San Francisco 2 by Shaz - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Wood

It's amazing what sails do for a model. They just seem to make the boat "grow up" into a ship! Good luck on the running rigging...you're off to a good start!

Can't offer any better advice on belaying than has already been given!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

I am starting to build this boat and I have a few ideas.. a completely furniched Captain's room, opening doors, wood windows and adding a deck where the second row of cannons is located, so instead of just closed cannon doors, one will be able to look inside and see a deck with cannons and hopefully lanterns. I have built a mast for the "lifeboat". I also plan to have a real light in the great big lantern on the stern. This means figuring out where to perform some surgery on the formers. I also want to build real decks a la Skipjack, intead of using the supplied plywood decks. 

Sorry everyone, I still have no internet service at the house, and have been much too swamped at work to spend much time here, there are just not enough hours in the day right now!!!

Okay, bad news. The SFII is now officially relegated to the dry dock. As I was progressing through the running rigging, I ran into more cap rails that require being used as pin rails. Unfortunately there is no way to drill the holes in them without damaging the shrouds, the lines, or the rails themselves with the tools I currently posses. Not the end of the world, I did come up with an alternative and was prepared to continue; then I discovered I am short several double blocks for which I cannot complete the rigging without. I do not have the patience, to try to fashion my own, and at the moment my budget is stretched so tight I do not have the $20 necessary to purchase and have shipped a package of replacements. So, I have placed her in dry dock for awhile until I can procure the blocks I need and can finally finish her off. I will post pics this weekend when my internet is finally up and running again.

In the meantime I have now resumed work on the18th century longboat. I spent yesterday shaping the mast, the mast step, and the truck, complete with sheaves (what a b****). The best thing about the SFII and all the little things that made her a challenge to a first time builder is that I now feel confident in my skill to move forward on the next model. Although my "skill" is nowhere as as great as many of the builders on this site, I do feel I picked up enough knowledge from all my own mistakes, as well as those created by crappy plans to proceed. I know on my longboat, the planking is of much better quality than my first attempt here, so I do now feel ready to tackle the simple rigging on the longboat now!

Yes, Sjors, this also means the Syren call is much stronger!!! I have pulled the box out of storage....I think in a week or two, I will be able to officially start her!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Good idea switching over to the longboat for now.  You'll get back to SFII in your own good time.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Dr. Dafi has a cool Idea for fitting drill bits in dowels.........might be something worth asking about :)     that's the thing about kits in general,  you constantly have to look ahead........don't feel bad,  I do it as well.   either not drilling a hole that you'll need in step 70,  to not seeing inconsistancies in your build,  the problematic Mr. Murphy lurks in wait,  ready to jump out when you least expect it.   never get angry at it.......it feeds his Frankenstein.  laughter and a light heart is best......it thwarts him :)   quick thinking to resolves issues is especially unnerving to him as well..........missing parts,  just put it aside and work on something else until you can continue.   but do check out that possibility.........it may solve one jam,  anyway  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

That the same what i do with the Le Mirage Robbyn,

Put her on hold and go further with the SI.

Changing is not a bad thing.

Ask Popeye :D  :D 

Two weeks………give me an sign when you get started..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Sorry to hear about that Robbyn but working on something else is always a good option (at least for me, and the more people working on simultaneous builds the more I can tell the admiral I am not crazy!  :P )

Out of curiosity what size and how many double blocks do you need?  

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Dr. Dafi has a cool Idea for fitting drill bits in dowels.........might be something worth asking about :)     that's the thing about kits in general,  you constantly have to look ahead........don't feel bad,  I do it as well.   either not drilling a hole that you'll need in step 70,  to not seeing inconsistancies in your build,  the problematic Mr. Murphy lurks in wait,  ready to jump out when you least expect it.   never get angry at it.......it feeds his Frankenstein.  laughter and a light heart is best......it thwarts him :)   quick thinking to resolves issues is especially unnerving to him as well..........missing parts,  just put it aside and work on something else until you can continue.   but do check out that possibility.........it may solve one jam,  anyway  :)

I looked at Dafi's dowel idea. That is genius, I have dowels, and I have spare bits, so I can get Craig to CA them into the end of the dowel for me, or take it outside in a stiff breeze and do it myself. That will definitely solve the cap rail issue :D .

You hit the nail on the head though about looking ahead....that is the problem. Although I read, and read, and read again to be sure this problem would not occur, the fact that I was brand new to building, have no working knowledge of ships, and the biggest issue of trusting the manufacturer to have complete instructions, is why I am in the boat I am in.

I am so glad my other two builds are Chucks...at least in his instructions there are no missing details, he tells you in advance to do this now, because you will need it later.

However, now I know what to expect from other kit manufacturers. Next time I am reading through instructions I will have the working knowledge to know what they are talking about, so I can look at the plans and see the discrepancies between the plans and instructions.

So, all in all, the SFII has done exactly as I intended, she has served as a great learning tool. Not that she has taught me everything by any means, but I do feel much more confident going forward now.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

your doing a fantastic job.........I'd be the first to tell ya that ;)   I do hope you didn't glean that from my post.......I did not intend it that way :)

you should have been here for my first build {it was on the old MSW}.  I didn't know diddily......and I didn't cement between the planks......you should have seen my paint job!  it looked like morse code along the hull....a hundred times over!  ohhhhhhhh,  what I had to do to solve that problem.   remove all the paint......paint the hull about four times with diluted white glue.......resand and repaint.  yea,  I learned my lesson! ;)   I guess two things that helped me long,  is imagination and experimentation.   I'm always learning something new too.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

"the boat I am in" Pun intended Robbyn ?

It sounds to me like you picked a good kit to start with. You have learned so much from it that you may not have had it come with the best set of plans and instructions in the business.

Much you have learned, good builder you will become!

I may have mentioned before that my first kit was shy a few blocks but I just made them, it really isnt difficult and only takes a few minutes but I guess you are a bit over it now and no-one would blame you for that, all of us get that way now and then.

Having the other boat to go on with is a great bonus, I always had the mind set of one thing at a time so I only ever had one kit at a time but I now have the CW Morgan on hold and my big scratch Schooner I am starting to get into soon ( there is a LOT of thinking and planning to be done there before getting too heavily into it ) as well as the Royal Caroline but I think it a winter job maybe.

Popeye, nope never took anything you said in a negative light, trust me I know you have never been anything but supportive.

Jay, Syren blocks are all too small, I did think about using them lol. If they had been on the large side I would have used them anyway, but no luck...and too small for the rope I have anyway.

Steve,I am not giving her up forever, just dry docked until life works out some other details (money), then I will finish her up. Yes, if I did not have the other builds to fall back on I would probably try to fashion my own blocks, but you kind of said it exactly as I am feeling it,I am just kind of "over it" I am pretty disgusted with the lack of foresight, in the plans and instructions, as well as my own, and need to walk away right and focus elsewhere.

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Popeye, nope never took anything you said in a negative light, trust me I know you have never been anything but supportive.

Jay, Syren blocks are all too small, I did think about using them lol. If they had been on the large side I would have used them anyway, but no luck...and too small for the rope I have anyway.

Steve,I am not giving her up forever, just dry docked until life works out some other details (money), then I will finish her up. Yes, if I did not have the other builds to fall back on I would probably try to fashion my own blocks, but you kind of said it exactly as I am feeling it,I am just kind of "over it" I am pretty disgusted with the lack of foresight, in the plans and instructions, as well as my own, and need to walk away right and focus elsewhere.

Hi Robyn,

Many of us understand fully your dilema.  Its is why an artist will have a studio full of unfinished paintings, a bodymen a garage full of cars in primer, and myself, a workshop with shelves full of projects in various forms of finish.  Some may never get finished, at least by me.

To me, whom is very linear in his thinking, it drives me nuts to leave a project unfinished, but this hobby forces me to accept it. If the current model hits a snag, set it aside and move onto something else.  I have three projects drydocked for the same reason you are docking yours.  But I find other projects that do not require funds, or a lot of foresight, but just time.  Kinda why I started carving and looking at starting a ship in the bottle.  I have lots of scrap chunks of wood and wine bottles from the nights of working on the above said, unfinished, models.

Ahh, manufacturers drawings and instructions.  If you look at most of us who have built for a time, our prints and instruction books end up covered in notes and redmarks, dogeared, and re-stapled with the pages out of order.  Its part of the fun now, getting a new kit and then, as one put it, at least how I put a take on it, brings out our Frankenstein in us.  We may spends months laying tracing paper over plans and redrafting lines, angles, and lofts.  We may end up making photocopies of the instruction manual and putting the pages in a different order of build and cover the margins with notes.  Hell, at times we just through the manual out and use our builders notes.  You are learing a new phase in ship modeling, one that now uses your experience and combines it with trust and eptitude when starting a kit.

Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Hey Robbyn, I had my lady friend here today and we were talking about perfection etc and how she does things to a standard that make her happy. I told her about my Schonner for Port Jackson which we were looking at and the fact that there are imperfections there that I know about but no-one else would ever see because they see the whole thing.

I told her about your dilemas and starting, stopping, stripping and re-doing to try and get it right. She said to tell you about the Navajo (spelling?) indians and the rugs they make. Apparently they deliberately include errors in them because "nothing is perfect"

Good attitude I think.

Steve & Angela

Robbyn, I've spent several days reading your entire build log.  I must say all the things you've been through during this build have been quite the experience.  From knife injuries, CA allergies, teaching and of course getting married you've been through a lot.  I'm looking forward to seeing you finish the SFII, will check in on your long boat build, and be waiting until you start the Syren.  I think you're gonna love that one!

Best wishes!!

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Welcome Wes, OMG you read the entire log :o now that took some fortitude!!! But thank you for your visit and kind words! I am looking forward to actually finishing her, yet at the same time it was nice to work on the longboat this last week. The change of pace did my mind wonders!

Steve, you tell Angela her advice is of course spot on...that desire for perfectionism is one of my many flaws, but yet this hobby has indeed taught me that sometimes you just have to say it is good enough!!

Scott, very nice to see you again, I seem to have missed you most of the summer, obviously you have been busy with all your other projects! I do know what you mean, I have several different hobbies, quilting, and cross stitch being among the top, and have unfinished projects on each of those as well. My fear on ship building was that if I quit I would upset the hubby who bought me the kit last Christmas, after I convinced his disbelieving mind that I could do this!!! I did not want to let him down!

Keith, good to hear from you again! Glad to see things are still okay for you and you are moving forward. I really do want to see your SF...pm if you start a build log! Thank you for your generosity, I will send you a pm

Andy, you sure nailed that on the head! Reality Bites!!!

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Where she sits right now

post-127-0-15083100-1382205857_thumb.jpg

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station

Steve, you tell Angela her advice is of course spot on...that desire for perfectionism is one of my many flaws, but yet this hobby has indeed taught me that

sometimes you just have to say it is good enough!!

It takes 99% of your time to reach that last 1% of perfection.  At some point we all say, “it is good enough”.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

your  SF is at a great place to stop and take a break.  Finsihed enough to look like a ship and very presentable.

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

just seeing her as she sits now Robbyn,  looks great.  I try never to be angry at my work.......all it does is put a negative spin on progress.

If I can make it better......I try........but if not,  I leave it........and learn from it.   the next build will be all the better for it.   your perseverance with this build is very much applauded......it has definitely shown what a modeler and some wood can do.   I enjoy your work,  and hope to see more ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 5 weeks later...

There should be a list of all the timbers in the instructions somewhere, you have to determine which timber is which by measurements and descriptions in that list.

Newbie builder. you will have to sort your planks and measure them, then band them together and mark them yourself. I went out and bought a pair of digital calipers that will read in both inches and metric, that will help a bunch. you can buy them at an autoparts store for about $25

Robbyn

Current builds

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

In the closet

Battle Station