Robert E Lee by Jaydee37 - FINISHED - Lindberg - 1/163 scale - PLASTIC - Mississippi Steamboat

Hello John,

Great log, nice to see this subject and it looks like its coming along nicely.

Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

I ordered a package of plastic figures from China through eBay. They were inexpensive and the quality reflected the price. I thought they were poorly molded and carelessly painted. I might have been willing to pay more but there weren't many options. At this point I don't think I will use them. I can always add them at a later date if I change my mind.

I was looking at the directions for the flags and streamers. They say to cut out the flags, fold them over and glue them together. However the flags are decals. The lettering for Robt. E. Lee is not a decal but the instructions say to apply it as a decal. Any thoughts?

Hi John, Pity about the plastic figures.The ones i used on my model were also from China but i can't remember much more about them. As regards the flags, the flags on my kit were indeed paper and i simply cut them out and folded them over and glued them together. The words Robt.E.Lee are as you say are not decals but raised letters which i painted using a Sable hair brush and the shading was done the same way with a very small Sable brush--and a steady hand. It looks as though over the years the kit was altered as regards the flags/decals. Maybe you could try looking on E-Bay for paper flags. Hope this is of help to you.

hello robert  vary nice build that u did there so nice and clean work 

• 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Jaydee, 

My name is David and I'm from Cincinnati OH. I have had this model kit for some time and my grandfather lives on the Ohio river and loves steamboats. I was hoping to build this model with him through the summer but there is a bit of a hangup. Somehow we have lost the directions for the Lindbergh model and without them we are very lost. Is there any way that you could send pictures of the directions to me so that we too can enjoy building this model. Thanks so much for the help and the model looks great!

Hi Jaydee, 

Great job on the model. I'm hoping to build this model over the summer with my grandpa who loves steamboats and lives on the river. The only hang up we have right now is that the model kit we have came without the directions. So based on your model it looks as if we have all the pieces just dont have any plan for how to proceed. Is there any chance you have a copy of the directions or could send pictures of the directions you used to build this model? Thank you for the help and the model looks great!

Excellent work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 months later...

I see you built this model 5 years ago. I obtained a kit in July 2019 and was looking through the internet for ideas, colors etc. and stumbled  onto your build. I believe I will alter the colors somewhat but have book marked your site for future use. Thank you for taking the time and effort for your detailed explanations. 

• The title was changed to Robert E Lee by Jaydee37 - FINISHED - Lindberg - 1/163 scale - PLASTIC - Mississippi Steamboat