Hvide Orn/Hvita Örn 1711 in 3D

Hello folks!

As the title says, this is a 3D build log about the Hvide Orn, the first 'real' 12-pounder frigate and one of Peter Wessel´s flagships during the Great Northern War. My modelling tool is the latest version of Blender, textures are made with Gimp.

Plan (available at orlogsbasen.dk):

post-395-0-72564800-1361961246.jpg

There´s not much to show so far, but I started with the basic hull shape above the whales:

post-395-0-64645200-1361961183_thumb.jpg

post-395-0-63959000-1361961494_thumb.jpeg

For comparison, here are two of my older projects I´ve also made with Blender:

Southampton (plans by Richard)

post-395-0-97196500-1361961947_thumb.jpg

Sphinx (plans by AlexM)

74279320.jpg

Regards,

Stephan

beautiful work. that takes a completely different skill.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

Nice job, like it very much, found the software as well.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi Bava, I often use AutoCad LT for drawing up frames and such and I can get them laser cut by a friend but I'm not really good with 3d modelling - not a lot of practice! One thing does interest me though about programs like Blender, Delftship or SolidWorks; can you for example model individual planks for example on the 3d model and then 'remove' them, lay them flat and make a template? It could revolutionise planking!

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Thanks for the comments so far :)

@Yambo

Yes, you can do this with Blender - or any other advanced 3D application, for that matter. To to this, I´d model a simple plane, apply a solidify modifier to simulate the thickness of the plank and snap it onto the basic hull shape. A very tedious job, but it should work in my opinion. The result would look like a 3D planking extension: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/81961.html

Thanks Stephan, something else to take up my time then! Your two models, Southampton and Sphinx look very good. I'm more interested in producing a model in 3d and then using the individual drawing parts to make the actual thing. I guess that's how the kit making companies do it. I like the 3d drawings in their own right though and you have a different but impressive talent.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

@Yambo

I see. In theory, you could do this in Blender, too, but 3D programs with a strong CAD backround like Solidworks would be a better choice, in my opinion.

@SketchUpModeller

Yes, that´s the plan.  She´ll have a complete hull, interior (upper deck and gun deck, cabins), masts, rigging and all the necessary textures. It´s going to be a long journey, but I think the result will be worth it :)