wish I was further ahead. :angry:

However, I shall continue to sail on me hearty's ! ;)

Dave R

post-13593-0-10085900-1414451040_thumb.jpg

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Hi Dave,

I see you are almost there with the planking Job, well done.

I like your hand crafted Stern decorations, looks very realistic.

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

Le Coureur 1776 - CAFmodel 1/48

VOC Retourship Batavia

Boston Typhoon steam trawler 1/32

Research/Side Projects/On Hold:

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

Hi Dave

Nice work on those badge windows, they have "dumbed down" the carving work on your plans a fair bit, for obvious reasons, the carving work was pretty intricate on the actual ship and too hard to replicate at 1:60 scale. For your interest, here is a picture taken of the window on plans of the Earl Of Pembroke after purchase by the Royal Navy

Cheers

Steve

post-819-0-97965500-1414483539_thumb.jpg

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Thanks for your nice comments Udo and Steve.

I am hoping the badges when tidied up and painted will look OK. Better than the metal ones that come with the kit.

Also still to add cross bars in the windows and hinged covers.

All fun !

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Dave, some really nice progress on the planking.  Your solution to improving to the quarter badges looks great, I'm not familiar with the kit pieces but I can only image how poor they are.  Question on the mast positions, is that not also going to cause you problems because of precut slots in the false keel?  I'm sure you've thought it through but am curious.  Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Jason,

The Corel boat plans have no pre-cut slots in the keel. Good point, I need to work on something now before the deck goes on.

For that matter the plans that come with the kit are very basic and instructions are far from adequate for this type of built. I am lucky as I have been around sailing dingy, trailer sailor to open water race yachts for many years and know my way about boating terms etc.

So I am more going by the AOTS Endeavour and what I can pick up from the other build logs on this site(which are fantastic works by the builds I have visited).

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.