Andrea Gail by Popeye the Sailor - 1:20 scale - Finished

Better and better all the time.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Wayne  :)     they are cemented in place.........no chance to change them now ;)

thanks Bob.......one more day........and then I can get back to the table!  ;)

thanks for the good word and the likes!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

thanks Carl......I'm looking forward to it.......even though the admiral has spring cleaning on her mind  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

So much fine detail Popeye,

you`re thinking of everything a fishing craft requires....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

What they all said Denis, I really cant think of any better superlatives than have been expressed, other than superb.

You have every right to be extremely proud of her.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

......even though the admiral has spring cleaning on her mind ;)

Sounds familiar ..... battlestage: SPRINGCLEANING vs SHIPMODELING

Grass in homeyard has strange habit to grow ... and to get wild in spring ;)

Who will win? Rise your bets, gentleman !!!!

Ride your vacumcleaners, rise your dust cloth flags, and bravely enter the battle to earn your free time !!!

post-4738-0-03465200-1428997808.jpg

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thanks for the good word and likes!  ;)    yes,  I'm quite pleased with the way she's fitting out.   there are several more aspects that need to be added,  and then it's the finer bits of detail I want to add to finish her off.

I wish I was into weathering Matti......but I'm not that good.   my eyes are trained to see only the beauty........not the age.  I need more training ion that area ;)

I see you've been doing some looking for pictures of Nanny Dee,  Nenad.........look for the poem  'Tam 'O Shanter'  by Robert Brown {I believe that's who penned it}...and you'll get the low-down on the lore...right down to the horses tail,  she has clutched in her hand  ;)   I know what you mean though.......I promise to get as much build time in as I can  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

G'day Popeye

Spring clean with my admiral or doing model work? I know what I want to do, but I'm only a humble seamen, so the orders from the admiral ALWAYS win

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

thanks Greg..........I'll get some time in,  I'm sure  ;)    I made only a little progress yesterday......out running some errands and surveyed the yards.  the plow guy really did a number on the back yard...got some landscaping to do,  that's for sure.   very little snow is left on the ground now........so happy to see it gone.  

should have an update very soon  ;)     thanks for looking in!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm officially on vacation  :)   off to a slow start though.......Tuesday was an errand day,  ran a few of those and surveyed the yards......the plow guy did a number on the back yard.  it's not my problem.....I should let the landlord handle it,  but he'd do a crappy job....that I am sure of !  I can wait on it....there is still a small mound of snow and Ice that needs to go away  ;)

I did manage to do a small bit on Andrea,  but it was not enough to even mention.   yesterday proved to be the better day,  I did a lot more :)   the frame work that needs to go under the first part of the trawl rig was where I had left off.....Tuesday was mostly fitting it in place.  before I get to it though.......I recall a problem that was mentioned.  I believe it was Mobbsie,  that pointed out what looked like a small crack in the starboard side stanchion for the fore deck.  I took care of it my friend......I didn't forget about it.   thanks for pointing it out to me  :)

post-612-0-53883500-1429184987.jpg

...now for that piece of framework........   after fitting it,  it was touched up with flat white.

post-612-0-58350200-1429185182.jpg

it was then cemented in place.

post-612-0-66882200-1429185265.jpg

post-612-0-72434700-1429185279.jpg

seen in the picture.....is the starboard side stabilizer boom......pinned and cemented in place.   the main objective here,  is to figure how to rig them,  so the lines don't hinder anywhere.   this is tough,  because the telemetry seems a bit off....and with no real plans to work with,  the problem is compounded.   going into the collection of older decals I made,  I chose the ones that I will use for the control panel face.  for the levers,  I used some belaying pins,  which Billing's supplies in their kits.

post-612-0-75003000-1429185650.jpg

dry fitting it in place.......the reel on the bow side will be deployment reel.  the one on the aft side will be for the anchor weight {counter weight,  would be a better name}.

post-612-0-22802800-1429185935.jpg

the pulley {block} assembly for this will need to be high up,  but no higher than the top bar.  I will use a double and a single block for this assembly.   the single block will be located just below the contact point of the yoke,  where it rests when not in use.  an eye bolt will be located at the tip of the boom for a line to widen the weight distribution of the rigging.

post-612-0-64498800-1429186354.jpg

sorry for the background being so busy,  here on the table.  you may have to look close.  the double block.......the dilemma.........where to position it.  I can't put it on any of the side frames.......it would be too far aft,  and it would want to pull it aftward.  there are the guide bars that I need to add later {those other brackets I made},  and that will pull them forward,  to align them with the yoke.   I decided to put the double block just under the top bar,  behind the yoke.

post-612-0-54110900-1429186867.jpg

it imitates a peak halyard,  to sum it up in a nutshell.  I like the way it looks,  but the upper line going to the eye bolt,  is hindered by the top bar and yoke.   I will try something different with the port side,  and if it works better,  I can adjust the starboard side.  I won't need to change where the control panel is.......this is the most logical spot for it.

post-612-0-96249700-1429187190.jpg

post-612-0-01973000-1429187207.jpg

clearly,  the problem is here.   looking at it at this point,  I may have to relocate the double block to the forward side of this anchor point.   we shall see ;)

post-612-0-16965800-1429187369.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye.......you are going great guns. Your eye for details POP my EYEs out. Sorry for the pun!

Have fun on your holidays, lets hope the admiral isn't too hard on you with the spring cleaning! Just tell her you live in Australia and its almost winter. So no spring for cleaning.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Working pully system, highly detailed switches? Outstanding Dennis! Having a mechanical background, and understanding how things work, is paying off tremendously. You definitely have an eye for detail. Very nice!

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Sorry.......I'm speechless!  (Great control panels).

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi  Denis.... really can't add much more than has already been said, but I'll say this ''''It sure is sweeeeeet looking!!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks for the kind comments and likes.......and a warm welcome Jack...glad to see new faces looking in.  not totally positive as to how these are rigged,  but the pictures do show lines governing these particular points on the booms.  for all I know,  these could have been separate lines,  but this type of rigging assembly combines the two together.  it does show functionality,  and that,  is of course what I was shooting for.  I might have to amend what I said earlier though......I'll have to place the double block aft of the yoke.   if I go forward,  it may interfere with the counter weight,  and this will be rigged with chain.

since this seems to be a step in the right direction,  the other aspect should be toyed with......the alignment of the booms.  they tend to swing aft,  most likely due to not taking the curve of the hull into perspective,  in the positioning on the boom brackets.   I'll get into this later when I make more progress.

thanks again for the comments,  likes and for looking in......I raise a glass.....or,  even a boom...in your honor!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Frank!   kinda makes me look like I know something.......huh!!!  :D  :D  thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I think the others have said it all... I'm a bit like Augie right now.. speechless.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wel sailor ... you finally got them silent ... Mark and Augie ... doesn't happen that often ... ;)  I do have to admit that you have given a tremendous, stunning performance of prowes and creativity ... Sometimes mind boggling ... other times nerve wrecking ... and the end is - lucky us - not jet in sight :) Keep on going mate!!!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

It's really coming togetherand looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Mark,  Carl,  and Bob...........oh,  yes....still more to go.   forget what I said earlier about the positioning.......sometimes I don't know which side my pulley's at....hee...hee......... :rolleyes:   my second idea in rigging this is working out better than I thought.   it looks even better too

perhaps I can show you......give me a moment  ;)   thanks again for the good word and the likes! :piratebo5:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John......:)

so anyway......now that I have my mind straight.......it needs to be forward......the counter weight reel is aft.  basically,  my original idea is good,  just that the telemetry is a bit off.  to avoid having the termination line hinder on the top bar,  the double block needs to be in a more forward position.   I was looking at the aft spotlights,  doing some touch ups,  when the thought came to me......a bracket.  two more pieces of the styrene tubing were cut......actually four,  but whose counting ;)   these were cleaned,  sanded square,  and cut in half.   a couple triangular pieces of styrene was cut from the flat stock strip,  I had cut earlier.   glued to one half of the tubing.......these were roughed out.

post-612-0-33022200-1429219578.jpg

they need to be trimmed and rounded.  while they were drying,  the other control panel was threaded and made ready to cement into place on the deck.   this time I made it a point to hang a clothes pin to the end and let it hang......in order to get the memory out of the thread.   there was some serious kinking being on that flat card it comes on. 

post-612-0-14999100-1429219953.jpg

then,  in checking them and finding that they were dry enough,  I took the first one and shaped it.   a hole was drilled for the eye bolt.   I started to work on this one.

post-612-0-50833300-1429220090.jpg

the other one is already on the bar by this time.

post-612-0-06671000-1429220135.jpg

post-612-0-05902700-1429220148.jpg

the other half was cemented in place to complete the bracket.  the spotlights will be done in the same manner......I had cut them with a razor blade,  so there was no material loss,  and no gap would be seen.   given a light sanding,  it isn't noticeable at all.  the eye bolt and double block was fitted in place.

post-612-0-66656900-1429220386.jpg

I mentioned those other brackets for the stabilizer booms.  I guess you could call them sway bars.....this bar will arrest the boom,  to keep it in a equal arc as it is deployed,  and prevent sway fore or aft.  there is one for the aft side.....it is chain,  but it isn't critical........I'll show this later.   the forward sway bar does most of the work.  the port side is cemented in place.

post-612-0-41705200-1429221111.jpg

since I plan to have them deployed,  not connected to the yokes,  I cut the bars to what I figured was reasonable.  I would have had to do some figuring to come up with the correct radius........these will do  ;)  eye bolts have been added to one end.  I'll have to watch how much of this dowel I use........or I'll end up getting more for the buoys  :D  :D

post-612-0-78492400-1429221462.jpg

the spotlights were touched up......even added a touch of flat white to the florescent tubes......mixing it around to activate the silver,  mixing it together.

post-612-0-20903800-1429221591.jpg

after a pair of eye bolts were added to the other end of the bars,  they were painted flat white.

post-612-0-83851200-1429221670.jpg

when the control panel was dry,  it was rigged through the double block.........clamping the clothes pin on again,  because I added more to the length of the thread.  the sway bar bracket was painted green at this time as well.

post-612-0-06154100-1429221840.jpg

it was time to add the clear cello to the spotlights,  completing their assembly.

post-612-0-77716300-1429221938.jpg

I also thought about the counter weight  rigging........this too needed some sort of bracketing to prevent the chain from sagging.   taking two of those rings,  shown earlier,  they were spread out far enough,  to clamp on the boom's outer framework at different places.   two did the trick.

post-612-0-66779900-1429222260.jpg

an eye bolt was added as well for the sway bar attachment.   so.......both booms are permanently attached to the model now.   how they are deployed is the way she will look.   now I need to turn her around and duplicate what I did on the port side.   the addition of the double block bracket was a success,  there is no more hindrance...the rigging is free.

post-612-0-22479300-1429222599.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Your AG's going to be marvelous displayed like that if you leave her as is, but like Patrick, I wonder how big the case will need to be. Guess it won't really matter, because with them up, the case will need to be taller.   :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild