Armed Virginia Sloop by GuntherMT - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:48

So...  many...   ropes...  

I have no idea how people that do full ship rigs, in much smaller scales than this, don't go completely insane.

Attached the main outhaul, which just dead-ends at the sheave on the boom since I don't have sails, and the boom lift.

post-14925-0-84203100-1442465967_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-80942000-1442465968_thumb.jpg

Massive mess of ropes and blocks.  New to this mess is the boom lift, and the gaff throat halliard.

post-14925-0-67327300-1442465969_thumb.jpg

Boom lift tackle.  Belaying this off to the cleat on the shroud was..  an interesting experience.

post-14925-0-64861000-1442465970_thumb.jpg

Top from the other side with a better view of the gaff throat halliard.  Slightly out of focus, sorry about that.

post-14925-0-53903900-1442465971_thumb.jpg

Gaff throat halliard tackle and belayed to the Riding Bitt.

post-14925-0-10091000-1442465972_thumb.jpg

Cleaning up all the belayed ends, and adding coils is going to be pretty interesting later on.

Woop!

post-14925-0-71395300-1442472533_thumb.jpg

Jeers tackle.

post-14925-0-88286100-1442472532_thumb.jpg

post-14925-0-18627400-1442472534_thumb.jpg

Nothing holding any downward tension yet, so the jeers are sort of loose.  Can see the served parrel around the served spreader horse though, now lashed to the yard.

post-14925-0-08152100-1442472535_thumb.jpg

Edited by GuntherMT

Your rigging skills are nothing short of being outstanding Brian, and the quality of her look brings it all out nicely.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I have to apologize Brian as I am sitting here chuckling, this all brings back memories( I purposely did not say fond memories!!) and you document it so well. As Dirk says the finish line is close, and the job you are doing is fantastic.

Thanks all.  Every time I work on another piece of the rigging in the middle of everything I feel like I'm one twitch or sneeze away from ruining everything.  Every time I finish belaying off a line it's like I managed to successfully defuse a bomb (or maybe just a clock, hahaha)*.

*Terrible joke/reference to latest stupid news here in the US.

post-14925-0-32251700-1442498145_thumb.jpg

Edited by GuntherMT

Again I just have to say beautiful work.  When I look at those pictures I feel like I am looking at pics of a real boat. 

Brian, that is beautifully crisp and precise rigging.  Looks like you've used the Syren thread throughout?  Well done!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Using good quality rope and blocks makes a huge difference in the over-all look I think.   :)

How true.  Years ago I went to a show and a model of an East Merchantman that someone had worked on.  The craftsmanship was very nice but it was marred by line the modeler used.  Out of scale and very sloppy applied.  Keep up the great work.

David B

Beautiful rigging Brian

Just popped around the corner (into my dining room that is) to look at my own and realise how the serving of the ropes on yours makes it look so much more real and properly scaled. That'll be a new learning curve for me next time.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi Brian.... Just now joining this build from your beginning post. Really enjoyed this entire log, along with all the comments and excellent photos. Great job.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thanks all, and welcome aboard Sawdust Dave.  Just in time for the home stretch, although I think that home stretch is a good month or more still with all the rigging yet to do, rope coils, anchors, etc.

Beautiful rigging Brian

Just popped around the corner (into my dining room that is) to look at my own and realise how the serving of the ropes on yours makes it look so much more real and properly scaled. That'll be a new learning curve for me next time.

Good to see you around Alistair, and yea, I really love the effect of the serving, I couldn't be happier with how the serving has come out, and the look is great.  Even the spreader yard parrel, which probably nobody else will ever notice when looking at the model (other than me), I think is so much better with the serving, even though doing that bit by hand while one end was attached to the yard was a huge pain in my ****.   :P

I've also downsized most of the rigging line, using a rigging plan that I found on modelshipbuilder.com.  http://modelshipbuilder.com/page.php?188

Many of the blocks are also downsized (especially the cannon tackle) from the kit sizes.

Seizing all of my rope terminations has also done a lot for the overall look I think, but that might just be me thinking it does, since I'm the one that's spent so much time seizing little ropes!

Tonight I got the spreader yard lifts and aft braces rigged.  At this point it's pretty obvious that stuff is going to start getting in the way, so I'm going to have to break down and do the ratlines next, so I guess that's the project for this weekend.

Brian, looking great and I am sure you will enjoy making the ratlines  ;) just take your time and enjoy tying clove hitches.

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Following the lead of many other build logs, I made a simple guide out of a manila folder that I clipped in behind the shrouds to help me space and align the ratlines.

post-14925-0-88950000-1442724031_thumb.jpg

Then, let the clove-hitching begin!

post-14925-0-91812800-1442724032_thumb.jpg

If anyone makes comments about how inconsistent my ratlines are, I'm just going to show them this picture, from a real ship, that I took while I was on my San Diego trip.   :)  Maybe I'll just mount this picture on the base!

post-14925-0-76656000-1442724069_thumb.jpg

Addendum - After looking at all the pictures I took while I was in San Diego from all the ships that had ratlines, I chose to use the dark brown rope to make the ratlines, even though most of the ships there had tan rope ratlines.  The reason is, that in every single picture other than the super close-up shots, the ropes look brown/black from any distance at all.  They appear to be the same color as the standing rigging unless you are right up on top of them, for whatever reason.

If I could go back in time a few weeks I would probably have ordered the light brown rope to do the ratlines with, because I think that would be perfect, but since I don't have any of that rope in the right size, dark brown is what I'm going to use.  I think the tan just stands out too much, and as you move away from the model it doesn't blend in like the tan lines on the real ships do.

Hi Brian:

I think the ratlines look great - I've always had a hard time getting a nice dip in them to make them look like people have actually climbed them.....yours do this well!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

You are right Brian. We try to make our models so "perfect" but that's not how it is in real life. Ropes aren't perfect, Decks, rails or anything wood has wear, cuts, nicks, etc. I no longer try to get mine so perfect anymore. Little imperfections add character & looks more realistic!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

And, the starboard side is done.  I was hoping to finish both sides this weekend, but I had a fair number of other chores to do around the house, and I discovered that I was only able to tie off about 6 lines before feeling the need to get up and do something else for a bit, so it took a little time.

Tomorrow night I'll put lines on the guide for the other side and start the next half.  Woo... 

post-14925-0-68321000-1442810963_thumb.jpg

Look at that! Great stuff - the ratlines really bring her to life. Nicely done

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hello Brian, It's been a while since my last visit to your build log... So i put my glasses on and keep reading... You did an amazing job ,Planking ,detailing,ringing etc...

Well done mate!! :) :) She is beautiful.

Kind Regards

Dimitris

Current Build: Amerigo Vespucci -Mantua- 1:100 scale

Completed Build logs: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Gallery: Bluenose II AL 1:75 scale

Future Build: Royal Caroline -Panart- 1:47 scale

I'm finished tying clove hitches!  Yay!

Just before the final trimming...

post-14925-0-29712700-1443071009_thumb.jpg

All trimmed up...

post-14925-0-27841400-1443071020_thumb.jpg

And a couple of overall shots now.

post-14925-0-26231000-1443071030_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-66481700-1443071037_thumb.jpg

I made a bit of a list of what I think I have left to do, and I think I'm on track to finish in 2-3 weeks, barring something unforseen, or something taking more time than I expect.  I then have an idea for a base which may take a couple more weeks, but overall, looking good for a mid-late October finish I think.

Hi Brian,

Very impressive...been very much enjoying watching your rigging work.

The full hull shots really show how your AVS is now coming to life. It must be nice to be at least starting to see the finish line!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild