ROYAL CAROLINE 1749 by Doris - 1:40 - CARD

Incredible stuff!

If you're sending out Christmas cards next year I'll have an HMS Victory in 1/72 scale please.

I showed a mate Tarjacks bone ship yesterday and he was stunned. When I tell him your ship is made out of paper and card I'm not sure he'll believe me.

It's truly refreshing to see such artistry still practiced in this age of gadgets and instant fulfillment.

Amazing!

Best Wishes,

TSC.

TO THE MEMORY OF TRIM

"The best and most illustrious of his race.
The most affectionate of friends,
faithful of servants,
and best of creatures.
He made the tour of the globe, and a voyage to Australia,
which he circumnavigated,

and was ever the delight and pleasure of his fellow voyagers."

Written by Matthew Flinders RN in memory of his cat

Hello Doris, that's a very nice helmsman you have there! I am as always impressed by your talent and your attention to detail. 

Therefore, just as a help for you to make the things look more realistic and not as a criticism of any way, please find attached a sample made putting together details from two different Willem van de Velde drawing depicting people aboard two of the yachts of King Charles the 2nd of England. Even if the drawings are about one hundred years earlier, I believe the sailor's clothes would have been the same. 

As you can see in the drawing, the crew usually had a long mantle with sleeves, long pants and always wore tarred hats to protect themselves against the wind, sea and sun.

Moreover, I believe the position of the long wooden pole connected to your yacht's rudder may be too raised up. It should have been made parallel with the deck and going just above the deck light in such a way that the metal ball terminating the rudder post would be at the proper height for being grasped by the helmsman's hand. 

Hope this helps..  anyway, you can as well leave everything just as it is, it looks stunning anyway!

post-4317-0-34423700-1389872831_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your comments dear friends!

I'm struggling to find any fresh words to describe the wonder of your artistry Doris, suffice to say it is a pure joy to look at the photo's and marvel.

The Lion and Unicorn name plate is a beautiful and inventive touch.

Regards,

B.E.

Well, I like making sculptures of animals, so i decided to put some next to the name plate. I tried to create something new, what i have never seen on any model.

Incredible stuff!

If you're sending out Christmas cards next year I'll have an HMS Victory in 1/72 scale please.

I showed a mate Tarjacks bone ship yesterday and he was stunned. When I tell him your ship is made out of paper and card I'm not sure he'll believe me.

It's truly refreshing to see such artistry still practiced in this age of gadgets and instant fulfillment.

Amazing!

Best Wishes,

TSC.

I also know Tarjack masterpiece and first I was very surprised to see, that his ship is made of bone. Looks incredible!

Hello Doris, that's a very nice helmsman you have there! I am as always impressed by your talent and your attention to detail. 

Therefore, just as a help for you to make the things look more realistic and not as a criticism of any way, please find attached a sample made putting together details from two different Willem van de Velde drawing depicting people aboard two of the yachts of King Charles the 2nd of England. Even if the drawings are about one hundred years earlier, I believe the sailor's clothes would have been the same. 

As you can see in the drawing, the crew usually had a long mantle with sleeves, long pants and always wore tarred hats to protect themselves against the wind, sea and sun.

Moreover, I believe the position of the long wooden pole connected to your yacht's rudder may be too raised up. It should have been made parallel with the deck and going just above the deck light in such a way that the metal ball terminating the rudder post would be at the proper height for being grasped by the helmsman's hand. 

Hope this helps..  anyway, you can as well leave everything just as it is, it looks stunning anyway!

You are right, thank you for your advice. The wooden pole is in bad position, i looked again into plans and will try to repair it. The clothes were made according paintings of sailors from 18th century, but i was not sure, if I chose right.
post-1353-0-15638500-1389874750_thumb.jpg

post-1353-0-96920800-1389874881_thumb.jpg

http://www.victorianpicturelibrary.com/sailors-18th-century

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

it's amazing what you can see through the windows........I feel like a peeping Tom!!!   beautiful work Doris.......those lanterns are outstanding.   simply fantastic work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Beautiful as always, Doris.  Just beautiful work.

