The Ships Cat

Them Old Jokes

6 hours ago, geoff said:

I tried to cook an Octopus for dinner yesterday, trouble was it kept reaching out of the pan and turning the gas off !

Hi Geoff

Hehe. I get the joke....BUT, for some strange reason, I can't get the image of a real live occie doing just that (especially after seeing some documentaries about how smart those things are)!  

Sends shivers down my spine.

All the best!

Cheers

Patrick

neptune, geoff, mtaylor and 3 others like this

A man went to a rooftop bar for a drink. There was only one other person there, so he went and sat next to him. "What are you drinking?" Said the man. "Magic beer" . "Why is it magic beer". I'll show you. He took a sip, leaped off the roof, did a lap of the building & sat down with a smile on his face. "Wow", said the man . "let me try some". He took a sip of the mans beer and leaped off the roof. He hit the  ground with a crunch. The barman walked over to the man and said" You are a little devil when you have a drink superman". 

CDW, Omega1234, Canute and 5 others like this

Not sure what a Mother Susan represents, do know what a Lazy Susan is though. Nice sketch.

Feeling kind of washed out, think I'll go hang out in the Barracks.

58e39f3957191_DIRECTFROMCEARCLICK484.1.thumb.jpg.8b104e3e121e07f3c9a0ad49a87a2df1.jpg( NTC San Diego, 1959)

mtaylor, geoff, donrobinson and 5 others like this

27 minutes ago, CDW said:

San Diego = Hollywood :D

Indeed, I was.  Ended up being stationed at Santa Ana for a few years.  

Semper Fi to you.

Fort Dix  (Army - NJ) reopened their mothballed WWII wood frame barracks on stilts for all us draftees; right next to one of runways at McGuire AFB!  Lovely place to be in Dec-Feb. :(

All the talk of where people were stationed has set me wondering.  Is there anyone here who was stationed at Wheelus US Air Base near Tripoli, Libya?  I remember visiting it once, briefly, in 1957 (when I was stationed at RAF Idris, which much later became Tripoli International Airport).

I think Wheelus (and RAF Idris) ceased to operate about 1970, when Gadaffi took power from King Idris.

At our age we can hide our own Easter eggs, wait half an hour, and have no clue where they are. Happy Easter friends!

Anja, Eddie, CDW and 8 others like this

11 hours ago, probablynot said:

All the talk of where people were stationed has set me wondering.  Is there anyone here who was stationed at Wheelus US Air Base near Tripoli, Libya?  I remember visiting it once, briefly, in 1957 (when I was stationed at RAF Idris, which much later became Tripoli International Airport).

I think Wheelus (and RAF Idris) ceased to operate about 1970, when Gadaffi took power from King Idris.

Brian, got to Europe too late to go to Wheelus. I was based at Bitburg, Germany in 1973 and we'd deploy to Zaragoza, Spain for gunnery training. The number of units trying to use the available ranges on the continent was too many for the heavy training sortie requirements we had. A few "old heads" who'd been in my unit for years had been there and I think those bases closed in late '70 or early '71.