28 foot Ranger type yacht by Mark Pearse - 1:12 - FINISHED

I've now finished the display stand. I've got a deadline to try & finish the last details of the model, if any of the Sydney forum members are interested there's an evening at our sailing club, talks by Bill Gale, Sean Langman & myself - & the model will be there - Wednesday 5th June. It's on the Ranger yachts generally & Cliff Gale's legacy of designs. Send me a message & I'll send more information.

John, I did consider keeping the bark on the base timber, but a section of bark was missing & I was more confident of the result with it removed.

Keith, yes, I was just using the timber as a stand to show off the brass on (while looking for a chisel to open the tin of paint).

The timber base was finished with 2 coats of clear polyurethane rubbed on with a rag, then rubbed with 000 steel wool dipped in beeswax/gum turpentine furniture polish, then rubbed with a cloth.

This shows how the brass tubes were filled with epoxy glue & drilled for the fixings - this technique was firstly to save cost (tube is 1/5th cost of a solid), & I don't have the equipment to drill out or thread the end of a solid. The brass flats were bend & shaped by hand.

IMG_6850.thumb.jpg.c638973cfa30c81169fbf843d53bb29c.jpg

Unsurprisingly the keel support was a bit too flexible, so I soldered an inner flat bar.

IMG_6851.thumb.jpg.428fe0e49bbae56619b82fada6f672b0.jpg

IMG_6852.thumb.jpg.ba6591dd5602bb27b358e3b8f6b51abe.jpg

The dremel was able to give enough heat for this job. The brass was cleaned up & patinated to a dark brown, to tone it down visually, & was lined with some leather, then screwed together. The brass rods were glued into the timber & the timber will get some pads underneath, probably some unfinished cork.  The holes in the timber weren't done by eye, my brother has a bench drill so I used that.

IMG_6859.thumb.jpg.894329c8b82dc57a6c371f527a78d7a7.jpg

IMG_6857.thumb.jpg.35c731ee82c8a0e4321ba91e56f4e725.jpg

IMG_6856.thumb.jpg.b2fc163492b11a58b9ccb4e4400db793.jpg

IMG_6855.thumb.jpg.4ca31dc0f9bf3ebe124457ce42cadb32.jpg

IMG_6853.thumb.jpg.c60799d0480a411401fd831b0aa1b8ca.jpg

Wow.   Love the display.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

19 hours ago, Mark Pearse said:

Unsurprisingly the keel support was a bit too flexible, so I soldered an inner flat bar

Very neatly done Mark. Given your machine tool limitations you achieve remarkable results.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

thanks everyone

Hi Vaddoc,

the sail numbers are self adhesive vinyl cut to order, but there aren't so many places that do 25mm size. I looked at 'Letraset' type lettering but it's more expensive & the range available is limited these days. For the adhesive stuff, you order a few extras & it might not cost any more but it gives you a couple of sets to try your hand with. The transom lettering is also adhesive vinyl, but I had to go to the USA to order them - http://smalllettering.com They were helpful & good to deal with, & likewise I was able to order extras in different fonts/italics etc & then select when they arrived & experiment with the others.

Most of the final details have now been done, but I haven't done a spinnaker pole, & it's an important detail so I'll probably make one. Below are photos of the rope coils etc. Initially I did a couple of coils by winding the rope around a piece of stick & then adding glue - & the result was realistic but I doubt that they would look good on a model. It became clear that the slightly messy yet realistic coils would catch the eye & stand out too much. I realised that the point of doing them neatly is that they don't stand out excessively on the model.

The coils were done by drawing an ellipse on a cork base, putting a piece of clear plastic over, & putting a series of pins on the line. Glue was PVA/water about 2:1, then superglue for the lashings & ties. A sharp eye can see that the CA actually stains the thread a little. On some models that might be unacceptable, but I accepted it as part of the ropework colour variations generally.

Anyway here's how they came up; halyards coiled at the mast:

IMG_6862.thumb.jpg.81388865e14b1868386ccfa110679feb.jpg

Running backstay:

IMG_6865.thumb.jpg.27b551e2cb76efee8e50a5e27b715e60.jpg

Jib sheet:

IMG_6864.thumb.jpg.57b99b55144308b1f09806f1d7b1ac08.jpg

Lazy jib sheet, mainsail sheet:

IMG_6867.thumb.jpg.ff5e2f1aca166a70bc1655435fd0fd9d.jpg

Main sheet again:

IMG_6866.thumb.jpg.d3d1f0e745b02d6140d800ccd80ae562.jpg

There's a few stains on the thread from the old pins; I scraped some of it off with the tip of a knife but left some on, the odd stain looks quite good.

All looking very smart Mark.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Thanks for the invite to the "Cliff Gale's Legacy" talk tonight, it was very informative. Cliff was a great designer.

I stood and looked at the model from several different angles and the hull just looks right, no matter where you view it from.

The model is larger than I thought and I'd have to call it museum quality, just beautiful and it was good to meet her builder.

Hi Steve

thank you, it was very good to meet you.  I'm glad you enjoyed the event, Cliff's boats are getting more attention & interest these days - the attention is mainly because of their surprising performance in races against boats of any vintage...which is ironic as he designed them more to do simpler things well: fishing, picnicking, camp cruising & single handed sailing. 

I liked your idea of the scaled Tammie Norrie model - I hope you get to that one.

Imagine what a Cliff Gale designed racing boat could do!

Edited by Bedford

Mark, What an exquisite model! It is a pity that I live so far away, I would certainly enjoy seeing the model up close.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Mark,

I like very much the classic style of your yacht and you made a marvelous model of it.
In one of your posts you showed a beautiful action picture of  the 'Stella'. I am experimenting a bit with oil paint to learn to paint and used that picture as model for my first marine canvas.
I hope you don't blame me for the use of your picture before asking permission.

1596892774_28ftRangeryacht.thumb.JPG.83eb77b3748810605437097ba8820662.JPG

Hi GL

that's beautiful, & it really looks like the boat. (It's a photo of our boat Cherub, which is 24' - 4' shorter than the model design, but with the same beam dimension & cockpit size).

Very well done & I hope this one gives you encouragement to do some more marine paintings. I'm very glad you liked this photo enough to paint it.

Mark

Edited by Mark Pearse