Could you tell me what adhesive you use to attach the clay pieces to each other and to the model, and how you finish them after installation.  There is never a trace of glue around the tiny parts.   Thanks.

The helmsman is looking good too.  The hat will be a nice touch.  Since this is a royal yacht, and there are high-ranking people aboard, I think that he would be dressed in his best uniform most of the time.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

You said in an earlier post that you are still learning and can always make it better???!!! I do not know how it could be any better, or any more perfect!!!

Beautiful!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Doris,

your work is candy for eyes and Soul and causes admiration pure. One sits back in a comfortable chair and breaths in the pics whilst the atmosphere provided by the art, arrangement, figures, furniture, etc. creates the wish in ones mind to take walk on board, in a Long back laying century.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Totally mind blowing, every time I fold up a little paper boat I think how far I could go!!!!!

Your work is truly Inspirational 

Thank you so much

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Hello dear friends,
I appreciate your support and kind words a lot, thank you for your feedback and good advise.
Well, I have changed the long wooden pole connected to the rudder - now it is in a right position ( I hope ;) )  and also improved the helmsman's dress a little bit. The hat could be also good touch, but I would like to let helmsman´s head without changes ( I made him according to my friend from Czech forum and I want to preserve resemblance of his face and hair). Maybe I will make a hat and place it into his hand.

20140117224329-231507-v.jpg

20140117224311-231506-v.jpg

20140117224242-231505-v.jpg

20140117224223-231504-v.jpg

You are right that people on royal yacht wore their best uniforms, unfortunately I have only few pictures from museums that can help me to imagine, how to create dresses for some crew members. Please, if you have some pics, I will be very grateful for them.

Beautiful as always, Doris.  Just beautiful work.

Could you tell me what adhesive you use to attach the clay pieces to each other and to the model, and how you finish them after installation.  There is never a trace of glue around the tiny parts.   Thanks.

Dan

I use medium dense cyanoacrylate adhesive, but it is important to apply accurately and in a small amount.

Here you can see, how I glue together clear parts using this adhesive:

And here are new pics of the model:

20140117224348-231508-v.jpg

20140117224409-231509-v.jpg

20140117224429-231510-v.jpg

20140117224447-231511-v.jpg

Kind regards,

Doris

Doris

Current build:

Today I have got a surprise for you, there was another report on TV about my hobby and work ( i am a teacher at secondary school), so you can watch it here at this link:

http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilani/10122978233-udalosti-v-regionech-ostrava/414231100030117-udalosti-v-regionech/obsah/303453-modelarka-stavi-plachetnici-z-18-stoleti-i-s-posadkou/

Please, enjoy it and have a great time. :piratebo5:

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

Doris... I've said it before , but I'll say it again...... You are just amazing!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Doris, simply amazing!!!

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

simply amazing!!!   .........and on TV no less!   I see educational television has gotten a lot better!   kudos for shedding more light on our hobby!   I wish they would do that in our country!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Stunning work as always Doris. I love the way all of your figures are made resembling friends and family - what a lovely personal touch!

Hello dear friends and thank you warmly for your kind words and recognition, I am extremely honored!!

Well, I must say that I was so much nervous during filming the reportage. My students helped me a lot, I like them very much. We are friends.
 I'm glad that was paid attention on TV to this beautiful hobby that connects us all together.

On Royal Caroline I have improved and added another details. Please, enjoy the pics and have a great time.

Best regards,
Doris

20140118180808-231605-v.jpg

20140118180747-231604-v.jpg

20140118180722-231603-v.jpg
20140118180704-231602-v.jpg

20140118180644-231601-v.jpg

20140118180622-231600-v.jpg

20140118180558-231599-v.jpg

20140118180524-231598-v.jpg

Doris

Current build: