Armed Virginia Sloop by GuntherMT - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:48

Congratulations!!!

Jean-Philippe (JP)

Current build: SyrenRattlesnake (Scratch built)

:dancetl6:Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel

On Hold: MayflowerHMS Victory Cross Section
Completed:   Armed Virginia Sloop, Viking ship,  The Flyer, Pilot BoatKrabbenkutterMarie-JeanneSloup, The Smasher

Congratulation Brian. Your AVS really deserved it. I have been lucky to attend some IPMS shows in Chicago and the level of

quality can be pretty high. I saw a model of the IJN Fuso done in card and was blown away. I met the builder and shamelessly tried to get him to come to a club meeting. Needless to say your AVS out shined the rest of the pack. Pat yourself on the back. Your model is beautiful and deserved it. To bad you do not live close so I can see it shine at the show in Manitowoc WI

David B

wi

Brian is the champion of The Arizona Shipwrights!! We are very proud of him and his work.

Congratulations Brian on your beautiful model and well-deserved award !   I enjoyed following along and seeing your amazing work and terrific pictures.

Congrats again !

Current Build: Willie L. Bennett - Model Shipways

Future Interests:  Friendship Sloop - BlueJacket Ship Crafters

Cape Cod Catboat - BlueJacket Ship Crafters 

Less than a week after finishing the AVS, yesterday I got up far too early, and spent the day at the annual model show put on in Phoenix by the local IPMS chapter. The Modelzona show is one of the largest annual shows, this year it had 550 entries, with my ship as the only non-plastic entry.   :)

I entered the AVS into the Surface Ships class that included some pretty amazing entries, including a 1/700 scale Japanese WW2 carrier in the middle of launching a strike, that had 313 little tiny crew figures servicing the planes and manning the guns etc., as well as 4 different entries by a guy who is a professional model-maker as his day job.

At the end of the day, the AVS did quite well. I took first place in Surface Ships, and also Best Ship (all ship/submarine classes).

Congratulations Brian!!

Thank you for all the kind words everyone. I'm on a bit of a break after completing the AVS, as I've decided that I was on a fairly certain road to a heart attack (or at least heart disease of some form) so I made a pretty major change in my life and joined a gym and hired a personal trainer, I believe I briefly mentioned this before. The current task is to transform my body into something less 'round' shaped, and in the progress see what happens with things like my blood pressure and cholesterol, etc.

Unfortunately for the ship building, this is eating up about 3 hours per day, 6 days per week, so my time in the shop has been pretty severely cut into or eliminated completely on most days (I also work full time). I'm very slowly working on a small plastic non-ship side project that I want to complete before I start on the next ship, and at the current rate, this 'two or three day' model might be done by Thanksgiving.  :)

I've decided that the next project is going to be a ship with minimal rigging, from the Civil War, so many of you may be able to guess what it might be!  Expect a build log to start somewhere near the end of November if all goes well.

Thanks again for your support, encouragement and help during the AVS build!

All the best Brian. It's funny how less shipyard work is good for some of our health problems and yet for others, present company included, more shipyard work is the solution.

Ian

We'll all be here looking forward to your next build Brian.  Just be sure and take care of #1 first.  No one else can do that but you.   :)

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Brian,

I didn't start on the road your on until way too late. Nevertheless, I've made some changes and lost 35lbs in the last 4 months! I found the trick is to incorporate the changes you want to make into your life. If you have a bad day, or week, so what? If you try for a particular diet or workout regime, it's too easy just to let it go when you weary of it. But, in my experience, generally try to make the right choices, incorporate them into your daily practice, and everything will work out. Concentrate on the process. You will make it happen.

Best,

John

PS. If you have the discipline and patience to build a model the quality of your AVS, the rest should be a piece of cake.....I mean carrot

Edited by Landlocked123

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Really really nice job Brian.  Your AVS came out so amazing and beuatiful.  Congradulations on the wins at the show.  I look forward to seeing the next one from the beggining.

Agam really beuatiful build

That was an awesome job on your Virginia Sloop!  I encourage you with your body rebuilding.  From my experience, the best way to keep at it and motivated, is to make it routine. At least three times a week, and hopefully five to really get a benefit. Do it the same time of day, so that it becomes automatic and less chance of talking yourself out of it.  For me, the best time was immediately after work, before I had a chance to sit down a relax, because once you've done that it's much harder to get going again.

I look forward to your Civil War  build.  That should be interesting.

Edited by rschissler

Current Build: Golden Hind - Mamoli - Galleon 1580

• 2 months later...

Less than a week after finishing the AVS, yesterday I got up far too early, and spent the day at the annual model show put on in Phoenix by the local IPMS chapter. The Modelzona show is one of the largest annual shows, this year it had 550 entries, with my ship as the only non-plastic entry.   :)

I entered the AVS into the Surface Ships class that included some pretty amazing entries, including a 1/700 scale Japanese WW2 carrier in the middle of launching a strike, that had 313 little tiny crew figures servicing the planes and manning the guns etc., as well as 4 different entries by a guy who is a professional model-maker as his day job.

At the end of the day, the AVS did quite well. I took first place in Surface Ships, and also Best Ship (all ship/submarine classes).

very much deserved!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

One last post on the old AVS log.  Just announcing to everyone who had this log followed, that I've finally gotten around to beginning the next build - the Model Shipways USN Picket Boat #1.

Build log - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13246-usn-picket-boat-1-by-gunthermt-model-shipways-scale-124/?p=404290

• 3 years later...
On 8/15/2015 at 6:55 PM, GuntherMT said:

I have actually started on the rigging, finally!  Not just messing around with serving and making a test shroud, but actually rigging!

Brian, I'm doing my first ever bit of rigging on my Medway Longboat build and, even though it is very simple rigging, I have found it rather confusing so I've been going at a snail's pace trying to learn how to do it properly. I just wanted to say thanks very much for your detailed descriptions about rigging the deadeyes and shrouds. I'm about to do that on my build and reading about how you did it has been extremely helpful. I think I'll go back and read your whole build log to see what other gems of information I can glean from it. Your model ended up being fantastic!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild