Hull Bottom Copper Red and Model Shipways paints questions

Question: Does anybody have a picture of of their model with the hull painted with Model Shipways "Hull Bottom Copper Red"?

Reason I ask is that I just purchased the paint set to go with my Bluenose kit. However, after looking at the sample on the page for that specific paint, and the color of the paint on the actual Bluenose hull, the color seems way off. However, Model Shipways also has it listed as Venetian Red, which going by generic samples on the internet look like it might work?

Also, why does Model Shipways claim that their acrylic paints are ideal for airbrush use, but then put a disclaimer immediately below the description claiming that their paints are not compatible with airbrush use?

Here is a copy + paste of the paint description:

"High quality acrylic based paints can be thinned with water, thinner or alcohol. They clean up easily with water, making them ideal for airbrush use. Brushed or sprayed, paints dry flat with good grain structure and a smooth finish.

1 oz. bottles.

Note: color swatch you see will vary due to computer monitor/calibration differences and the fact that the computer screen is RGB. Color description at top will give you the best idea of the exact color. Model Shipways paints are not compatible with airbrushes."

Just slightly confused here! LOL!

p10543b.jpg

2012.png

Even if someone posts you a pic of the hull you are not going to get a true sense of the colour. Model shipways is quite correct when they say that colours vary according to the calibration of your computer screen. The only way you are going to know what the colour truly looks like is to actually buy a bottle and test it out. As to acrylics being incompatible with airbrushes I can understand your confusion. It is my understanding that, being water based, acrylics are the most versatile and forgiving type of paint o use in an airbrush. I've been using them for a while (a number of brands) and have had no issues at all. I have not used model shipways but I can't see how it would be any different.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Greetings Gary,

The color looks correct to me. I have it on the bottom of the Blue Jacket PT boat and their Charles P. Notman. Note that copper was entrained with a reddish based paint to give the paint anti fouling properties. You could get that paint in various colors, including copper. I think it was lead based, so it is probably not available today. I assume you will be applying it to a ship/boat built in the 20th century. I would research this before using it on a late 19th ship/boat since it may not have been available then. 

wq3296

The only thing that limits the use of a paint in an airbrush (with proper thinning to the consistency of 2% milk, recommended by the owner of Badger Airbrush), is the size of the paint flakes in the paint. Some paints have finer "grinds" than others.

Here is a great intro to airbrushing by Ken, and there are several other videos by the Wargamers Consortium on airbrushing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsW-vN0_lHw. I am not associated with any of them, I just learned a lot from the videos. I'm also starting on airbrushing.

The only thing that limits the use of a paint in an airbrush (with proper thinning to the consistency of 2% milk, recommended by the owner of Badger Airbrush), is the size of the paint flakes in the paint. Some paints have finer "grinds" than others.

Here is a great intro to airbrushing by Ken, and there are several other videos by the Wargamers Consortium on airbrushing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsW-vN0_lHw. I am not associated with any of them, I just learned a lot from the videos. I'm also starting on airbrushing.

Good morning! Thank you for posting that link... I'm going to spend some time watching it this morning. Definitely appears to be some good stuff there. I've tried working with acrylics in the past and haven't had much success with them which is probably why I've stuck with enamels. LOL! However as this is new territory for me (wooden ship models) hopefully will learn to work past my limitations here!

Again thank you!

Greetings Gary,

The color looks correct to me. I have it on the bottom of the Blue Jacket PT boat and their Charles P. Notman. Note that copper was entrained with a reddish based paint to give the paint anti fouling properties. You could get that paint in various colors, including copper. I think it was lead based, so it is probably not available today. I assume you will be applying it to a ship/boat built in the 20th century. I would research this before using it on a late 19th ship/boat since it may not have been available then. 

wq3296

Yes, I'm just getting started on building a copy of the Model Shipways Bluenose. Interesting point you raise though... the pictures I am currently using for reference is of the Bluenose II during the recent reconstruction. While I realize that the BN II is supposed to be a replica of the original, I admittedly hadn't given much consideration that the composition of the paint itself would have changed that much. That would indeed make a difference as well. Thank you! :-)

Edited by Reindeer (Gary Tooker)

Reindeer, I think acrylics have two big advantages over enamels - the quick and easy cleanup and much less vapours (particularly important indoors when the Admiral is in close proximity!!!) My favourite is Admiralty paints. They produce colours that are consistent with the colours used in the 18th and 19th century. I use a mix of 50% paint, 25% demineralised water and 25% clear windex. This gives a very watery consistency and I've never had a clogged brush or spattering. I run my compressor at 20psi. I also use a mini spray booth. Once you get the hang of acrylics, I doubt you will return to enamels.

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

• 5 months later...

Question: Does anybody have a picture of of their model with the hull painted with Model Shipways "Hull Bottom Copper Red"?

Reason I ask is that I just purchased the paint set to go with my Bluenose kit. However, after looking at the sample on the page for that specific paint, and the color of the paint on the actual Bluenose hull, the color seems way off. However, Model Shipways also has it listed as Venetian Red, which going by generic samples on the internet look like it might work?

Also, why does Model Shipways claim that their acrylic paints are ideal for airbrush use, but then put a disclaimer immediately below the description claiming that their paints are not compatible with airbrush use?

Here is a copy + paste of the paint description:

"High quality acrylic based paints can be thinned with water, thinner or alcohol. They clean up easily with water, making them ideal for airbrush use. Brushed or sprayed, paints dry flat with good grain structure and a smooth finish.

1 oz. bottles.

Note: color swatch you see will vary due to computer monitor/calibration differences and the fact that the computer screen is RGB. Color description at top will give you the best idea of the exact color. Model Shipways paints are not compatible with airbrushes."

Just slightly confused here! LOL!p10543b.jpg

2012.png

Why not look into self adhesive copper tape used by stain glass makers lots of widths on eBay. And no worry about the colour as it is copper and shines fabulously

Ongoing builds,

SCutty Sark Revell 1/350 (Mini Nannie)

Cutty Sark Airfix 1/130 (Big Sis)

Will (Everard) Billings 1/65 but with wooden bottom, because I can