Triton Notes

"Okay, here is a rough set of dimensions to use for various parts of the model in the three scales. 

1/48 scale Frames, no 61 bit (.039", 1mm), hull planking, no 76 bit (.020" .5mm), deck beams, knees, bitts, etc, no 68 bit (.031" .8mm), and for securing the frames and the keelson, a no 52 bit (.0625" 1.5mm) will do fine.

1/64 scale Frames, no 69 bit (.029" .75mm), hull planking, no 79 bit (.015" .4mm), deck beams, knees, bitts, etc, no 73 bit (.024" .6mm), and for securing the frames and keelson use the same 1/16" diameter bit as used in 1/48 scale. It will work fine. 

1/96 scale Frames, no 76 bit (.020" .5mm), hull planking, no 80 bit (.0135" .4mm) deck beams, knees, bitts etc, no 76 bit (.020" .5mm) and for securing the frames and keelson, no 61 bit (.039" 1mm) 

Please, please, please keep in mind these are very rough and very general dimensions. This is a guide, not a set of hard and fast rules. So long as you are close, there should be no big problems. If you do not want to treenail your planking in 1/96 scale, that's fine, but if you do, you might want to use something a bit larger than no 80. Its the builder's choice."

[copy of one of Russ's original posts on the subject of treenails] 

• 1 month later...

I thought I would post these two images of a cross section model from the science museum.  I thought it might help or at least act as inspiration for those building teh cross section Triton.  What I find very pleasing is the change in the plank thickness.  Especially the outboard planking.  I have no idea which ship this is as I didnt write that down when I saved it.  It is one of hundreds of pictures I saved and now I am trying to organize. Based on what I see it may be a later vessel...but still worthy of inspiration.

Chuck

P7152946.JPG

P7152947.JPG

• 3 years later...

RedDawg,

Are you talking about the one here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/643-triton-cross-section-timber-list/

The ones in the PDF are in millimeters.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On the Triton cross section timber list there is a section in inches a little further down. But my main curiosity is whether either one of the lists are for the 1:48scale? I was going to attempt to do the full size build but I decided that as it will be my first scratch build,and that I wanted to do it as a side build with my Sovereign the cross section would be a better starter project.

Yes, it's for the 1:48 Cross-Section, RedDawg.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 6 years later...
On 2/18/2023 at 7:41 AM, Reub said:

Are there any plans of the head rails and front and stern views etc..?

They should be in the full hull drawings.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

9 hours ago, Reub said:

I, unfortunately, can't find them. would you happen to know the file names in case I missed them?

No I don't. it's been a long time since I dove into those.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: