HMS Triton 1:48 (cross section) by Kevin

please be patient

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

We're modelshipbuilders.  Patience goes with the territory.  :D  :D :D  :D   Ok... so much for that.  Now where's the sawdust? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

well i made a start, a few days away from making sawdust though

1x cherry planking

2x pear framing

1x sycamore-don't know what for (forgotten)

1x maple decking

also bought a chuck for my lathe, was fed up not being able to centre the lumber

and a couple of proxxon blades for the fet 

i may purchase the brynes sander for crimbo

post-846-0-93236500-1414518447_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-87766900-1414518450_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-73046500-1414518453_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-73563700-1414518456_thumb.jpg

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

That's a nice pile of wood, Kevin.   Time to tune up the table saw and scroll saw I guess. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

i contacted Jim Brynes tonight wrt to the

thicknesssander1.jpg

i await his reply for the shipping costs to the UK

i have also included the drawplate

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

silly question time

what glue to stick the templates to the timber

i have never heard of this glue which is quoted in the Assembling frames tutorial- is this copydex 

quote"
Cut paper-form glued on the timber, here components for different double frames, 
so marking with the number of the frame is important in order not to mix them. 
You see also the special glue ( a rubber cement "Fixo Gum" by Marabu) 
I used which is possible to remove afterwards without any rests on the surface of the wood! 
(Highly recommended glue and many thanks to Jim who sent me this tube ) "

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

There are a number of topics about that - no consensus, people use different glues. I use paper stick glue, then scrape away the paper. A bit of sanding is needed anyway, and it removes all traces of a glue completely.

I used rubber cement and rubbed off the residual glue after peeling off the paper.  I still use this method.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Wow Kevin,this went well under my Radar :D As for gluing your patterns to the timber,you can't beat good old fashioned Pritt-stik in the UK ;) Apply to the wood,carefully lay the paper template on and smooth from the centre outwards with a bank card,plastic offcut etc.I find it is best to leave a couple of hours before commiting to the saw,then you don't end up with the paper lifting.Removal is easy with a wet cloth and the adhesive residue is easily cleaned off and leaves no discoloration :) .

Anyway,I wish you all the best with your build mate and will be following along

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

I have found that a Elmer's Glue Stick works great. Used for kids art projects, patterns stay in place and leaves little residue that cleans off with a damp cloth.

I'm sure they have a similar product in England.

Pictures of new tools and a stack of wood, does life get any better than that?! ....I think not ;)

Sincere Regards,

Bill 

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Hi Kevin,

Looks like a great start.  I am considering the Triton cross section also so will look forward to following along.

What are the dimensions of the wood you are and how do you plan to cut it to size? I would think the proxxon saw would not be able to handle the size planks you have shown.

I have the Byrnes saw and am also looking at his sander but am not sure whether hooking it up to a shop vac will keep the dust down. I work in a room of the house and need to exercise some constraint about sawdust :-)

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Hi Kevin,

Looks like a great start.  I am considering the Triton cross section also so will look forward to following along.

What are the dimensions of the wood you are and how do you plan to cut it to size? I would think the proxxon saw would not be able to handle the size planks you have shown.

I have the Byrnes saw and am also looking at his sander but am not sure whether hooking it up to a shop vac will keep the dust down. I work in a room of the house and need to exercise some constraint about sawdust :-)

Richard

Good morning Richard

I dont have all the answers yet, 

i have a band saw, scroll saw, bench sander, wood lathe, proxxon saw table and drill press

i also have a thicknesser but is to big to do this work (i believe) and has metal blades (damaged)

i await Mr Brynes for a shipping cost of his thicknesser to the UK (even if it was to arrive tomorrow it is NOT going to be opened before Chritmas) - LOL

the wood I purchased is mainly 2"x 2"x 24" so i am going to see what i can do with what i have available

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

just deleted  a load of stuff

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin,

On the pattern gluing question, one trick I picked up reading a scroll saw forum was to apply blue Painters tape to the wood first, then stick the pattern on top of that. The painters tape is low tack, so removal after cutting is easy and virtually no residue to clean up. You can buy the Painters tape in a variety of widths in you local hardware store. The glue you use for the pattern then doesn't matter. I prefer to print on sticky label paper, but some prefer a spray adhesive.

Hope this helps.

i received the quote (p&p) from Jim Brynes for the thicknesser - paid , so hopefully it will be here before the big guy in red arrives

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

You're going to love that Byrnes machine Kevin. In six months you won't remember the price, but you'll still be in love with the machine! :)

Well i have had a go, used some crappy white wood from under the work bench, measurement wise it is spot on, so im happy

now to try with my purpose bought wood, is this enough to be granted access to the next set of drawings, please?

post-846-0-60587700-1414760986_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-69219300-1414760988_thumb.jpg

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

good evening everyone

well after the 4th attempt i got it right, well i did on the 3rd as well but cut the 3 length the wrong size

i wanted a darker wood for the false keel so used some from my scrap wood pile

post-846-0-45625200-1414772427_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-14722300-1414772431_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Thank you Juergen

not much to show but that was a big fence for me to jump hopefully as I gain more confidence with my tools I will get better 

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

looks really good, Kevin

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Nicely done.  Clean, crisp and looks great.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I am itching to move forward, lol (i must wait for admin)

what did I learn on Day 1

Well all my tools don't cut straight, which i was aware off, but in real life it didnt matter, since dinner time yesterday all the cutting guides are checked with set squares, wow what a difference 

Also - it may look right on the first attempt, but would it look better on a second one - in my case yes

Don't be frightened of the tools, treat them with care, and remember they will bite, but they were bought for the purpose just have to learn what that purpose is.

Do wear eye and ear protection 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Kevin,

I've found that always square up the machine tools and adjust/calibrate as necessary.  Seems they have a mind of their own when you turn them off and leave the room. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: