old model search

profdon

Many (too many) years ago as one of my first I built a model of the original sailing Coastal revenue cutter the Roger B. Taney and would like to find another kit now. Can't remember who sold it but she was a sweet little ship and easy build. The kit was later reissued under a new name and box art. I've searched the web with no luck, anyone out there have any suggestions?

If this:

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/uscgc-roger-b-taney

is the one you are thinking of, it's a Revell kit, about 1/300 scaleish.  Currently OOP, but re-issued many times and still fairly available...

Sorry, I just read your post a bit more carefully.  The only kit I can think of that is a sailing ship Roger B. Taney is by Pyro.  Produced sometime before 1963, long out of production.  Lindberg may have the tools, so we can hope for a re-release...

Roger B Taney, a revenue cutter, was produced as a solid hull by Model Shipways when it was still located in NJ. I presume the time period when it was available was around 1976. It came in the traditional yellow box. I haven't seen it anywhere on the internet, so have to presume it is not available anymore.

Good luck!

Dennis

Lindberg/Pryo "War Of Independence Sloop" is the "modern" name of the old Pyro Roger B. Taney. It is frequently available on Ebay. As I recall, this was Pyro's pirated copy of the Model Shipways kit.  I believe it is about 120 to 140th scale. Look at the inner and outer outlines for the closed gun ports, I have heard that they are misaligned slightly, a minor correction.

There is some question as to whether either kit is really the Taney. Chapelle who originally labeled the drawings as such, apparently later found different research that indicated they may be for a later type of revenue cutter, one of which was sold to the then country of Texas and named War of independence.

I have one, and plan to build her as the Taney.

• 11 months later...

I picked up a copy of the old 1/80 (roughly) Pyro "Independence War Schooner" at a local rummage sale.  It was started, but no real damage done that cannot be fixed with a little work.  It looks like it could be made into a fairly accurate model of the Roger B. Taney.  

The only problem is that there were no instruction sheets.  I am sure I can do without them, but it might make things a little easier.  Does anyone have a copy they can post?