BEFORE YOU POST YOUR BUILD LOG - PLEASE READ THIS - Starting and Naming your Scratch Build Log

This area is intended for your build logs of any scratch-built models you are working.  Whether they are wood, plastic, card, or RC kits.  This is the place where you can document your step-by-step progress.  Post images of your work and share your techniques and ideas with your fellow Model Ship World members.

How to set up your log?

Create a new topic for each individual model you are working on.  As you make more progress on it,  reply within that topic to post updates on it.  Please keep all such posts on topic with regard to the log you are working on and all replies within your one log.  Do not create another topic each time you want to make an update.  If you are only posting images of your completed model...please do so in the gallery.  This forum is for works in progress so we can follow along with your step-by-step explanations.

How to Name your build log?

We have a "Build Log Naming Convention" to enable the Search Engine to sort them Alphabetically by "Ship's Name" and/or "Builder's Name".

We urge you to follow the guidelines below to make this work properly. If you don't, a Moderator will do it for you anyway - so you may as well get it right first time and save us the trouble.

This is how your Build Log Title must be set up for Static Wooden Ships :

HMS Victory by Fred Bloggs - Scale 1: 75 - 1805 as she appeared after Trafalger - First wooden ship build

The first section in RED is MANDATORY and must be done EXACTLY as shown to enable correct Sorting by the Search facility. Note there are SPACES either side of the dash following your Username.

Check other Build Logs for an existing one to see whether the "HMS" (or other prefix) is used before the Ship's Name.

DO NOT Re-Title the RED section if it has been done by a Moderator.

The second section in GREEN is OPTIONAL - you may add any further information you like. There is a much larger Character Limit than previously - 150 characters compared to the old one of about 40.

(Note that the colors above are only for this demonstration - you can't Format a Title like you can with other Text)

For Plastic, Card, Ships in Bottles and Radio Controlled the following (in PURPLE) will need to be added :

USS New Jersey by giblets - PLASTIC - Superdetailed with PE

HMAS Sydney by ship ahoy - CARD - 1: 100

HMS Victory by Simmo - BOTTLE - 1/700 scale

Vosper PT Boat by whereami - RADIO - A nice model to build

Instructions on how to use the Search to find a Build Log list of the Ship you are looking for are in a pinned Topic in "Questions/instructions on how to use and post to this forum/Site Problems or suggestions".

• 1 month later...

I have a model that I have been working on for some time. I've never started a build log but, I'm toying with the idea of starting one now. Do I do that or do I simply put the oldhots etc into the working models gallery?a

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)

TomShipModel,

Best way is start a build log.  Put as much or as little as you like to bring us up to date and then carry on from there.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 7 months later...

These rules are a little bit stringent in that my usual way of making ship models (both static and dynamic) - from scratch - foresee the use of different  media. i.e.: wood, metal, plastic, resin, etc.

Now, how can I start a topic?

Thanks in advance for the suggestion.

Captainroger

Not at all.  there will always be some that are hard to label...Just give it your best shot and an admin or mioderator will adjust it if it needs to be.

Chuck

• 1 year later...

Nope...Just name it properly and you are good to go...A good name would be one like I posted below.

Civil War Ironclad, USS St. Louis - 1:24 POF - Gateway Model Shipcrafter's Guild

I am looking forward to it.

Chuck

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have just tried to start a new scratch log and have ran into a problem when I go to copy MSword text onto the page and attach a photo. The text and the file name do not appear on the page like they used to. in my last build log. If I click on the preview button I can see the photo but not the copied text. I feel it must be a setting but cannot find anything.

Daryl

Regards

Daryl

Current Build:    Chinese Bird Boat - Scratch - 1:25

Last Builds:        Viking Knaar - Dusek - 1:35

Santisima Trinidad Section - OcCre - 1:90

Llaut - Corel - 1:25

African Queen - Scratch - 1:36

Next Build:         Chinese Junk - Scratch

• 2 weeks later...

Other than naming our Scratch Build Log, where can we find instructions on how to correctly set up and post updates? We are building the Ironclad USS St Louis as a club project and have assigned one member as a coordinator but eventually will have about a dozen modelers contributing to the project. Most of our postings will consist of photos and documents reporting individual or team progress. None of us has any experience with posting build logs. Our initial attempt doesn't appear to be correct. Is it possible for more than one member to contribute their portion of the postings or do they all  have to originate from a single source? Our attempted second posting update appears as a comment from TomG667 although it actually came from our coordinator.

Please help straighten us out.

Johnhoward

Yes....Just name and post your log.  Then hit reply to post a new update.  Anyone working on the model can post these updates in the same log.   But it will be seen as a reply.   But because its in the same one log it should be fine.  The way its working now is the way it is supposed to work.   Unfortunately you will have multiple people or members contributing.  Unless of course you give everyone the username and password of one individual member and all of you use it when posting updates.

• 5 months later...
I've built several wooden ship kits and one scratch built   can i start build logs on each one as i have pics to show the progress?

Yes.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 1 month later...

You have no heading for iron/steel ship models - if of interest to the other model makers, I would be pleased to put up a truncated version of the 'Current Project' on my own web site at:

http://www.wworkshop.net/Falls_of_Clyde/Menu.html

I can leave out the tool making, and take the viewer through a dozen or so photos, enough to show the process and progress of the construction.  I see nothing similar in your splendid web site.

With respect,  Gerald

post-20237-0-92453100-1447174633_thumb.jpg

Gerald:

While there isn't a specific heading for steel ships the build log of your model would be of great interest to a lot of us.  Don't worry about leaving out tools as there will be a lot of interest in them too.

Your work will be followed when you post it.  I have been checking your web site ever since you asked about the bilge pumps.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Gerald,

your work Looks fantastic, and I presume that a lot of your fellow builders on this site would love to see more of your beautiful and precise work. A steel plated ("riveted") model or a cross section made in build-log steps, in the way you present it on your own site would be great.

Trust that this thread ought to be moved (perhaps by moderator) to a new place / Topic "iron and steel ships" or so ...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Gerald, I see no reason that your modelwork would not fit into the scratch build log section, I am pretty sure that metal was not listed on the header simply as an oversight.

I would like to see you posting here.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

There's no reason at not to use the scratch section.  It covers everything scratch build media. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

By all means, assemble your build log with as many details as possible. :)

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Many thanks all, I will take a look at thinning down and reordering my collection of photos for a Scratch Build Project here.  My own Current Project will run to about 400 photos (and end in June next year) with a focus on the tool making.  Now that it is completed - the model was finished last week end, I can reorder the photo collection as a  Ship Building Project that hopefully might encourage a few others to replicate ship building in metal, as so many of you do in wood.  Watch this space.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone;

I want to start my build log soon,  it will be of HMS Tremendous,  a 1:48 scale model of a 74 gun ship launched in 1784.  I intend to display her in a case with her ship's boats placed around her on the base,  but near the glass so that they can be seen.

I shall build the boats at intervals during the build. 

I would like to check how to post them,  though.  I assume I should start a separate build log for each boat,  and not place them all under the same log as the main ship herself.

Can someone please confirm that this is how I should do this,  just to be sure.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Mark:

You can include the ships boats in the main build log.    You are displaying the ships boats off the model but most builds include the ships boats as part of the build and not done in separate logs.  If you include similar wording as the undelined wording noting that the ships boats are included - HMS Tremendous with Ships Boats  - it covers the whole project. 

You can also do separate build logs but I think those following the project would want to go to only one log to follow your progress. 

Really it's your choice.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hi Kurt;

Thank you for the reply.  I will keep them all together.

All the best,

Mark

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

• 1 month later...

Just click the start new topic button....the rules are all about how to name your build log in the topic title.  Just go to the list of build logs and you will see the start new topic button.   Its above the list of logs.   Right hand side.

Chuck

Upper right corner Dave! You need to be on the main page of what ever thread you want to post a new topic in. In this case: "Build Logs for SCRATCH SHIP MODEL PROJECTS". 

post-12186-0-56424700-1455230288_thumb.png

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 7 months later...

Yes just start a new one and I will delete your old one.  All of the photos are missing anyway.  So be sure to upload them using the photo upload button on the site when you make each post rather than host them elsewhere.

Chuck

• 1 month later...