Caldercraft customer service

jwvolz

So, one of the 4 pound cannons is missing from my Granado kit. I have now sent three separate e-mails over the course of several weeks to multiple different e-mail addresses from the JoTika website with no reply whatsoever. I get back "read receipts" so I know they are reading them, but conveniently ignoring them. 

Has anyone else had an issue with them, and does anyone have a thought on how to resolve this?

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Know its a pain Joe, but I'd suggest calling them.  They've always been very responsive to that.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Never had a problem with them but then I have always phoned them and I am UK based. Always had excellent service.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Nothing but problems for me as well trying to get hold of Jotika. I purchased my Granado kit in November 2012 and started the build and noticed into the build that an entire sheet was missing, specifically the sheet with the deck. Tried to get ahold of Jotika without luck and finally asked the retailer to work on my behalf which finally worked. Few months later, on an inventory, noticed that other pieces were missing, specifically unique plank and wood lengths, and again no luck with Jotika. The retailer in this situation just mailed out the wood lengths directly from their shop. I now noticed that I am missing some small white cast pieces.

Didn't know that I should take an inventory and that I should never presume a kit has all it's pieces complete and supplied as expected.

Personally I would expect better from a kit manufacturer, especially given the expense of these kits. My take is Jotika doesn't care. The guy putting together my kit must have been hungover or high. I have sent numerous emails to Jotika without a response. I have recently sent 3 emails to John Wright and various other email addresses without a single response. Very disappointed!

Julian

Billing Boats - Bluenose

Caldercraft - Bomb Vessel Granado

Mamoli - Santa Maria

I did finally get an e-mail reply last week.

They said they only got one e-mail from me, not the four I sent. Nevertheless, my cannon barrel is on the way to me, so all's well that ends well. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

All's well, that ends well sometimes doesn't work for me.

I noticed on lots of the logs involving Caldercraft builds, there is stages in which people are getting supplies and parts shipped out to them that were originally not supplied. Maybe if Jotika put more care in their packaging, they could drop the price on their kits. Instead we are paying the price in their original markup to ship , reship, and ship again, parts that are missing.

They need to perhaps hire extra help and focus on the simple details.

I am in business as well, if I had the same error and omission rates, I would be out of business.

PS still waiting for an email reply. My first email was sent in early August to Jotika.

I know it was read as I got the read receipt.

I can't figure this out. Either too busy or too busy to care. Either way absolutely terrible customer service.

Julian

Billing Boats - Bluenose

Mamoli - Santa Maria

I recently purchased three JoTika kits from a supplier in Australia. I have started building the HM SUPPLY. When I began sorting out the parts and checking them off the list, I discovered that 5mm board containing stem post, rudder and winch components was missing. I emailed JoTika a couple of times but got no reply. I decided to ring (from Australia to England) the fellow I spoke to - John - told me he would have them posted ASAP. After waiting for them for about 5 weeks, I rang again. John apologised and told me that he had previously had problems getting wood products through Australia's Customs. He told me he would resend them. That was about 6 weeks ago, still no parts. I am not doubting John's word that they were seized by customs in Australia but it is still annoying. Has anyone else had difficulty getting wooden parts through Aussie customs???? I thought of contacting the Australian supplier but didn't feel like waiting another couple of months. I decided to scratch build the components myself - I think I can produce a more authentic looking winch anyway!!!!

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

So as a second point, I inherited a 30 year old Billing Boats kit, specifically the Bluenose, a kit that is no longer available and discontinued in the current scale. My neighbour, who passed the kit to me, many years ago lost a small sheet of the kit.

Last week I sent a blind email to the Billing Boats distributor, PM Hansen, based out of Vancouver, British Columbia, and within 1 hour I had a reply, and 3 days later, the parts arrived in the mail. Remember this is a 30 year old kit, now discontinued, and I was still able to get parts replaced in "days".

Now that is customer service!

Sorry no excuses should be made for Jotika and Caldercraft. I sense that people are too forgiving of Jotika and their current level of deplorable

"customer service". If Mr Wright is so busy that he can not return emails or get that sheet off to Australia, then he needs to hire some extra help, someone with the skills to assemble "all" the sheets and parts to complete a kit.

Edited by mrcc

Julian

Billing Boats - Bluenose

Mamoli - Santa Maria

I checked my other two kits - the Endeavour and the Bounty, they were al present and accounted for. Given the comments expressed in this thread, I should

consider myself lucky. It's a shame because, in my opinion, the kits themselves are quite good value for money. Maybe it is a case of a company getting too big and being unable to keep up with demand. I hope they read this thread and realise that potentially thousands of model builders will as well. It may encourage them to lift their game!!!!

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

All's well, that ends well sometimes doesn't work for me.

PS still waiting for an email reply. My first email was sent in early August to Jotika.

I know it was read as I got the read receipt.

I can't figure this out. Either too busy or too busy to care. Either way absolutely terrible customer service.

I do still agree, it is terrible service overall. I also made sure I got read receipts on all of my e-mails, so they are definitely full of it when they say they only got one e-mail from me. 

I'll reserve my final judgement if and when I actually receive my part. It is very disappointing, considering the quality of their kits.

Joe Volz

Current build:

Joe (and mrcc),

I'm sorry you've both had difficulty dealing with Jotika. This is a "trading name" for a manufacturer (Caldercraft) and it is largely a dormant web site that nobody in England pays any attention to from what I can tell. However, "Shipwrightshop.com" is another matter; this IS attended to by Richard Wright, who does take care of business, even small requests and orders.

On several different occasions (with Shipwrightshop.com) my experience has been excellent. Also, I've built three Caldercraft kits (Granado, Diana and Agamemnon) and there were no missing parts.

Here's my tip: try ordering from www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk for your next project. Their web service is extraordinary, their prices are the lowest I've encountered - including frequent adjustments on the exchange rates. I've bought two of the Caldercraft kits from them. They do know how American Customs works and that's very important too. ;)  I believe they check the kits for completeness BEFORE shipping (what a concept!) which is precisely what I'd do with International customers to save time and hassles were I the proprietor.

Lastly, I'd bet my Dremel drill that Cornwall is important business for Caldercraft (the whole company especially RC, not just the static ship model part we like). I would also hazard a guess that the respective owners work closely with one another, or even frequently play golf or cricket together, or just hang out at the local pub. The last thing a small manufacturer wants to do is fiddle with small orders and missing parts. Especially ones that are, literally, half way around the planet. Hence, my recommendation for Cornwall who maintain an inventory of Caldercraft stuff (including tiny fiddly bits) and get all those bits in the right boxes BEFORE they ship!

Like I said, What A Concept! B)

Good Luck

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

I can understand what you are saying Hollowneck, but sitting here in my loungeroom 15 000km away from the supplier in the UK, after having ordered kits through their OFFICIAL AUSTRALIAN SUPPLIER and having sent 3 emails and made two Phone calls to England. Having been assured twice by the manufacturer Mr John Wright that the parts were on their way, your advice is cold comfort. Whether it is Caldercraft or JoTika I have been communicating with, to me it is all the same company and service should have been better. Why couldn't they have sent me a follow up email to check if the parts ad arrived after having already gone missing once? That would have cost them nothing. Very disappointing Caldercraft/ JoTika !

Having gotten that off my chest, I have taken your advice Hollowneck, and emailed shipwrightshop. Hopefully that will help.

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Ron,

Here's the thing... I got read receipts from the very same Richard Wright on all four e-mails I sent to the Jotika, yet he claims he only received one. That's pretty bad, to outright lie like that. This the last I'll say on all of this, and I really hope my part does arrive as promised. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Update

My cannon barrel arrived as promised. I can now continue with that part of my build. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

I hope Cornwall are reading these posts. It is a great shame that they are not acknowledging that they have a customer care problem. Come on Cornwall man up and accept the challenge to put this right! It should not take too much effort to make a good supplier into a great one.

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

I have never had a problem with Caldercraft/JoTiKa over many years dealing with them. All I can suggest is call them. I know it's a pain but they are very busy people. If you get to talk to John Wright tell him Geoff said to get your finger out & send my missing part. If he doesn't I will go round there & "Sort him out"! All the best.Geoff

I hope Cornwall are reading these posts. It is a great shame that they are not acknowledging that they have a customer care problem. Come on Cornwall man up and accept the challenge to put this right! It should not take too much effort to make a good supplier into a great one.

Mike.

I suspect you mean Caldercraft / JoTiKa and not Cornwall model Boats as CMB have always been excellent when I have dealt with them.

The key to dealing with Caldercraft is to give them a call but I agree that they really could do with working on their organisation when dealing with email enquiries.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Hate to disagree jim smits but if you read my previous post, I actually sent 3 emails and then made 2 phone calls from Australa all to no avail. I actually emailed the shipwrightshop after reading Hollowneck's advice. I got a reply, but it was not from Richard Wright as suggested by Hollwneck but by.... You guessed it.... John Wright who I had emailed .... 3 times and phoned twice already. He apologised for me not getting the missing parts. He said that he had forgotten to send them and that he would mail them immediately. Hopefully they will arrive in a couple of weeks or so.... But I'm not getting too excited!!!

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

Sorry Jim but I do mean Cornwall Model Boats. The fact that you and others "have always had good service" is what makes the whole thing so infuriating. Here we have a basically good outfit who do not respond well when things go wrong. That is what needs putting right.

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Mikeaidennh - only queried your post as this thread has been about caldercraft being poor and the only posts re CMB had been complimentary and therefore your comment didn't seem to fit. Apologies.

CMB have always responded promptly to queries other than between Xmas and New Year which is understandable. In fact their delivery turnaround time has always astounded me but then I live in UK. Have ordered lunchtime and 80% of the time receive order next day in post

I will again re-iterate, though, that the best way to deal with both CMB and Caldercraft is to call them. However Caldercrafts management do seem to need to go to a time management and organisation course.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

.......and a customer relations course!!!!!!

Hornet

Completed Ship Builds:

- Constitution

Corel - Victory

thought you might like to know that I have just sent a message to John Wright at Caldercraft/ JoTiKa regarding some of our members difficulties. I have known John for many years & I told him I am personally concerned over this.I hope I haven't overstepped the mark, but it may do some good . I will let you all know when I get a reply. All the best, Geoff

I believe this traffic may bear fruit. I do hope so because I agree with the folk that have enjoyed good service....they can be good people to deal with. It was never my intention to bad mouth CMB merely to spotlight a silly failure to deal with problems proactively. Put that right and all will be well.

No need for apologies Jan, no offence taken. It can only be good in the long run to air our grievances and get things sorted.

Mike.

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Geoff,

I would suggest pointing him to this topic, in particular. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)