Bluenose by mrcc - Billing Boats - 1:75

Nice detail Julian.  This looks nice and clean.  Very well done indeed!

One question - it looks to me like the green light is mounted on the port side, is that correct?  In the States the red light is usually port, and green is mounted on the starboard side.  I don't know if different countries use different rules.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

small problem.........just pop the lights and switch 'em,  since the boxes are on the correct side  ;)     to be honest,  I didn't notice it.......just goes to prove how beauty can hide a minor whoopsie.  so nice to see your work again Julian........she's finishing out to be quite a superb looking model.   very well done!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for the compliments and likes everyone...

And yes, Bob you are absolutely right... my mistake. Bit more work that switching them out as the lights are set in epoxy and I know the box shelf they sit it has to be forward facing with respect to the inside corner. I will try to switch them out tonight and just hopefully I don't thrash any of the rigging lines...

Cheers!

Julian

Current: Mamoli - Friesland

Billing Boats - Dutch Sperwer

Finished: Billing Boats - Bluenose

Mamoli - Santa Maria

On Hold: Caldercraft - Bomb Vessel Granado

• 2 months later...

Sorry for no recent updates as just limited with time these days...

I have completed the model yet in August but only now posting an update with respect to the little details on the making of the flags.

Yes, I could have done better... but the paper flags will have to do.

I cut the supplied paper flags and sandwiched a piece of tin foil between the two halves. I used simple white glue to affix the tin foil, folded the flags back over the other half, and trimmed off the margins accordingly. At least with the tin foil, I could create a more realistic look to them.

post-1305-0-39593700-1475259960_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-17325000-1475259997_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-05854700-1475260016_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-31061300-1475260045_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-80619700-1475260068_thumb.jpg

post-1305-0-26371500-1475260093_thumb.jpg

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

congratz Julian.........the Bluenose looks great!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye, thanks Bob for following along and providing guidance and of course flattery.

Also thanks to all for the "likes".

I just have a few more pictures of the model in its case that I have just recently built and finished...

Will post them soon!

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

Julian

I  recently started a scratch build of Bluenose in large 1/24 scale.  I am not totally sure how far i will get toward sailing her, but I am building her so she could sail. I have really enjoyed finding and learned much from reading you log.   There are many folks like me that have so much to learn we really appreciate it.

It's a wonderful build and thank you for sharing.   I may be coming back to you with questions as I get into detail

cheers

jon

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jon for the kind compliments...

Sorry for getting back to you so late as I unfortunately do not for whatever reason get notifications when people post on my build log.

Yes of course any questions, please "ask away"!

Cheers,

Julian

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

• 3 years later...

Hi guys 

This is a long shot but I’m embarking on building a billings bluenose 1 kit  which has been in the garage for years. Now with the lock down I’ve got some enforced time so have started. 

I’m missing a few bits which I can make but need help with the shape and dimensions. Critically they are the stern extension - on the plan no’s 9, 10 and A which insert and provide the rake at the stern. Philip

• 7 months later...

Hi there,

Just got the kit from BB, 576 Bluenose, flabbergasted at the lack of instructions so I would like that link you mentioned about that. I also don't see the necessary bar to attach the rudder to the ship. My last ship, the Cutty Sark, was a model ship company that provided plenty of instructions and a was pleasure to make, some 30 years ago. I am at the easy stage of hull making although I found mistakes already in the plans and figured out that I needed to put the decks in place temporarily to ensure the bullwarks (?) were lined up correctly. Instructions would have been nice here...

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes... Billing Boats kits are notorious for lack of details and plans. I know if you go on their website they have some instructions for this particular kit that are downloadable but I do not think it is any more than what you get in the box.  Best to check there and then just look at the builds online... 

Best of luck,

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria

• 1 month later...

Been reading your build post and finding it helpful as I am getting back into picking up where I left off 45 years ago on the billing bluenose 1:75. My one and only attempt at this but I’ve started planning after completing the hull in my “youth”. not sure how this forum works or if you’ll see this since I know it’s been several years but I’m sure I’ll be referring back to your post and the other responses as I attempt to get back into my project and complete it. Found your post both encouraging And somewhat concerning as to my ability to accomplish it.

Hi Gary...

Thanks for your post and yes I still see the occasional comments that trickle in over the years since completing the kit.

I am sure you will have no problem tackling the kit as it is "supposed" to be an easy first build, for some anyways.

The ship is such an iconic image for myself and all Canadians as it has been on our 10 cent coin since 1937.

My skills were very limited at the beginning of the build... and you will find the accomplishment once finished most gratifying!

Best of luck...

PS Let me know when you start your build log as I will certainly follow it.

Cheers,

Julian

Julian

Mamoli - Santa Maria