Rigging Help

Jaydee37

I am building the Robert E. Lee Steamboat, a plastic model by Lindberg. The photo is one of three Smoke Stack Braces that are inserted at the ends into the Smoke Stacks. The instructions call for rigging to run from Point A to B to C to D to E on the four sides. The tips are too small to wrap the thread around, so I'm thinking of putting a touch of glue at the end of each tip (B, C and D) and run the thread across the tip. I would do the same at points A and E. I can't wrap thread there either because I think it would be too bulky. Also the tips at A and E are inserted in the Smoke Stack holes. What do you think? Any suggestions?

post-12606-0-95965200-1409259082_thumb.jpg

I would not use rigging material in the stack, if you are calling a fiber rope rigging. Even wire rope has a fiber core that would burn. Do you have some wire or other stiff material in that kit for this? Those braces are intended to brace the stack but the braces themselves need those spreaders and the bridges between the spreaders that, in effect, increase the diameter of the brace using a much lighter system. Are those braces, attachment points, for the stack stays? Looks like I asked more questions than answering yours, sorry but right or wrong, it took a of figuring it out myself along with time to get to the point where the inside of the cake didn't come out with the toothpick.

jud

Ahoy Jay  :D

I would just use "stretched sprue" and emulate the cable effect by painting them with a brush and then highlighting the brush strokes. 

Much easier and I think it might even look better 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

G'day Jaydee,

A trick I used back in the days when I was into plastic models was to heat and stretch some of the sprue that the parts are molded onto to make rigging "thread". You can draw this out to amazingly thin section. Use a candle or similar to heat the sprue, and then simply pull at each end until it's as thin as you need it. Glue it to each end of the brace and trim it with a sharp knife when it sets.

Hope this is of help to you.

EDIT .... DOH, Jay beat me to it while I was typing this post :D .

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thank you Neptune, JPett, and Danny! The idea of stretching sprue never occurred to me. Therein lies the value of this Forum. I suspect this might take some practice but I'm anxious to give it a try. I'm attempting to chronicle my adventure by creating a build log and I will recount what I do to solve the problem.

John

Thanks Ron.

I'm still considering my alternatives. My reluctance to try stretching sprue comes from the fact that I will need 12 pieces that will be attached in close proximity and I'm not confident of my ability to make them close enough in diameter.

John

Thanks Ron.

I'm still considering my alternatives. My reluctance to try stretching sprue comes from the fact that I will need 12 pieces that will be attached in close proximity and I'm not confident of my ability to make them close enough in diameter.

John

In that case, make 20 or 30 and pick out the best ones - it costs nothing :D , and you'll soon get the hang out of stretching the stuff to close tolerances.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi