Armed Virginia Sloop by GuntherMT - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:48

Thanks Brian!  I think the real value of build logs is in the explanations of how a modeler achieved a task in addition to showing the work.  

Yep, that's Alistair's log, I've used it a lot on my build as a reference and inspiration.  It's pretty much the same thing that I referenced from Dan Vadas, except that Dan showed the rope 'loop' coming out of the coils to use to hang the coil on the cleats, which is the way that all the ships I saw in San Diego hung their rope coils.  It's a very similar jig, with an extra pin.  I'll try to get in the other room tonight long enough to take a picture, had a very late day and just got home.

Edited by GuntherMT

Ok, so I made one coil on the latest iteration of the jig.

The brass is cut at a 45 degree angle at one end and just stabbed into the balsa block so adjusting the size of the coils is a simple matter of moving them to different spots on the block.

post-14925-0-95270300-1444110971_thumb.jpg

I put the scrap plank underneath to keep the rope off of the block for a couple of reasons.  So that the rope doesn't stick to the balsa since it's so soft, it's easy to pull up pieces of the balsa that need to be cleaned off.  The space underneath allows easy threading of the rope on coils that I want to tie off in the middle.  Finally, the space makes it much easier to push the rope off the brass from underneath without messing up the coil.  

post-14925-0-98854000-1444110972_thumb.jpg

This rope coil I made overly large on purpose to see how it would look sort of folded up against a bulkhead, as there were plenty of coils that were done like this on the ships I saw in San Diego, so I figured I'd try it.  Easy enough to pull it off if I decide I don't like it.

post-14925-0-65487100-1444110973_thumb.jpg

Really like that jig, Brian. Another tool in a "bag of tricks". :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Great idea on using balsa (I knew there must be SOME use for it) and the wood strip for spacing.  Another great approach that I'll borrow.

Great work Brian

I did say my method might not be accurate and you've proved it so! Despite the brilliance of your rigging I'll leave mine be and learn for the next time.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Great work Brian

I did say my method might not be accurate and you've proved it so! Despite the brilliance of your rigging I'll leave mine be and learn for the next time.

Cheers

Alistair

I certainly wouldn't change yours Alistair, this is a hobby in which we are constantly learning, and going back to completed projects just doesn't make any sense to me.  I've seen plenty of models with coils done like yours, and I've seen photo's of museum models with coils done both like yours, and in other ways that don't make any sense at all (like open coils laying all around the belaying points on the deck to the point where it would be impossible to get to the belaying points without crossing two rings of rope coils).

If I hadn't gone to the Festival of Sail in San Diego, I'd probably be more than happy to do them by hanging the top of the coils over the belaying points, but since I saw them on both working ships, and the museum ship (Surprise) done differently, that's what my new goal is.

Here are some of the photo's I took while in San Diego that I'm sort of trying to use as a reference while finishing this up.

post-14925-0-28050200-1444199012_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-32531200-1444199013_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-88529700-1444199013_thumb.jpg

The method that they hang the coils from the belaying points is actually really simple.  They make up the rope coil, then grab the line that remains between the belay point and the coil, pull it through the coil, twist the loop formed by that rope, and stick the end of that loop over the end of the belaying pin/cleat, and bam, the coil is hung!

I've been playing with methods of using the actual end of the line from the rigging to loop over the coil in the same way, but it's really difficult to get it to hang right, so I switched to making the 'hanging' loop from the coil itself.  This method works much easier, but I lose the detail of the rope loop coming from inside of the coil and over it, but it's pretty likely that the only person that would ever notice that detail would be me.  :)

Ever so slowly I am working my way through the rope coils.  I just haven't found a lot of time lately to work on them.  I started at the stern, finished all the ones up to the mast (including the shroud cleat ones), then tonight, finally finished the ones at the base of the mast.  All I have left is all the ropes at the bow now (going to be crowded!).

Here is a picture of the little balsa-wood jig in use with 3 coils in various states of the glue soaking in and drying, followed by a couple pictures of the way the base of the mast turned out.  The tooth-pick with alligator clamps thing in the photo is holding that last coil in position while it dries, hopefully staying in position when I remove it!

post-14925-0-02360900-1444530544_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-94500300-1444530544_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-40672100-1444530545_thumb.jpg

I know it's all time consuming, but it's all those little things put together that makes it really pop with detail. Outstanding!  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

The rope coils look great! Really bring her to life!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thank you all for the compliments and the likes on the rope coils.  I do appreciate them!

So yea.  Rope coils.  I don't know why, as they really aren't any more tedious than lots of other things I've done on the ship, but I really had a hard time motivating myself to finish these, but I think the end result is certainly worth the effort expended.  I finally finished up the bow tonight.

There are 11 lines that terminate at the bow (would be more if I was building this with sails).  Here is what it looked like with the lines terminated, but not trimmed, before I started adding the coils.

post-14925-0-05827200-1444880309_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-86096200-1444880309_thumb.jpg

First step was to add the three coils for the lower tier of ropes on the bulkhead.  I did this over the weekend at some point.

post-14925-0-01261700-1444880311_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-01889900-1444880312_thumb.jpg

Then tonight I got busy after work, which was a bit early since today was a telecommute day, and I knocked out all 8 of the coils along the cap-rail at the bow.

post-14925-0-70697600-1444880312_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-19316000-1444880313_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-66887100-1444880313_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-14585200-1444880314_thumb.jpgpost-14925-0-71340200-1444880314_thumb.jpg

Next I need to rig the anchors up, which of course means making a couple of buoys and then rigging the catheads to attach to the anchor rings.  I need to decide whether to rig them hanging, or lashed to the timberheads.  I might do one of each.  Then of course, I have to make coils for all 4 of those ropes, and then coil the main anchor cable on the deck after running them through the hawse holes.

Once that's done, I have to fix the few swivel guns that are still not fixed, and I'll be done with the ship (but not the display base).  

Strange to be this close to finished after all this time.

Hi Brian:

I have to say the rope coils are also one of those things that I often think about doing and then never do! I did them on my AVS some years ago and also for the Corel Flattie and the Glad Tidings. They really help a lot to bring a model to life....I wish I could be as motivated to do them as I am to do the ratlines! Anyway, yours look great!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Congratulations on those headsail coils. I am a real "Coil Snob", I so often see model coils that rings false. Coils are one of those things all sailors understand, an aspect common to nearly every type of vessel, yet few model builders appear to grasp the subtleties of how coiling is done and what it looks like.  yours are very convincing.

Niagara USS Constitution 

Your coils are fantastic! I realize a lot of it is in the rope used, however, rope is still rope until a master such as yourself works it. I can hardly wait for your "magic show" on the anchors!!!

Brian,coils look absolutely real! Very good job. Congratulations! Except one first on the left side. To many glue. But maybe it must dry? I use the similar technology, but diluted the white glue with water. Proportion about 1: 3. The glue then is not visible. If I need to change the shape of the coil, used the hot air gun. The coil become more soft and are easy to change it shape. 

The model looks very well. Nice and clean. Many details as in real ship! I impatiently look forward to the next model.

Regards  Antanas

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Always can be done better, always can be done more!

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

My builds:

1.  75 mm Boat  - Master Korabel;

2.  95 mm Boat  - Master Korabel;

3.  Double boat  - Master Korabel;

Thank you all.  I'm fairly pleased overall with how they came out.

Brian,coils look absolutely real! Very good job. Congratulations! Except one first on the left side. To many glue. But maybe it must dry? I use the similar technology, but diluted the white glue with water. Proportion about 1: 3. The glue then is not visible. If I need to change the shape of the coil, used the hot air gun. The coil become more soft and are easy to change it shape. 

The model looks very well. Nice and clean. Many details as in real ship! I impatiently look forward to the next model.

Regards  Antanas

Good feedback Antanas, and yes, that coil on the left was still dripping wet when the photo was taken, it doesn't look like that anymore.  I am using a 1:1 glue/water mix, and every coil was thoroughly soaked, and as you can see from the photo's when it dries you can not see the glue at all.

Good tip on the hot air gun, I haven't tried that.

Very nice coils I will have to check back when I get to do them for the Brig. Great work and keep it up!

Ken

Current build: Maersk Detroit"
Future builds:  Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90
Completed builds: US Brig Niagara, Dirty Dozen, USS Constitution, 18th Century Armed Longboat
https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/11935-uss-constitution-by-xken-model-shipways-scale-1768/