Armed Virginia Sloop by GuntherMT - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:48

I'm finished tying clove hitches! Yay!

Just before the final trimming...

attachicon.gif769Ratlines.jpg

All trimmed up...

attachicon.gif770Ratlines.jpg

And a couple of overall shots now.

attachicon.gif771Overall.jpgattachicon.gif772Overall.jpg

I made a bit of a list of what I think I have left to do, and I think I'm on track to finish in 2-3 weeks, barring something unforseen, or something taking more time than I expect. I then have an idea for a base which may take a couple more weeks, but overall, looking good for a mid-late October finish I think.

Hi Brian

Really nice work and a very impressive ship you've got there!

I'm just wondering about your comment about the stand though, because to my mind, what you've got there is full of character and close to what the real ship's cradle could've looked like. Additionally, it certainly looks the part! Keeping it may save you some extra work.

Just a thought.

Cheers and all the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Congrats on getting to this milestone Brian. :dancetl6:  You've done an outstanding job on her.  I agree with Patrick about the cradle. I think it looks fine and adds character.  

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I agree with Patrick & George. The cradle looks great to me!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Very nice work Brian. She looks great! Congratulations on completing the rat lines.... Always a time for celebration with a cold beverage.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Thanks all.

The cradle is staying, it's a display board to sit under it, and also add the slight bow up angle that I am churning around in my head.

Now that I'm done with the ratlines, it's back to the other rigging.  I had previously rigged the aft braces, and needed to do the fore braces.  The fore braces attach to the bowsprit with a collar, which is supposed to go between the bowsprit chocks and the iron ring.  Well, I placed the chocks and the ring per the plans, rather than figuring out before-hand how much crap was supposed to go in that space (lesson learned here).  There are already ropes doubled up in this space, and there was no way that a collar was going to fit here as well, so I placed the collar on the forward side of the iron ring, simply because there's just nowhere else to put it without going all the way back and remaking the bowsprit, which I'm just not going to do as that would set me back months.  "Good Enough" time.

Making the collar...

Starting with a pair of 5/32" double blocks, and a couple of 6" lengths of .025" dark brown rope, and a couple of long pieces (48") of .012" tan rope.  

Step 1 - Make a couple of eyes in the ends of both brown ropes for the lashing.

post-14925-0-78041700-1443159186_thumb.jpg

Step 2 - Seize the two brown ropes together to form the bottom of the collar that will be lashed around the bowsprit.

post-14925-0-31246200-1443159194_thumb.jpg

Step 3 - Seize the double blocks into the brown ropes.

post-14925-0-41961700-1443159201_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-95968300-1443159208_thumb.jpg

Step 4 - Seize the long tan lines under the brown ropes.  These will the the standing ends of the fore braces.

post-14925-0-81223800-1443159216_thumb.jpg

Step 5 - Lash the collar to the bowsprit with brown thread.  I still haven't figured out a decent way to take pictures of these lashings under the bowsprit.

post-14925-0-44755700-1443159227_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-32516600-1443159235_thumb.jpg

Now it's ready to actually rig the fore braces.  These lines run from the standing end at the collar up to the pendants handing from the ends of the Spreader Yard, then back through the outside hole in the double blocks in the collar, and then to the bow where they are belayed on the inner cleats on the bulwarks next to the bowsprit.

post-14925-0-66799000-1443159242_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-40084700-1443159250_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-45109200-1443159259_thumb.jpg

I'll have to get a shot against a darker backgroud at some point.

The deck is getting really covered by loose rope ends now, cleaning all of them up and making coils is going to be quite a project.

Next I need to rig the top yard, but that will likely be Saturday, as I have plans after work tomorrow.

Edited by GuntherMT

The rigging looks great Brian. It must be a pure pleasure working with Chuck's blocks and rope, compared to the factory supplied stuff.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

So a big milestone was just reached.  All the rigging is now in place!  

The last big item was the top yard.  First thing was to make the parrel that holds it to the top mast.  It has one end closed in an eye-splice, and the other end has a pair of eye-splices so that it can be lashed in place after wrapping it around the top mast, and the double rope between is served.

post-14925-0-25670300-1443398017_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-34001200-1443398018_thumb.jpg

Here is the top yard all rigged up and ready to hang.  In addition to the parrel, there are a pair of blocks, the foot-ropes, a brace and lift on each end, and the halyard in the center.

post-14925-0-95105000-1443398018_thumb.jpg

This shows how the parrel holds the yard to the top mast, and the halyard supports the yard vertically.  Also a wider shot prior to rigging everything, with just the halyard holding it up.

post-14925-0-37416400-1443398019_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-86824100-1443398019_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-43724300-1443398020_thumb.jpg

Jump to the end, I rigged all the lifts (top yard and spreader yard which actually hangs from the two blocks on the top yard), braces, and the flying jib halyard and inhaul.

post-14925-0-04018700-1443398021_thumb.jpg

And what it looks like now.  All the rigging is still long at the bottom belaying points so that I can adjust things.

post-14925-0-02262600-1443398022_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-04875800-1443398023_thumb.jpg

All the blocks and sheaves work.  All the parts are actually held in place by the rigging, and it's all functional, in that I can adjust the rigging however I want.  I can raise or lower the yards, and adjust the angle of the yards and boom (the Gaff is pinned in place due to the angle for mounting it, but if I cut the pin, it would also be adjustable).  If I had sails, the clew lines, in-hauls, and out-hauls would all function to raise and lower the sails.

All that's left now is to make the anchors and bouys and rig them to the catheads, clean up all the ropes on the deck after final adjustments, and then make rope coils for all the ropes at their belaying points.  

Oh, I also need to re-do a few of the swivel cannons before I mount them, and then do overall touch-ups as needed, and make the base for it to sit on.  Still a lot of work left to do, but damn it's great to see it looking pretty much done.

That is so cool that all the rigging is functional. Always wanted to do something like that!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Hi Brian

It was a treat to see the AVS in person yesterday - thanks for bringing it to the meeting.  You've done an awesome job on her, and you should be very proud to say this is only your second ship.

And... the anchor stocks are 90 degrees off from where they should be, so that will be a re-do on the anchors.  Oops.

Almost there!  And it is looking excellent.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Brian, Great job on the rigging! Nice and clean and tight.

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/

Thanks for all the support and encouragement all.

I fixed the anchors.  The other one was a bit loose, so it required a longer setting glue, so it didn't make it into the photo.

post-14925-0-40302100-1443502375_thumb.jpg

Holly friggin rigging! So glad I found and added this build log. I have been drooling at the chance of cutting my teeth on my own AVS. I also really like how the sections are labeled and separated. I hope this log stays up for while to use it as a supplement when I start construction. Very impressive build. (we're not worthy, we're not worthy) lol. 

Semper Fi,

Phil :)

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"

General James Mattis USMC (ret.) 

Current Build:

US Independence by AL in 1/35

Completed: 

Bon Retour by AL (Second Build) 

Great looking rigging Brian - maybe you mentioned it elsewhere here - but did you replace the kit supplied rope? Whatever you're using it looks really nice

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Great looking rigging Brian - maybe you mentioned it elsewhere here - but did you replace the kit supplied rope? Whatever you're using it looks really nice

hamilton

Thank you hamilton,

All of the rigging, ropes, blocks, hearts, dead-eyes, and hooks - everything except for the bullseyes, are from Chuck at Syren Ship Model Company, as are the gun barrels (both swivels and main guns) and the main gun carriages.  The deck is holly planking from Hobby Mill, and the masting is all Boxwood from Crown Timberyard.

Holly friggin rigging! So glad I found and added this build log. I have been drooling at the chance of cutting my teeth on my own AVS. I also really like how the sections are labeled and separated. I hope this log stays up for while to use it as a supplement when I start construction. Very impressive build. (we're not worthy, we're not worthy) lol. 

I certainly have no plan to take the log down Philthy, and I'm very happy if it helps anyone with their own build of this kit (or even something else!).

I'm enjoying following your log.

BTW - I found this photo a few years back, and I thought you might like it.  Looks like an Armed Virginia Sloop to me.

post-912-0-01762300-1443906614_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks all, will get back to working on the final details tomorrow.  I've been pretty busy this week since finishing the anchors and haven't done anything since.  Today was day one of sailing lessons, and I'm completely exhausted, so probably not a great time to work on the ship!

So I haven't made much progress since my last update, and I've discovered that I don't really like rope coils very much.  Seems like a great thing to dislike given my subject choices, hahaha.. 

In any case, I'm working on getting a jig that makes coils I like, and I think I'm getting somewhat close, but still not there.

I started working at the stern, and I'm done with the stern, quarter-deck, boom, and shrouds now.  

post-14925-0-71816700-1444019245_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-72791800-1444019246_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-31393300-1444019247_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-35388200-1444019248_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-26660400-1444019249_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-73807100-1444019249_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-19351900-1444019250_thumb.jpg

The coils are taking much longer than I expected them to, but oh well.  Getting a bit better as I go along.

For someone who doesn't like them, you certainly make them pretty good.

When I get to coil stage on my Endeavour, I will be coming back here looking for instructions. cheers Chris

The coils look really good.  How about showing us your jigs for making them?

That would require that I was taking pictures as I went through them.  :)  I was mostly just using toothpicks (round) stuck in Balsa along with another flat toothpick for the tail end that hangs out.  Now that I think I've got the spacing about right, I'll find something that the glue won't stick to as easily, probably brass tubing, as I don't have any appropriately sized nails to use.  Pretty much the same thing as Dan Vadas used here - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/230-hms-vulture-by-dan-vadas-1776-148-scale-16-gun-swan-class-sloop-from-tffm-plans-completed/page-101?hl=%2Brope+%2Bcoil#entry339219

I tried using the tiny brass nails, but they ended up too narrow, without any gap in the center of the coils to work with to hang them (before I started leaving the tail hanging out as part of the coil building process) and I kept messing up the coils trying to widen them after.  I then used multiple brass nails at either end, and it works 'ok', but the round toothpicks ended up being just about the right size I think.